Fake nails?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jessi • Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have a friend who regularly has her nails done, but has decided that it's simply too expensive. She knows how to paint her own nails, but she likes having fake ones with french tips because her own nails tend to be very brittle and don't grow very long.

She was complaining tonight that every time she's tried doing her own fake nails, they only last a few days before they start popping off.

Are there any brands of nails or glue advice that you can offer to help her do them at home instead of constantly paying for a professional manicure?

2. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I too used to regularly get my nails done because of them being brittle. But once I started taking biotin vitamins, they got stronger. I would suggest her getting an overlay if she wants her nails to last long and worth the price. Overlays are much more inexpensive than getting an additional nail/tip added on. The technician will still use acrylic to strengthen or build up the nail, and it will be more natural looking. All your friend has to do is grow her nails out to the length she desires and then get an overlay. It will probably be around the same price if she were to buy a nail kit in the store anyway.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it could be a good idea for your friend to investigate the cause for her brittle nails. Perhaps she could rather invest in some supplement, such as silica, that will help her nails, teeth and bones to get stronger. She will probably find her stronger nails a lot more attractive and feel less inclined to get fake ones, and a simple nail polish and perhaps some decorative features might do the trick.

4. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    Jessi, I definitely had this problem a lot in the past. It seems that any fake nail I tried, they would always pop off within days and even worse, the same night, on some occasions. The only way to stop the nails from popping off is to put acrylic over them, which is more difficult than it looks, I've tried. The other option would be to put a gel polish coat over it. Also, if she wants to grow her natural nails a coating of gel polish works wonders. My nails did not break at all for the entire month that I started my gel manicures. They eventually got too long and I decided to cut them, but I noticed that as soon as I don't have my gel manicure, my nails break like crazy!

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest.

I think fake nails are extremely tacky. They just do not look good at all to me. I would never ever wear them. I can understand that professional manicures are expensive though. I feel like that way too.

I deal with this by buying my on manicure kit form the local Walmart. That way i can do my own nails , It will not be professional or anything, but it gets the job done.

6. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Wearing fake nails can damage your real nails. If she gives her nails space and air they may likely grow on their own, then she wouldn't have the issue of having them break off and pop. Lots of people don't realize years of covering your nails does damage.

7. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those rare people who have to keep their nails under control. They grow extremely fast and are strong. I'm not a health freak, so it isn't due to supplements or diet. I do, however, believe that my nails are so healthy because I don't use nail polish and I have never had fake nails.

Maybe your friend can try to keep all products away for a couple of months and see if it helps?

8. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    While I don't mind if people do use fake nails, I myself don't particularly like having them. Much like yourself, I just went out and bought a manicure set, and trained myself and a few others to do it. Honestly my husband does it every now and then if I ask him, and we have the time.

9. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    If I was her I would purchase some CND solar oil and apply it as much as possible and grow my nails. I use to bite my nails and they were so weak and brittle. However, I've managed to stop this and now I have lovely nails that always look pretty, without any of that nasty fake stuff being glued to them :)

10. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I know fake nails are bad for your nail health. Has she considered gel manicures? These last 2ish weeks and sometimes longer! I get a gel manicure for either $25 or $30 depending on where I go. I would say even if she did it every 3 weeks, it may save some money and be a bit healthier.

11. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    Even if I could afford to have them done, I wouldn't. I've seen too many gals injure themselves breaking one off, by accident I mean, or nail fungus. Plus the fact that your own nails can be damaged, for a long time, if not forever.

I think gelatin is so good for my nails, also, it is excellent for my joints/arthritis.

I still feel the urge to admire perfect, looking nails that have been professionally done (fakes I mean) but then I remember the cost, and the damage I've seen. They are beautiful, and look so elegant if they are done right, it's a real temptation;)