Favorite fall soup?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by jellybean • Sep 27, 2014.

1. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I love eating soup when the weather gets cold and rainy again. Some of my fall favorites are pumpkin soup and french onion. I'd like to find out what kinds of soup others enjoy during the cooler seasons. Maybe I'll be inspired to try some new things.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorites are potato and leek soup with chunks of potatoes and corn chowder with some croutons. Sometimes a tomato and basil soup that is thick can be good with some crusty bread. I'm not a fan of thin watery soups, I like them thick, but not too heavy. I saw a recipe recently and recommended adding gnocchi to the soup as dumplings or I add a handful of pasta to make the soup more of a meal.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like making butternut squash soup. It reminds me of fall. Another one I like to make when the weather cools off is chicken and dumplings. It was my favorite when I was a kid. It's definitely one of my top comfort foods. There's nothing like a big warm bowl of soup on a chilly night.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a brilliant idea to use gnocchi in chicken soup as dumplings, especially if you bought the pre-made ones at the store (which can even be found at dollar stores these days) and paired them with some shredded rotisserie chicken and a few quarts of broth. Perhaps thicken the broth with a little corn starch and milk slurry too, and throw in some frozen peas and carrots for the veggies. It would still taste much fresher than the mushy stuff in a can.

I would say my favorite would probably be chili, since it's so filling and you can alternate between red beef based chilis to white bean and chicken chilis. I prefer Chili over a standard beef stew just because it has a bigger punch of flavor.

Good old Chicken Noodle Soup with wide egg noodles would be my other favorite when I am in the mood for something a little lighter but still filling.

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Broccoli & cheese soup or potato soup are my go to soups during the Fall. My mom makes the best potato soup ever so when she comes to visit, I'm going to get her make up a pot of potato soup. Its so, so delicious! I even top mine off with bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Pumpkin soup! Nothing beats this especially when it is in season. :) I love making my own pumpkin soup, too! Do you have pumpkin soup recipes to share? I would really appreciate it.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I probably have two favorites at this time of the year. The first is pea nad ham soup. I make this using leftover ham and stock from the joint. The second is vegetable broth with dumplings. It reminds me of my Grandma's cooking.

8. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Soup is my favorite... I can eat it any time of the year. I love chicken soup with a lot of noodles and my other favorite is tomato. I know they are both simple but they are classic and you never get tired of eating them. :)

We have a restaurant here in Florida that is called Sweet Tomatoes.... and it is my favorite restaurant ever. It is basically salad, soups, light pastas, breads and light desserts. So, so good!! Try it sometime if you ever see one ! You will be happy you did. :)

Danyel :)

9. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I used to use a recipe, but now I don't. I make one variety that is more rich and sweet with cream, nutmeg and brown sugar, and then another with coconut milk and curry. I use canned organic pumpkin, typically. You can brighten it up by topping with a little sour cream or greek yogurt, my husband likes to add roasted chicken to the one with curry. I also blend my soup up as I carmelize the onions for it to get a lot of flavor, and then once it is blended it has a wonderfully thick and smooth consistency.

10. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Thanks for all the responses! Lots of delicious sounding soups...now only to have enough time to make them all. I like to make large batches and freeze them so that I can have soup available even when I am short on time. I need a long weekend to start cooking!

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it's cold and damp outside, I really enjoy making a hearty fish soup. For that I make my own fish stock, using bones and heads that I simmer for several hours. Then I like to gently fry some vegetables in olive oil with herbs and spices, add the stock, and leave the soup to simmer for another hour. This kind of soup works wonders for me. I makes me feel warm and nourished on every level.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've had some really wonderful pumpkin soups. Butternut squash is always a good one for this time of year, too. There are so many great recipes for fall & winter soups and stews out there =). Cliche as it may be, Pinterest has actually given me a lot of recipe inspiration.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't have fall here, but my favorite soups for all year round are french onion and ramen, as well as Chinese beef brisket or wonton soup. I think most of these are relatively simple to make but they do still sound like they take a bit of effort, which is why I usually just order it from restaurants. Though, recently I've been wanting to try making it on my own because some of the restaurants I frequent have been slipping a bit in consistency so I want to try and make it myself so I could try and keep the quality a bit more consistent if I could.

14. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I'll eat soup just about any time of the year because I love it so much :D
    My favourite type of soup is chicken noodle, it's a nice soup to have when it's cold outside and when you're sick.