Farmers Market VS Grocery Store

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dorothymoreno • Apr 12, 2013.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have always really loved buying my fruits and vegetables from the farmers market. Their products are much more fresher and most of the times the prices are the same or cheaper. Really great quality produce at the farmers market, not to mention more variety of produce to pick from and you even get to sample the produce before buying. You can't beat it. Ever go to the produce area of your local supermarket only to find they don't have the item your looking for or that if they do have the item , it isn't fresh. Well you won't have that problem at the Farmers Market. So for me it will be the Farmers Market.

Where do you shop for your produce?

2. sue321

sue321New Member

Threads:
    I am with you on that one. The quality of the food of the food is much higher and tastes better. Its great to support your local farmers and producers.

3. sue321

sue321New Member

Threads:
    Forgot to say - another advantage of buying from farmer's markets is: less food miles.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Farmer's Markets to traditional grocery stores. Luckily one of my favorite stores is a combination Farmer's Market and grocery store. They sell a lot of fresh organic produce. They also sell bulk food items. I love it.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We have a farmer's market every day in our area, so the only time I buy produce from the supermarket is if I run out of an essential ingredient, which hardly ever happens. Here in Spain, fruit and vegetables are ridiculously cheap at the markets, and you can buy as much or as little as you like. Also, most of those who sell are small producers who don't use pesticides, so it's basically organic without the high price tag. Wonderful.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely choose the farmers market for my fresh produce. I like supporting the local growers, and you know it was picked fresh and brought in locally and not picked green and shipped in from another country. The price is usually not too far different; some things will cost more, but some will be cheaper, and often they are negotiable with the prices, which is great,too. Many times, you can get the more unusual varieties of vegetables, like heirloom tomatoes that taste so much better than the plain store bought tomatoes.
    This year, we are planting a small garden, so hopefully , the farmers market will be me !

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Farmers market is the way to go. I always go there every Saturday morning after the daily run to get some fresh vegetables and fruits. It may be sometimes expensive, but it's better for your health, so that is always a plus, at least for someone like me. Also the contact with the usual people is really good because you get to know them and you create a connection and end up getting a better service later on.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I really like browsing in farmer's markets but I never buy anything because the prices are prohibitive. It would be nice if I had enough that I could pick out the freshest of the freshest of local produce all the time instead of relying on what's in the grocery store... but the farmer's market is always so much more expensive.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The problem is that organic/farmer market food is so much more expensive. I have a wonder around my local one every now and again - One onion for £1.74? When do you save an onion for a special occasion?

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am also going to have to say that I preer the farmers market.
    I always find that the quality of the food is just so much fresher and to me I think that this makes it all worth it.
    The prices are also very reasonable and I am never not satisfied with my purchase!

11. Caseymich

CaseymichNew Member

Threads:
    I always feel better about supporting my neighbor. Going to the Farmer's Market is so fun for my family. We always run into family and friends. We usually make a day out of it.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents have a small house in Normandy and farmers markets are very popular over there. Many of the locals still do all of their food shopping at markets. They sell top quality dairy at a very low price when compared to the supermarket.

13. effy

effyNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love trips to the farmer's market! It's great to support entrepreneurs in your community. I agree that it is fresher.

14. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been to a Farmer's Market, but there's one in my little town and I plan to support them this year. I imagine it will be a nice experience dealing directly with real people that have grown real food. I hear the prices can be quite good for the quality of food that is available. Support the little guys and gals!

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I love, love, love shopping at farmer's markets. There are several down here, and I happen to know the farmers personally. It's great to support their farms because they are all really good people who do a lot for the community, and they offer jobs to people who need it when it comes time to plant, pick, etc. The selection at these farmer's markets isn't that big because where I live is a pretty small place, but the fruits and veggies are to die for, and they're really cheap to. I always try to go to them first, but I'm not against picking up a few veggies that I need for the week at the grocery store either, especially if I'm pushed for time.

16. InsomniacGirl

InsomniacGirlNew Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer the farmers markets as I enjoy helping support those who grow and sell their vegetables and fruits. However there aren't many located where I live, unless I want to drive about an hour. Perhaps the drive is worth it, but I wish there were more local farmers markets available where I live. So I tend to shop at natural/organic food stores, since there are quite a few close to me.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the farmers markets in my area a lot, and almost always get a better deal on all the produce I get there. The only main drawbacks are that they are generally jam packed - you can barely move. And with some of them, they have limited hours. You need to get to them very early in the morning to get the best selection and avoid some of the crowds. By 2pm, most of the stuff is gone and the vendors start closing up shop.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping at the farmer's market. There are several of them now, including one that is walking distance to my home. The one nearest me is only one day per week though, and it's hard to just buy one of this or two of that. My favorite market actually does produce share for $25 and every week it's something different. They say it's enough food for two people for one week. I have started checking out the clearance table as well and last week I bought two artichokes for $0.75! The market also has a small urban farm on site and they source a lot of things locally (nearby) from coffee to rice as well as meat and dairy.

19. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    If you can find one to go to, a farmers' market could be a great substitute for the grocery store. There is no farmer's market very close to me, I would have to take the train to get there if I were to get to one. But typically I shop at grocery stores. They're fine, and I do prefer farmer's markets. Not only are they more organic, but better tasting and cheaper. I myself have compared many different fruits, and definitely see a difference between the two.

20. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    Farmer's markets are more fun than shopping at a grocery store because they are outside so it is like a nice outing as well as an errand. One problem with farmer's markets is that they are not open all the time like a grocery store, just at scheduled times. Also, it is not one stop shopping, you can't buy toilet paper at a farmer's market. Also, did you know that in California you can use food stamps at many farmer's markets? However, I will still use a mixture of farmer's market and grocery store shopping to meet all my needs.