Favorite Cheese?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Squigly • Oct 30, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many varieties of cheese out there, it's a pity that many people stick with sliced cheddar for their sandwiches and burgers. What varieties of cheese do you enjoy, and in what foods? I particularly like ricotta cheese, and gouda. The smoothness and creaminess of the former, and the sharpness of the latter are really appealing!

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I love mozzarella and cheddar (especially when melted), my favorite kind of cheese is cream cheese. Even if it's relatively expensive compared to other types of cheese, it's pretty much versatile. You can use it as an alternative bread filling/spread as well as add it to your cake or cookie batter. I buy cream cheese whenever I plan to whip up blueberry cream cheese or strawberry shortcake.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm afraid I'm rather boring with my cheese and only like Cheddar (the kind that makes your jaw tingle while you chew on it) and red Leicester. My dad, on the other hand, likes the smelly kind, the smellier the better. He has been asking me to buy him Casu marzu, which is cheese with live worms or maggots in it!

4. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    Definitely would have to say my favorite cheese is mozzarella. I absolutely love Italian dishes and pizza and of course mozzarella is one of the biggest used cheeses when making those dishes, well at least in my house ;). I do like others cheeses, actually most other cheeses, even cottage cheese. lol If I had my choice though I would eat mozzarella over any others. By the way, since seeing this topic I seriously am now craving homemade meatballs with mozzarella cheese stuffed inside. Yummmmm

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I love crumbly aged cheddar. I like all types of cheese though. I will eat it on anything! One of my favorite meals is just cheese, olives, some fruit, and crackers. I like snacky foods if I'm not hungry for a big meal.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Cream cheese, blue cheese, swiss cheese, and many many more types of cheese I believe I need to eat! Why exclude yourselves to one type of food, when there is a multitude of things to enjoy eating in one's short-lived experience and existence humans call life. The people who like to restrict their experiences of different foods, are people who like the safe and known path of a life sheltered from all the unknowns and risks unfamiliar to their senses, memories, and likings - I cannot be one of these people. Who knows, one day I may even try cheese made from comet ice or moon dust; I may die from it, or I may enjoy it like no other cheese before!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only eaten Cheddar, Mozarella, Cream Cheese, and Raclette Cheese. And I like the first three, but Raclette Cheese tastes and smells awful! And it's pricey too!

8. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I used to have sliced cheese for my sandwiches in my childhood. Today I do not have cheese much in my home meals. If I buy cheese, I prefer the cream cheese because I like to serve it with my crispy crackers. It sounds unhealthy because it contains a lot of fats. However, it is the only way that I taste the rich flavours of my cheese.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I really love cheese in general, in fact the list of ones I really dislike (American and feta, in particular) is much shorter than the list of ones I enjoy. I love different ones for different things, but I guess if I had to pick overall my favorites are Ricotta and Asiago. A little random maybe but they're my favorites ;).

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had to rank my top most few:

- Romano. I eat a lot of pasta, so I use this stuff like crazy and prefer it in most cases over Parmesan.

- Smoked Provolone. This is my all around go to cheese, that I use on everything from lunch meat sandwiches, to chicken parmigana, to burgers and more. I even love it on pizza!

- Sharp Cheddar. I know, the old stand by. Sometimes when making a ham sandwich, this is the cheese I crave the most on it. I also love it melted over fried fish sandwiches, and of course Mexican food.

- Parmesan. Though it's second fiddle to Romano in most cases for me, there are some dishes such as Spinach & Artichoke dip where it's nuttiness is a must. Same goes for an Alfredo sauce or a Primavera sauce.

- Gorgonzola. It's often more reasonably priced than some of the more lavish blue cheeses out there, and it's my go to for some kick. I especially like it mixed into a home made balsamic vinaigrette.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Cheese is a favorite food of mine. Cream cheese, sharp cheddar & Swiss are my favorites but are not limited to them. Baby bel cheese is an awesome snack at work along with many other varieties. I have tried some new to me cheese such as the president brand Brie and never again will I eat that. The smell was nasty and the actual taste of it made me gag.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I feel indifferently towards most popular cheeses because they have no taste and mostly only provide texture so I usually don't like them unless they are used in conjunction with my favorite dishes like mozzarella for pizza. However I do like some that have a bit of flavor. My favorite right now is the laughing cow cheese wedges. It is immaculate to use as a spread or even as a dip for chips if you know some recipes. The great thing about this is that even the low fat version is just as good and it's really hardly noticeable especially when mixed in with other ingredients.

13. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a cheddar, cream and mozzarella cheese lover and I don't look into trying any other cheeses out there. Maybe I should though. Ricotta and gouda cheese sounds like a rather interesting type with the description that you give it.

14. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I agree that the Laughing Cow cheese is very delicious. I like both the standard version and the low fat version. Another variant that mixed with ham is good and is not salty at all. They are my all time favourites. The worst kind of cheese that I avoid buying is the slice of sandwich cheese. They are too hard and do not have the real taste and do not smell nice to me.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My very favorite cheese is actually made by a local creamery, it's called Oregon Blue. It is an amazing raw blue cheese. I have only had a few small pieces of it as I can not afford it At All, but it is definitely the most delicious cheese I have ever had.

16. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I am one of those guys that love cheese and everything that goes along with it. The sad part is that I really can't eat milk because somehow I have become lactose intolerant. That means no more Cheddar and no more Parmesan cheese for me in my near future. Though, sometimes I still sneak them and suffer the consequences!

17. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love most cheeses but if I had to choose it would be Pepper/habanero Jack. I love heat combined with the smooth texture. Others worth mentioning are chiipotle cheddar, smoked mozzarella, aged Swiss (especially on a hot pastrami sandwich), brie, and New York Cheddar. Trader Joe's has a cheese that looks like cheddar but has a lot of sweet red peppers. Not only is it smooth but adds something special to grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas.

18. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I love cheese and include it in many dishes that I cook. In general cooking, I tend to use cheddar or Lancashire crumbly, depending on what the meal is. I adore blue cheese, such as stilton, but my partner is not a fan so I don't buy itoften. At Christmas, I always buy different cheeses that we do not usually eat, such as those with fruit in. I also love goats cheese and choose meals that include this when I eat out.