Fake Car Warranty

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by XLS • Dec 8, 2015.

1. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    Recently I purchased a vehicle from a private owner which was also the original owner. After registering the car, nearly 3 weeks later, I received a letter stating that my vehicles warranty was going to expire. The vehicle is over 10 years old and did not have any warranty upon purchasing. I was dumbfounded because I never contacted the manufacturer and having purchased over 6 different vehicles I had never received this type of letter. To me this is a scam here in the United States.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think I have gotten letters like that too. I think it is just another way for scammers to make money. Also, Toyota keeps contacting me in regard to my Toyota, and I have not had a Toyota for 5 years..and I keep getting letters for life insurance from a credit union I haven't banked with for closer to 10! I should call the life insurance company and say...Hey buy a new list!

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I wonder if someone is watching the vehicle registrations and sending this type of letter to those registering vehicles? They probably do something similar to people registering other things publicly, such as starting businesses and things like that. I might have fallen for a scam like that, so I'm glad you posted about it. I can remember getting letters in the mail about extended vehicle warranties, but I never checked them out, so I don't know if they were legitimate or not. I'll definitely be careful in the future if I do decide to sign up for something like this.

4. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:
    My biggest concern on this is that the car is over 10 years old, thats one. Two, I am not the original owner. Three, how did they get my information. Is its that easy to get hack the DMV? You would think your information is secure. The weirdest thing of all is that I only got one letter and none since.