Farmers Markets

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Waynefire • Jun 2, 2012.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I know that many people like shopping at the grocery store because of loyalty. However, what you do not realize is all the food you are buying is not that healthy! This is when you should start to shop at farmers markets! I went today and ended up buying seventy bucks of meat and the farmer threw in 2 dozen of eggs for free! They are a great place to save money and get some great food quality!

2. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    LOOOVe my local farmers markets! Sometimes the food is a bit more expensive, but probably because I buy some things, including eggs, organic. I love shopping for the week and having fresh veggies all week long with our meals. If I had the time and means, I would have my own garden, but this is definitely second best!

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I love the farmer's markets, too. We now have several of them in our area to go to. It seems like there is starting to be more arts and crafts being sold at them. At first I was a bit put off by this, but I am really starting to like some of the items that the artisans sell there, too. I have found one lady that sells her homemade soaps and lotions that are just wonderful.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've always enjoyed the farmer's market that was near my home, but I never bought anything in bulk from there or did my main shopping. Usually, I went to get a specific meal for the weekend. The grocery store chains in my area were always pretty good with the quality of the food they provided and unless the food at the market is known to be grass fed, I don't think there is but so much that you can do to a cow, chicken or pig.

The same things that you think are healthy or unhealthy will be sitting at the farmer's market just like the supermarket. If you don't know how to pick a good steak, they'll give you the first one they pull and let the next customer that knows what they are doing make their selection. You have to take some responsibility in what you are choosing to eat, no matter where you are shopping.

5. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I'm lucky to be in a city with a lot of farmers markets where almost every vendor sells organic food. Some things are more expensive, but I've found that buying produce in season keeps what I spend comparable to the grocery store. Also, when you visit the market regularly you can establish relationships with producers, who sometimes give you price breaks or deals. You can also sometimes make arrangements ahead of time to buy something that's in season in bulk - like strawberries or green beans, when you want to can and/or freeze them, and it's even cheaper buying that way.

6. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    There are two farmers markets I'm aware of where I live but they aren't that big. I would check it out once in a while but I don't end up buying a lot of the vegetables sold because we grow a lot of them ourselves. But I've noticed that these markets are steadily growing which is a very good thing. We're starting to see more vendors selling different things.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I love the farmers market because they have the best fresh produce and the healthiest food that will make your body feel good and live a healthy life. There are those wonderful fruits and vegetables and honey which I love. I feel like I am in heaven in a farmers market which is close to where I live. I've always loved fresh food no matter if you have to pay a little more. I was raised on healthy food like this and I don't like the grocery store produce unless there is a have to purchase. I think they should have these in every community.

8. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I love our local farmers market. I love paying 3X more for the same food that you find in a grocery store. I love giving my money to "companies" that go to food warehouses in bigger cities and pretend to be farmers selling their own food. I love that big large commercial farmers send their workers to our local market and pretend to be local farmers just trying to make a living.

The farmers market is a complete crock for the wealthy to make themselves feel that they are doing the right thing.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have no loyalty to any supermarket whatsoever. Ultimately, it is best to be as close to your food source as possible. When one sees how many of these abattoirs that many mainstream supermarkets buy from....treat and ultimately kill the animals etc - I do not want to be a part of that unconsciousness. I have had enough of the corporate greed.

10. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Farmers Markets have become very popular in our area. Some of them have jazz bands playing music and benches scattered around where you can sit and have a glass of wine and do a bit of people watching. To be honest we have never really bought any farmers produce there such as meat, fruit and so forth. Instead we always come away with different cheeses, breads, and wines. Buying much more than we intended to. For us its an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I had no idea that the farmers market was crooks trying to get by on other people. Why would they say that there food way from there planted seeds if they are not. Do they have anyone checking to make sure that where those people say it comes from is true? They need to check on these farmers to make sure they are telling us the truth.

12. Scarletpyxi

ScarletpyxiMember

Threads:
    Most farmers are really open about the way they conduct their business. You just have to ask them where they are located and see if you can go visit the farm. Most farmer's are also very happy to show off their hard work, and many even have open farm days where they invite the public to drop by for a visit.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    They would say it because it's a booming business. There will always be someone trying to capitalize on something if they can see the money. Having said that, the only things I ever got from the Farmer's Market was dinner for the weekend from the Amish people at our Market. They could've been fake Amish as I saw a few smoking, but I don't think they went that far.

Even with Farmer's Markets, you just have to consider the price and whether it's really worth it as you would with any other store.

14. TabithaW

TabithaWNew Member

Threads:
    The very best thing about buying from a farmers market is that you are stimulating your local economy. You are giving your dollars to a neighbor who is using that money to feed his family, put gas in his truck and pay his bills. When you buy from a grocery store you are giving your money to cooperate America and they have enough cash and influence already.

15. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    That's a nice sentiment, but if you don't buy from the grocery store, you would in turn be affecting your local economy to an even higher degree as those 50-200 people that work there would be out of a job. I'm all for supporting local farmers, but let's take it down from importing various fruit and vegetables from foreign countries, not wiping out local grocery stores, even if they are a part of a major chain.

16. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I always go to the one near me at the college every Wednesday i absolutely love it i get all my fruits and vegetables there and the prices are way cheaper then the stores around.

17. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I try to shop at the local farmer's markets as much as possible. Like you said, the meat and vegetables that they sell at the grocery store is not very good quality. It is often more expensive at the farmer's market, especially the meat, but this is actually good because I have started eating less meat which is actually better for you anyways.

18. sniderman

snidermanNew Member

Threads:
    I'm shopping at farmer's markets more than ever these days. Whether or not the food is organic doesn't matter to me as much as just trying to buy local. The fact that most of the veg there is organic is a nice bonus though!

But still, I comparison shop - there's a chain store near me with MUCH better prices on some items, so I'll always pick those up there.

19. danjo

danjoNew Member

Threads:
    There's a farmers market just down the road from me. You can meet some really cool people there, as well as get some really obscure items that you can't necessarily get at your normal grocery store. There's always a bluegrass band playing there and they welcome people to bring their instruments and play along with them. The kids love it! I also stop by there every time I go on my daily walk and replenish myself with organic juices and veggies.

You'll definitely pay more at a farmers market for your everyday fruits and vegetables you can get at a regular grocery store, but it's almost always organic, and you're helping out local farmers.

I find it a thrill to go to the farmer's market just to see all the obscure things that are being sold. For example; a few weeks ago there was a guy selling hundreds of animal hides. I bought a deer hide to use as a skin head for my banjo and absolutely love it! I also managed to score a bunch of home made wines and honey meed.

I'm growing a lot of fruits and veggies this year, and if the drought doesn't kill them all, I will be trying to make a few bucks at the farmers market myself. :)

20. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Yes, we love our farmers market, half of it is organic and at reasonable price. Now even better is our local organic farmers cooperation. We get bags full of veggies and fruits every week at pickup time... Way to go !!