Favorite Movie of 2014

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by tulosai • Jan 2, 2015.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    What was your favorite movie that was released in 2014?

For me it was probably Mockingjay just because I've waited so long for it and have loved the books. I already can't wait for part II.

What other movies do you recommend from the past year now that we've entered 2015?

2. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    Probably "Frank." Not a lot of people know about it, but it is a hilarious movie depicting the experience of an office worker who suddenly finds him self in a band. the story revolves around the lead singer, who, believe it or not, spends the entire movie with a fake head covering his own. The entire band looks up to this man as some kind of music guru as well, even though he has never accomplished anything of significance in the music world. Fascinating story honestly.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Mockingjay Part 1 is one of my favorite movies of 2014 as well as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Maze Runner and Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed all of those movies immensely and await seeing how the sequels will follow each and every one of them up. And there is no doubt Mockinjay Part 2 will be simply amazing. I cannot wait for that installment.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think my favorite movie would be the last Night at the Museum. It wasn't in the top list of best movies ever but it was one of the few that interested me this year. It had significant action and enough humor to be enjoyable.

5. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Mockingjay part I was a good movie, although it felt like it was only building up to the second part. With that aim in mind, I think it worked really well to attract viewers for the final part.
    There were numerous great films released in 2014, and I don't think I could pick a favorite. However, off the top of my head I loved Interstellar and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Interstellar was one of the best cinematic experiences, made up of real philosophical depth in the plot and amazing graphics. Captain America 2 was a really good film if you are a Marvel fan, as massive plot advancements were made in this film.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I disagree, Hunger game movies are super overrated and this Mockingjay is not even close to being a quality movie.

My favorite movie for the year 2014 is between The Hobbit and Interstellar. Why? Well, both movies imply a similar plot in which the main antagonist must face against world changing odds which all existing people await their decision(s) to save it or allow it to go unto ruin. Plus, both movies showed a beginning and ending to a long an arduous journey that started from a simple homestead, unto the battle of many dimensions, and back home once more, because it is the journey that matters most not the beginning and ending.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    There are still some movies in 2014 that i haven't seen like Interstellar. I've heard pretty good reviews about that movie and i'm dying to see it. Too bad i missed it when it was shown in theatres. Anyways, as for the movies I've seen this year, I'd say my favorite is Maze Runner. It's pretty good with surprising twists and action. Really great movie. Can't wait to watch it again. :p

8. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    This one wins by default, The Amazing Spider-Man 2. It was the only movie I watched in the theaters last year. Luckily, I still really liked it! I didn't watch the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, so I was unsure how I would like Andrew Garfield as Spidey. I loved the old cartoon shows on Fox when I was younger, and I thought Toby Maguire did an excellent job portraying the classic Peter Parker. But anyways, Garield did a good job.

9. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Guardians of the Galaxy completely took me by surprise. I hadn't heard much about it prior to watching it, aside from hearing that it was good. And I was very pleasantly surprised. For that reason alone, it has to be up their with my favorite movies of the year.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some reason, in terms of content and emotional impact, the Indie films have more edge. Boyhood and The Grand Budapest Hotel may have been low-budget films with limited fanfare, but they're able to send a powerful message to their audience. There's this Bollywood movie I watched and it really made me feel so wonderfully human. I recommend PK to everyone who's looking for a life-changing movie. Amir Khan of The Three Idiots fame starred in this film.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't want to go cheesy and mushy like a pop love song, but The Fault In Our Stars definitely is the most romantic movie ever made in 2014. I couldn't remember how many times I have shed tears over this film. Who would forget Augustus Waters and Hazel Lancaster's love story?

12. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I liked "The Equalizer". I like Denzel Washington. He elevates any movie he stars in just by his presence. I also liked "Before I go to Sleep". I also liked Divergent. I did not like any of the big ticket movies probably because the expectations were high or they either cater to the lowest common denominator or are too pretentious, which is not a bad thing, if you want your movie to be a super grosser.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, Mockingjay,The Maze Runner, The Other Woman and Blended. None of them are particularly artsy, smart of good quality when it comes to award winning movies and performances but they were all a blast to watch!

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't watched a lot of movies from 2014 but I have to it's got to be Mockingjat Part 1. Even though I hated how they split the movies into a bunch of sequels which in fact is not necessary at all, at least they're all good enough to watch and enjoy.

15. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I like Guardian of the Galaxy and the last Hobbit movie. They have great special effects. I also like the settings of the two movies one in the outerspace and new planets while the other one in the middle earth. I am a fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings book that is why I also like its movie adoptation. I like Guardian of the Galaxy on the other hand because I love Marvel Universe.

16. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Interstellar was one of the "deep" movies of the year, with many comparing it to Inception. I feel that the plot and execution of the movie was done really well, setting it apart from the many other blockbusters like the Hobbit and all the Marvel movies.