Favorite Oils?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Jasmine2015 • Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    What are your favorite oils and how do you like to use them? I like to use coconut oil for my hair and skin. I also like using castor oil for my hair. I know some people like to use expensive oil like jojoba oil but I can't afford something like that on a daily basis. I have also used peppermint oil when I shampoo my hair. I used to have a bottle of bath oil as a gift and I would soak in that.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My favourite oil is tea tree oil. I love it for it's multiple uses. I use it on cuts as an anticeptic. It's also great on athlete's foot because it has anti-fungal properties. I hear it works well at treating head lice. It can also be used to heal skin infections. It's a great antiseptic. If I get a hang nail and it feels a bit sore like it's getting infected I drop some tea tree oil on it and it feels better the next day. It's also great for taking out the itch of insect bites. It also works at soothing sun burns. It works on acne as well. It's my go to in my medicine cabinet for most ailments.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any specialty oils in a while, since my budget's tight right now. I was trying to soak and push back my cuticles the other night and I couldn't find any of my products for doing so. I actually have at least two here, but I have no idea where they've gotten off to. The cats seem to have absconded with them, and probably pushed them into some hidden corner.

I remembered when my favorite hair stylist would do my manicures, she would soak my nails and cuticles in warm olive oil first. My hands are also a mess from the winter weather and heat on in the house, and I needed to address that issue. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make one product that would address both issues. I heated some olive oil and soaked my cuticles for a while. When I was finished doing that, I added granulated sugar to the remaining olive oil, and slathered it on my hands and forearms. I still have a little of it left, and am going to use it again later. My hands and forearms definitely feel softer, and I was able to get the cuticles pushed back enough to do a decent manicure.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I recently used a mixture of olive oil and coconut oil in my hair because it was really dry and it worked amazing. I rinsed off my hair with hot water, applied the mixture, and then left it in my hair for 2 hours. I then rinsed it out and applied conditioner and the results were very good. It was inexpensive too.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I really like this idea with olive oil and sugar. I've been wondering what I could do with a bottle of olive oil and now I know. During the winter I have dry skin issues and lotions just don't cut it and I have tried Eucerin, Nivea, and Lubriderm these are not cheap.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever use Canola oil for cooking, and Argan oil for my hair. I don't use oils for my body or my face, I just use face and body moisturizers... I know they say face oils don't make your face oilier, but I'm terrified of putting oil on my face!!!

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As olive oil has been used for centuries where I come from - not just in food or as a beauty product - but around the house and for many other things too and it wasn't so long ago that I listed some of the many uses and benefits of olive oil on another thread - rather than repeat the same information that has already been given - hopefully this will help

Oh and would just add - that another oil worth considering if looking for inexpensive but very effective all round beauty care is Extra Virgin Argan Oil - as not only does it have the same beneficial properties as olive oil - both internally and externally - but as it has just as many uses and can used in all the same ways as olive oil - its just as economical too.

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks for the link @gata montes@gata montes.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No kidding @MrsJones@MrsJones, apparently I missed @gata montes@gata montes' thread, as well. I'm always interested in learning about other uses for household products, and especially ones I like as much as olive oil. I can't imagine how I missed out on reading that thread. My hands definitely still feel better since I did my olive oil and sugar treatment. The same can be done with salt, especially sea salt or Himalayan salt, if you have that. Some day I'll invest in some really good quality pink Himalayan salt and pamper myself, but for now the sugar/oil / sea salt and oil scrubs will suffice.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a variety of oils that I use. I use Coconut oil for cooking and moisturizing. I do not really care for olive oil but that is just a personal preference. I use tea tree oil as well and like @purplepen88@purplepen88 said it works great to prevent you from getting lice. I use this in my children's shampoo or just a bit in their hair. Apparently, lice do not like the smell of it. I have also used tea tree oil on my toenails to prevent getting fungus. It has great anti-bacterial properties and works for a variety of ailments. I did not know however that you could use it for the itch of bug bites. Will definitely have to try that out. Thanks for the tip.

11. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Exactly!!! I use a lot of oils, but tea tree oil is my go to. My nephew was diagnosed with scabies at 1 1/2 years old and the doctor told my sister that there was only one type of medicine to treat it with, and that medicine is only prescribed, and a prescription means costly. I told my sister that I'll buy her some tea tree oil, she was a little reluctant, but she was willing to give it a try. I spent $8 on a small bottle of tea tree oil, told my sister to only use a couple of drops in his bath water since he was so young. She told me that was the first night he was able to sleep all night without waking up scratching and crying and then two days later his skin was healing up. I also told her to wash all of their sheets and clothes with a few drops of tea tree oil too, to kill any mites that could be in his sheets or clothing. My sister now keeps a bottle of tea tree oil in her medicine cabinet too!

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite cooking oil is Grapeseed Extract Oil. It has a high smoke point which makes it great for stir frying and sauteing. It has a light taste and doesn't overpower the food. I also use it on my hair. My mom likes to put it on her skin.

I also like coconut oil. I don't cook with it though. I mix it with shea butter and cocoa butter to make body butter/whip. I whip shea butter with a bit of coconut oil until its creamy. I also use coconut oil on my hair as a deep moisturizer.

13. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    I like tea tree oil. Because this oil is natural to use. It has many benefits like it prevent you from skin infection(ringworm's,boils,jock itching,etc).

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use coconut and castor oil for my hair, and sometimes for my skin. I recently bought a very posh and expensive jar of organic coconut oil, but for some reason, I've been lazy to use it! I also like many of the ones offered by BodyShop, including the Satsuma, Grapefruit and Mango oils, purely for their gorgeous lingering scent. I either put a few drops in my bath water or lather them all over my body straight after i've showered for a light, fresh scent. I love them :)

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using tea tree oil and emu oil on my shoulder and knees to help relief the stiffness and pain. For my skin I use a mixture of vitamin E, baby lotion and vaseline that I make for my very dry skin.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like tea tree oil too as a relaxing ointment for the feet. It can refresh feet and renew the fresh smells inshoes.. It is just one of the ways you can get the option that you are looking for with foot freshess. I like a lot of different oils, but I don't use them on a regular basis. Vitamin E Oil is good for skin renewal.

17. jackiewbu

jackiewbuNew Member

Threads:
    Keratin and Moroccan oils are my go-to for my hair. They make it shinier and just appear to be healthier. For anything else I use coconut oil. I use it for my skin, to moisturize or to shave with. I use it for my teeth, it's called oil pulling and whitens your teeth! I also use coconut oil to condition my hair when it's looking really dry and dead.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several oils I like. Most were mentioned and I like tea tree oil too for the same reasons. I use peppermint oil for my back ache that helps alleviate the pain a lot. I use coconut oil and pure olive oil for medicinal reasons. Eucalyptus oil for rubbing on my chest when I've a bad cough cold. I love these oils for they help. By the way inadvertently I found out peppermint oil is good to rub where you have prickly heat too for it heals it & cools the area so the skin gets very soothed.