Eyeglasses - Online Or In A Store

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by barkingsquirrel • May 6, 2015.

1. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    At my recent eye appointment, I was given a prescription for Eyeglasses for help with seeing far away. I'll need glasses for driving, movie theaters and that sort of thing. Now that we live in an online world, I'm wondering if I should buy my new glasses online. I'm guessing that the prices will be cheaper, since the overhead will be lower?

New eyeglasses can be pretty expensive ... help me to make a good decision. Have you ever bought eyeglasses online? Where did you purchase them? Are you happy? Unhappy? Would you do it again?

2. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought glasses online before, but my boyfriend bought a pair and he loved them so much. Unfortunately one of the lenses popped out after about a year and he was pretty upset. Personally, I would go into a store and purchase the glasses there because then you can be sure that you like them. Glasses are expensive in the first place, so it would be a rather large investment.

3. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    If you will be just wearing your glasses intermittently, I think it would be okay to buy them online. I have not done so myself, but I have to wear glasses most of the time, so they are more like an every day accessory. Since I wear them so much, it matters more how they look and feel.

4. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Though eyeglasses are sometimes insanely expensive, I think it's best that you buy them in a store. I'm a frequent online shopper and I know that shopping online is basically risking what you ordered because you'll never know if it's the same as the one on the picture they showed your or not. Not saying that buying eyeglasses online is bad. Just saying that if you really want to be sure, buy it in a store. Yes it's expensive but they're eyeglasses; you would use them all the time and it would do you good so why not invest on a really good one?

5. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I've bought my last 2 pairs online. I cannot bring myself to pay the high prices of retail eyeglass stores or the optometrist prices. I have been incredibly happy with my online glasses purchases. I suggest zenni optical. Their prices seemed to be the lowest and also the quickest turn around time. I was skeptical but I figured I wasn't spending very much so it was worth a shot and in the end I was very happy.

6. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    Not necessarily, the bigger chains have some really good deals and I doubt you can beat that online as you will not get any kind of after care service or anything like that. I got mine for 25 and when I had a problem with them (they needed to be readjusted as I broke my nose) they were more than happy to help and said when my nose was fixed to come back in and they would take care of it.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would personally suggest you go in store, even if it's just to check the glasses out first and really get a feel for them. Then if you want to shop online, search for reputable online stores with a high street presence just in case something goes wrong.

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I think something ad important as eyeglasses, you should buy on the spot, to make sure the prescription is working and there are no flaws in the glasses. I do not know if there is a big difference in the price, but it seems worth the difference to make sure and get the quality and durability you need.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy mine in stores and, now that I need new ones, I'm thinking about getting them online. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is what I will do. Why? My vision is pretty bad (around -6 I think, -6,25), so the lenses end up costing me a few hundreds bucks (to thin them out and treat them). Now, I think my last pair either costed me something like 350$ or 400$ and it was with the frame included. I live in Germany now, and the only place I saw with "frames included" had only flimsy ugly models. And to get a normal, not specially good looking but decent frame, it was 80 euros and upward. Waaaayyy too expensive. Now, online, if I want some metal frames with prescription lenses treated and thinned out (a LOT thinned out!), it cost something like 108 euros, plus 5 bucks shipping, and I don't have to have the awkwardness of going in a store and try on a bunch of glasses and then leave after creating hopes for the store owner. So, even if they end up not being perfect (which, we will see), it's still cool glasses including everything (the frames look cool, at least) for less than the price of the average metal frame in my region. Worth the try.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As someone who wears glasses, I have always gotten my glasses in a local store. I know that online prices are usually a lot better than in the retail stores. But I don't feel like I'd be able to try out my glasses online, like I would be able to in a store. Before now, it has taken me trying on many different pairs, and looking in the mirrors that stores provide, before being able to choose which pair looked best on my face.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being hit pretty bad with serious eye problems, I definitely need need to pivk everything that has to do with my eyes in store. Online would be too risky, even if I can return the stock if I can't use it. So, yeah, in store, everytime.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like to have some kind of warranty on the frame and lenses. So far I haven't heard that mentioned by those that have purchased glasses online. Also the ability to try on and have the glasses fitted to my face which are not possible by purchasing online.

Now days the turn around to have some eyeglasses ready is between 24 to 48 hours even with a regular eye doctor's office. I don't think you can get that kind of service purchasing online.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that you get your glasses in a store, so you will be sure that what you are getting is what you really need. I tried ordering different kinds of things online. In some cases, what I received is not the same as what I ordered. Eyeglasses are very important, so I wouldn't trust something I cannot hold or inspect to handle my orders for me.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the stores and try them on. Then, I'll see if any I liked are available online. I've made some good savings doing this, but I'd never buy a pair online without having tried on the frames first.

15. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    I usually recommend going to the physical stores, trying them on, and purchasing them there. It's okay to read reviews online. But, for things like glasses, which are heavily dependent on your eyes' characteristics, you usually need to wear them to make sure they fit your needs. In other words, testing is vital, and is much cheaper to do in a physical store. After all, the online specifications may not fit what you are looking for.

16. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried buying glasses online, and would not know the first place to start really. Glad that you suggested this place, and that you were happy with the result. I looked them up online just now, and I like what I see. I'm going to check them out more thoroughly, and plan to make a couple of purchases from them soon.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried buying eyeglasses online, so I wonder how can you check if your grade is still updated. But to avoid buyer's remorse, just buy them in stores. I heard some frames can go as low as $6.

18. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    I like the look of eyeglasses online. I find that the eyeglasses in stores are the same ones other people will have. I don't like to look like other people, so I prefer getting glasses online. It's not as risky as many people would assume it would be, and there are alot of reputable online companies that will sell quality glasses.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eyeglasses are one of the hardest things to purchase online, in my opinion. Even if you can see pictures of them from every angle, in a model's face and everything, it's hard to picture them on your own face. So it's hard to know if they are going to look good on you. Also, as good quality eyeglasses can get pretty pricey, I think it's a risk to buy them online. So it will only get them at store after I try them on.

20. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    Eyeglasses are one of the few things I have to buy in a store because I have to try it on. I've bought some pretty cheap forever21 glasses that were on sale online but I'm never completely satisfied. I always need to know that it will look right on my face, and it's actually always a struggle choosing eyeglasses in person.