Farmer's market

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Mar 22, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have any farmer's markets in your area? I have almost completely stopped buying Fresh Produce from the supermarket. I don't believe it's fresh anyway. There is a health food store here, but it charges phenomenal prices for their fruit and vegetables. Can you believe $9 for a bunch of celery?
    I try to grow a lot of things at home. But so far it hasn't been yielding enough so I go the farmer's market on the weekend. I save a lot of money, as often the farmers have produce left over at the end of the day that they give away for free.
    Is there a similar set-up where you live?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We have several local farmer's markets in my area, as well as several local small farms they set up pop up stands here there and everywhere.

I agree. In peak season, it is hard to buy produce at the grocery store when fresher and cheaper stuff is so easy to find. But my local grocery store also stocks local and farm fresh produce, so if the price is good, I'll do that. They put a sign up and show where it is from.

I am also endeavoring to grow a larger garden this year and to start working with others on trades.