Faux Leather vs Real Leather

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Faux leather looks a lot like genuine leather but its a lot cheaper to buy a faux leather product than a real one. Animal-lovers say faux leather is better because no animals have to be killed to obtain the leather [an in any case it's friendlier to your wallet] but real leather lovers argue that despite the price being higher genuine leather products last much longer.

Do any of you here buy leather jackets, vests, pants or whatever? Which of the two would you rather buy - genuine or faux leather?

2. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer genuine leather for the feeling, for the texture, for the smell of leather and just the general fact that it doesn't rupture as easily like faux leather and looks natural. I had a faux leather jacket and it ruptured like hell, never buying that again.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Faux all the way. I think it's awful to be the reason for death just so I can look good, when I can get the same thing without causing suffering at all. I have a few faux leathers and I take care of them just as I would anything else and they look just fine. If they did break down in any way, they were cheap enough to replace over and over again and I can feel good about it. I no longer turn my head when it comes to how I impact lives.. that includes animals.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like either of them. I prefer canvas when it comes to bags and shoes. As for jackets, I like wool. I live in a hot climate, so I don't need clothing that has to keep me warm during the winter months.
    Leather has something infinitely sad about it. I don't like to wear the skin of animals on my body, and especially not of animals that were specifically killed for the purpose of turning their skin into fashion accessories.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have worn both and have both. I've heard they don't waste the cow, they use the meat, the leather, and even the bones for different things we buy. So, as long as they're using everything I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with places like Walmart that drug their cows and over breed them. Hence why I buy from a local meat market where I know and trust the farmers.

That being said. I have some leather boots that have lasted me forever. So does my fiance, but he is required to have them for work. I do also have a leather bound journey. We have other pieces, like belts, and small pouches that go with our garb we get from my fiance's brother who does leather working. I do have a faux leather skirt, leggings, and purse though.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer real leather to faux leather. I don't wear leather too often anymore, I have a few leather coats, a pair of leather leggings and almost all of my shoes are leather but for some reason I feel like those don't count. I prefer real leather because I think it is extremely durable but I do feel bad that an animal was killed so I could have something to wear. I think I will continue to buy real leather shoes, but nothing else.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever eve notched real leather before or I might just have never been aware of it. I doubt I'd know the difference though since I'm not really all that anal when it comes to leather materials. Nonetheless, I actually like the smell of faux leather and I think I'd be uncomfortable with real leather anyway since that is essentially animal skin which I'd maybe find creepy. I'd much rather just use the fake variety as much as possible.

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of either one but I guess if I had to choose I would go for faux-leather, even though it's the cheap option the quality is very similar and then there's always the bonus of not harming any animals in the making either.
    I'd have a hard time wearing real leather knowing that it came from animal suffering, just like furs.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I own a faux leather skirt and jacket. It's really hard to tell the difference except at the cash register. Obviously, faux leather is less expensive than the real stuff. The price difference alone is a selling point. Also, I don't have to take the fake stuff to the cleaners.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For shoes and stylish bags, I prefer to get them in faux leather as they are way more affordable and I won't want to use them for all that long so by the time they get ugly I can just donate them or toss them if they look to bad. However, I'm currently looking for a real leather black bag, because I'm tired of getting bags and have them get ugly and flaky. I want to get a high quality bag I can use for a long time!