Extra Tips When Buying A New or Used Car

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by May102014 • Jul 30, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    What are some of the qualities you look for when buying a new or used car? I prefer the long lasting ability and less fuel intake as the good features. I do not prefer super style or HD sound system. I prefer comfort but I am not entirely car savvy either. I know my boyfriend gets really technical in terms of cars he purchased in the past. I don't want to be a person who is clueless when it comes to getting cars. What tips can you offer someone who is buying a car, new or used?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only purchased a second hand car so I could only give tips for you when buying a used car.

• check if the air conditioning is working
    • check the tires if they're new (it's a plus)
    • see to it that the car was never in an accident before
    • ask if there is a history of overheating
    • see if the radiator has a leak
    • the paint should be in good condition
    • see to it that all the lights are functioning (headlights, tail lights, brake lights, etc.)
    • check the wipers
    • check the power windows if they are functioning
    • ALWAYS TEST DRIVE THE CAR

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My biggest tip for buying a car is to FIRST figure out your budget. What can you pay for a monthly expense? This number helps in factoring out the out details of brand, features, etc.

Edmunds.com has an

feature. Also, many banks have similar aids to help consumers determine what they can pay based on household expense.

4. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I check for what is mentioned above plus:

Any weird noises that the car makes when on a test drive
    See if parts that require replacing at regular intervals have been well maintained and see which parts are about to need to be replaced, and the repair costs.
    Rust, especially under wheel arches.
    Cracks or deep chips in alloy wheels (If there is alloys)
    Check oil and coolant levels, you can usually tell that the car hasn't been looked after if the oil is all black and seems like it has never been changed before, or the levels are incorrect.

5. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    When buying a new car, there are several factors that you'll need to take into consideration. Firstly, you should ensure that you look for the dealer that has the best warranty on the new vehicle of your choice. Furthermore, you'll need to ask around to find out whether the dealer you are interested in working with offers servicing of your new vehicle of choice for the same period that the warranty spans .
    A warranty of between three and five years is pretty good, and if the dealership offers to service your vehicle free of cost for the duration of the warranty that they have placed on your new vehicle, then that is also a very good option. However, it is important for you to acknowledge that there are dealerships that will offer only to service your new vehicle at no cost for one-to-two service periods, rather than for the entire duration of the warranty on the vehicle.
    As for the factors that you will need to take into consideration when you are venturing unto the path of purchasing a used vehicle , it is important that you consult a mechanic so that he/she can take a thorough check of everything that should be in place to ensure that you are, in fact, purchasing a reliable and worthwhile vehicle .
    On the other hand, however, if you are not able to access a mechanic , then it is important that you yourself check to ensure that certain crucial parts are sufficiently functional, such as: the disc rotors, shocks, brake pads, and control arm . Also, check on the engine compartment (the engine block), and make sure that there is no oil leaking from it. Make sure that this part is in working condition: the radiator (which should not be leaking or making any "weird noises", via a "pressure test" technique); and all lights should be working on your used vehicle .