Favorite Free Things To Do During Summer?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Rosyrain • Mar 21, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    What are some of the free things that you enjoy doing during the warm summer months? I am trying to generate some ideas here because we are trying to save every penny we can, but still have to get out and about. Sometimes I like to take a book and just go down to the lake and sit and read for the afternoon, or go hiking with the family on the local trails. Any other ideas?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Every summer, there are a lot of free live musical entertainment. Most of these free concerts take place in a large mall or park. I love eating a lunch while listening to a live band. There are also a few places that screen free movies at dusk.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    We go to the State park for a few hours, and the children love to run through the water sprinkle there. The problem is the beach usually full of nasty 95% of nasty dressed people and I really don't like them to see and said "Ewww", LOL.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Summer spells three things for me:
    1. The beach along with the white sands, crystalline sea water and sunny atmosphere.
    2. A mountain resort complete with hot or cold springs - a perfect place to unwind and let go of all the stress.
    3. Travelling and discovering new places within or outside the country so as to widen my horizons.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not an active person, so I don't think I would enjoy travelling especially during the hottest season of the year. I really can't think of anything free to do for fun during summer, with the exception of hanging out with your friends or loved ones. Going to the beach or eating ice cream still costs money, right? Oh well.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Bike rides! We love when the weather gets nice so we can take hours long bike rides again. We bought the kids each a camelback (water holding backpack) so they have plenty of hydration. My husband and I will carry backpacks so that we can pack lunch or snacks, and we just go and go. If we see something we want to check out, like a park or a creek or anything, we stop and let the kids explore. We always have a great time.

7. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Bike rides somewhere shady.
    Creek walks/hikes - sometimes you can find trails that follow a creek and cross it often. That's fun and gives me an excuse to splash.
    Laying in a hammock with my book or on the beach with a book.
    Float trip in an inner tube in a creek/river or even just anchoring the tube and laying in it with a book. There are places to do this where you pay them to drive you to one point, rent their equipment, and float back to their main location. OR you can just get a friend to drop you and an inner tube off a few miles up stream and promise to pick you up when you call them wherever you happen to be when you're done.
    Midnight tennis under a full moon

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like to go biking with my family at parks during the summer. I know technically it isn't free since you have to purchase bikes for each member of the family but you could get them cheap if you look hard enough for good bargains and it provides a lot of use since you could use it for traveling instead of just for leisure when it's necessary. I also like going for a swim with everyone at a pool wherever it is available for free.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Hikes, biking, walking, beach, outdoor board games, sunrise/sunsets, media from the library, local parks, sports.
    Those are sort of standard.
    I always go to the website for my city, other cities in the area, our region and our province (state whatever you have.) They should have a list of local free events. In my area there are free concerts, history walks, summer festivals and good deals on local food options (food trucks!)

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If you live near a place that does something like Shakespeare in the Park, it could be worthwhile to check it out. While I haven’t attended ours in years, I always enjoyed it when I was a youngster and I plan to go to our nearby town’s production this year. There are also some associated workshops this year, including a stage combat one, that look super fun.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite things to do during the summer is not move at all if I can help it. I have never been someone who enjoys heat. I have always preferred the cold over heat, and this summer has been absolute torture. I literally cannot believe how hot it has been. And the more that you fidget and move, the more hot you become. It is like there is no escape.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, there are always bands on in the parks at the weekends, so that gives us something to do. I also like going for walks and enjoying the sunshine whenever I get the chance to, as there are some wonderful walks in my local area. There are lots of people who never really bother to fully appreciate the things that they have around them; thinking that they need to go off and go to places that are miles away in order to have a good time, but that is anything but the truth in the majority of cases.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    The number one thing I can think of is free concerts in malls. Sometimes, even celebrities go for mall tours to promote their movies or albums. This is a great way to see celebrities for free!

Next, you can go to parks. Many parks nowadays are free and you can have a picnic or play in the playground. This is a great way to bond with loved ones!

If your subdivision has a swimming pool, make use of that. Or ask a friend that lives in a subdivision with club house and pool!

14. Ingrid Cazala

Ingrid CazalaNew Member

Threads:
    For me Summer is just another word for beach. At the moment I am trying so so hard to not spend any money and normally if I leave my house it means I'm going to find some way that I have to buy something or spend money in some way which means during the winter I stay indoors as much as possible.

During the summer I just love going to the beach if I can. I make sandwiches or just bring some fruit and I am very content with a nice book and just to relax with waves and such. Honestly I love the beach so so much !!

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really love getting away to the mountains during the summer. There is nothing more invigorating to me but to hike in deep, cool forests and swim in deep lakes. I also love sitting next to sparkling streams and just absorb the beauty and wonderful energy of nature. Another favorite of mine is to go on long sunset walks on windswept beaches. If it's extremely hot, I simply enjoy being in a place where there is plenty of shade and air that keep me cool.

16. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Summer opens of the opportunity for so many adventures. We like going to the beach for swimming or building awesome sandcastles. We, also, like visiting the local nature parks and hiking the many trails. We are huge campers so there is always that and everything that goes along with it. They have Movies in the Park here which is free for families on Tuesday evenings. There is, also, a Splash Pad for the kids where they can go to for some fun and to cool off. We have a number of festivals like Buskers on the Boardwalk and live entertainment on the boardwalk every evening throughout the summer.

Another option is taking in a beautiful sunset, camping on the beach and watching the sunrise the following morning. There are usually fireworks throughout the summer for a number of different events. Picnics are always a great way to spend a summer day.

The list goes on and on. The summer is filled with endless possibilities. It is my favorite time of year.