Extreme Cheapstakes

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Farrah • Oct 17, 2012.

1. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    OMG did anyone see this on TLC last night? Its on Tuesday nights at 10pm. This lady saved paper towels she used in public restrooms, picked all of her furniture from the garbage or off of the streets of New York. My all time favorite is that she doesn't even use toilet paper. SHe prefers to wash and rewash her wash cloths.... I like to save a buck, but all I can say is .... WOW.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, didn't see the show. I hadn't even heard about it until I read your post. It sounds to me like that is taking things just a bit too far. Maybe as the show progresses and they have more episodes, you might be able to pick up a good tip or two here or there but it sounds like it is a bit too extreme for me!

3. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's insane! It's definitely a lifestyle. There's no way that I could live like that - even to save money.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eewwwww! That's nasty. Doesn't she worry about odor especially when it's hot. Saving a buck is one thing, quality of life is another.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I just saw another episode, and these people are just ridiculous. I also like to save a buck like the next guy. Buy come on, dumpster diving for food and serving it to your guests, while you are a millionaire? Not understanding why your guests left? Never buying a piece of furniture, so your bed came from a college dormitory dumpster? I just shudder to think what that mattress was used for.

6. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    LOL!! She must have saved a fortune over the long-run. I don't think I could go without as much as she has just to save a bit of money. How much did she save anyway?:D

7. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I'm recording this today! I will come back and talk about it a bit more.

8. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    That would seem to me to cost more than using TP.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes - especially if you were very 'regular' in your bathroom visits. These days, there are some good quality toilet rolls available, and if you stock up when they're on offer, you don't need to spend much at all. Some things are just too extreme for anyone, but it does make for good viewing, and we're talking about it here, which will up the viewing figures. I get the idea that some of these things are wither made up or exaggerated for the benefit of the cameras.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't see it, but I saw two people from the show on Steve Harvey's show a few days ago. It was a man and a woman and they told their stories and went dumpster diving for food that they brought on the show. The audience was not feeling dumpster food at all!

11. Rosa_Camilla

Rosa_CamillaNew Member

Threads:
    Some people are like that, but I don't think I can go that far to save money. I don't want to compromise my health because as they say, health is wealth. What if she gets sick from doing that? Why, she can spend more on medicine than what she saved.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Aw, I wanted to see it, but I missed it. I did see the hour long special that they based the series on though. It was horrifying. One man would ask people if he could take their food home when he went out to eat at restaurants. I think if he is that cheap he should just cook something at home. His poor wife!

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I just finished watching 2 more episodes of Extreme Cheapskates. I thought by watching this show I may learn some ways to save money. But they all seem to do the same thing. They don't want to flush the toilet, and they all get their food from the dumpster. If they want to eat dumpster food, thats ok. But, for goodness sake don't give it to your guests without telling them before they eat it that it came from the garbage.

14. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    WOW! No way. That is just totally totally sick! I think those people have mental issues for sure.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care i the food has only been in the dumpster a fraction of a second; the inside of that dumpster is filthy and pull of germs and bacteria. Plastic is not impermeable and stuff can bond to it. Not to mention, things that need to be refrigerated need to stay that way in order to stay safe to eat.

I had forgotten about the bathroom thing, but urinating in slop jars and chamber pots isn't exactly new. What I find interesting about the non-flushers is that apparently no one has told them about composting toilets. You would thing the woman who pours her urine on her compost would have one of those.

16. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    Yeah this show goes far with their examples, all the people portrayed on the show are pretty extreme cases.

17. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I consider myself 'frugal.' Or that alternative word, cheap. I sort of like frugal better. But wow. And I am so far from being rich. But some of this sounds to me like beyond saving into a whole new territory. So I am guessing no one is taking notes from this show to learn good money saving ideas?
    Ryder13

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Oh my, I could never do this kind of frugal thing. I have never seem the show but I plan on watching it. I could never do this sort of thing because almost anything makes my stomach sick and I couldn't go through any of those dumpster diving germs. How could they do that just to save money? I bet that they will die and whomever they left there savings to will spend it freely.

19. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    All right I have heard of being frugal, I try to cut cost myself, but this is pretty ridiculous. Yes, I know that toilet paper can be a costly expense, but sorry to tell this woman its a necessary one. I can only hope she is washing her wash cloths with bleach, but knowing this woman she probably thinks that too is too much of an expense. Does she realize how many germs she is risking here with doing this.

20. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we all would like to save a few bucks but that's just extreme i wouldn't go that far to save money their is just some limits you don't want to get to.