Eyelash growth serums and creams - do they work?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Kaila • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    I've read about special serums and creams that make your eyelashes grow longer and thicker. They're not mascara, which temporarily makes them APPEAR longer and thicker, but actually change your natural eyelash. It sounds too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with these products? Do they actually work, or are the before and after photos just photo shopped? I always get fake eyelash extensions, but I'd so much rather have naturally long eyelashes!

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Kaila! I recently posted a thread here on my experience with an eyelash enhancer called Careprost. It has the exact ingredients as Latisse at a fraction of the cost. I've included my own before and after pictures...no photoshop used. I promise!

Here is the link to that thread:

#2Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately Careprost isn't available in my country but I am using Rapid Lash at the moment and, in my opinion, really does work. So to answer your question, yes there are definitely eyelash growth serums that work out there.

4. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    There are some now that are in the form of mascara and they really do work. You can find some listed here:

. I tried the Revlon Grow Luscious mascara and it did not work that great, but the Rimmel Lash Accelerator did work.

I've also tried the Ardell serum and it worked good for it's price....cheap! I'd like to try the careprost.

5. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I would use the Rimmel Lash Accelerator regardless if it made my lashes grow or not. For the price, that is the best mascara...hands down. It lengthen, thinckens and doesn't clump better than expensive mascaras I've used from Lancome.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I'm afraid to use certain growth creams and serums because they say that they will make your lids darker. I don't want dark lids that I have to cover up all of the time.

7. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    steph84, I have seen people post pictures of the darkening of the eyelids, so I do see your concern. I would hope that it's not permanent. I tried Ardell and that did not give any bad reactions. It worked okay on my lashes. I really wanted it to work for my eyebrows and it did work, but not as good as I wanted it to.

8. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    For me, personally, I did not see any darkening on my lid. Although, I think I wouldn't mind since I put liner there any way. ;) I did have some stinging from Careprost at first because I was putting it on too thick and on my bottom lids, which the instructions say not to do. Once I stopped that, the stinging stopped, too.

9. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I was going to mention Sandooch's post, but she posted the information on here. She was very pleased with the product that she used for her lashes.

10. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I never tried the eyelash products however I'm tempted too. Once I heard of the side effects like eye lid darking and such, I figured it wasn't worth the risk for myself. I do know someone that tried Latisse and it worked well for her. She didn't complain of any side effects. After a few months I could see a drastic difference. Her lashes looks beautiful, long and fuller.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks to this thread I got to see sandooch's other thread.. I have been experiencing thinning of my eyelashes lately. Hopefully these products help me as well.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    hi

I never heard of this before this is the first time of me hearing about this i wonder if it really works but i wonder if their is any risk doing this?

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had to consult my niece on this, it's good that she's currently online. She said that she had tried 2 products that claim to grow eyelashes but they are not true. In other words, those creams are just placebo and are not really true to their promise. So I guess we have to wait for some other replies to this thread if they have a positive testimony.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing can make your eyelashes grow, if they could they would be medicinal. These products make the lashes appear thicker and may make them stronger. I have the tinest most fragile lashes and if such a product existed I would have jumped on it. Instead the only way for me to have longer and fuller lashes is extensions.

15. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    I have heard that work but the side effect never sound worth it to me. For example the darkening of the eyelids also if you ever stop using the product your lashes will start to fall out. I would recommend vitamins for hair growth, such as vitamin with biotin.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted longer, thicker lashes and can only ever achieve that look when I wear mascara. I also want mascara that doesn't clump together, so it sounds like this Rimmel Lash Accelerator could be the answer to my prayers. I'm not really prepared to spend a lot of money on these products that promise the world if they're a bit hit and miss. So I'm going to look up the Rimmel Lash Accelerator and give that a try. Thanks for the heads up :)

17. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I would stay away for eyelash growth! I've seen friends who have use them and they are a temporary fix. They do not permanently make your lashes thicker or longer, its only for the time you are using the product. I had one friend whole lashes started to fall out after using a certain product (I will have to ask her the name). I had once thought about using them too, but after seeing the long term results I am staying away.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds horrible! I would be wary of using those products if it meant all my lashes may fall off in the long run. I'd much rather stick with using good old mascara LOL Or alternatively, try something like castor or coconut oil. I've even heard that vaseline works like magic. I'd be mortified if my lashes fell off, making the situation even worse than before :(

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Nope - they don't - in fact as there is no scientific evidence whatsoever to substantiate any of the claims made regarding making eyelashes grow longer or any of those made by the products mentioned here or in fact any to support the various claims that using vaseline, olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E or castor oil will make eyelashes grow longer or thicker either.

I have to say that - if you really do want thicker longer lashes - rather than risk the various side effects of these products - as well as the possibility of not just losing your eyelashes but also of contracting serious eye infections - it would be way better to enhance what you already have - with a good quality mascara or if that isn't enough - have professionally applied eyelash extensions - which rarely cause problems providing they are applied and removed at a reputable salon.

20. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I heard Vaseline works well! I've never actually used it. I tend to use just a really good mascara and am not too concerned with my lashes. I haven't heard much about coconut oil but I use it in my hair and it makes it really soft and shiny so it might work as well.