Favorite way to eat potatoes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Potatoes are a great staple to a meal and I love jacket baked potatoes as the skins (well scrubbed) as nutritious and also really good when crispy.
    If I don't have time to do them, I like some good chunky mash with butter, mayonnaise and some soy milk. I don't like to too smooth, a few chunks makes it tastier as the seasoning can cling to them especially if I add come chilli flakes.

I don't always have time, but roast potatoes are a favorite or potato dauphinoise, which I can eat by itself with garlic, cream and herbs.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I like them fried *drool* I started loving fried potatoes back in my university days when money was little so I had to eat cheaply. Clean them up, add oil & fry then salt and eat - what's not to love? It's also the only food (besides pizza) that makes me hungry based on smell only. Do I smell friend potatoes? Time to eat some! :eek:

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I like potato salad! It is really great with barbecue or fried food. :) I like a lot of onions and bacon on potato salads. :)

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Chipped is my favourite way, although clearly not he way I should be having them all of the time :D Roasted is pretty good too actually. Jacket is probably the only one I don't have. Jacket skins are just horrible, skins are fine on roasted potatoes, juts not jacket potatoes. I love a very buttery mash too though, with a dash of herbs.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like mashed potatoes, skins left on for nutrition, with sour cream, garlic and dill. It's pretty easy to make if I have the sour cream on hand. I just add the minced garlic and a few pinches of dill while I am mashing and there they are, delicious. If I don't have sour cream I put a little butter in when I mash them, but it's not quite as tasty to me that way. I also love baked potatoes, but as that requires so much electricity, I have not made them in years.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, potato salad is a great way to use up potatoes for a snack with lashings of mayonnaise or salad cream. I like to add some petit pois to them as well and some corn and it can be a meal by itself. Also potato skins are good for barbecues and easy to make.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I want it soft so mash is a lot better espscially with butter. potatoes can also be great with soup particularly beefstew. My father use to cook beefstew with potatoes and corn kernels. i like how it taste as the corn is very aromatic.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite way is fried. My father always made them that way and it's been my favorite since then. Thinly sliced with onions and some butter.. absolutely perfectly.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like baking them hasselback style. You cut a bunch of slits in it so it looks like a fan. Add some olive oil and garlic, salt, pepper and bake it. All the individual pieces get crispy and the insides are soft. It's so good! I also like mashed potatoes. And sweet potatoes, too.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Baked potatoes are what I like most from the plant, with melted swiss-cheese and bacon bits, and finished with sour cream on top. My second way I like to eat potatoes is hash browns and Tabasco sauce sprinkled on it - after a night of drinking alcoholic beverages and hanging out with good company - along with a T-bone steak, eggs and sausages. My third way is the infamous mashed potatoes, but I prefer to keep the skin with it to add texture.

11. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I personally like to use my potatoes when cooking with meats. I will dump them into a skillet and fry them with a little oil until they are nice and crisp on the outside and soft-ish on the inside. I like to pair them with eggs in the morning as well, it is also quite a delicious combo. Potato chips are also on my list. I do not like to eat baked potatoes, it is always difficult for me to swallow and end up drinking a ton of water trying to keep the potato down. I never had a decently prepared baked potato, so that may be the only reason why I dislike it when it is prepared this way.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I liked potatoes fried [until] crisp. The taste is good and to be honest, I just like crispy food.

Technically crisps can be classified as junk food, eating too much of them could have negative health effects. Good thing though is that I don't regularly eat crisps so I'm relatively safe.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have potatoes very often due to my husband's dietary restrictions, but I do enjoy them a lot. I love scalloped potatoes, and warm potato salad :). But there are a ton of good options for baked potatoes, as well.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big potato fan, as I live in the tropics and find them too heavy in the hot weather. I mostly eat sweet potatoes, but occasionally, during the cooler months, I like to prepare baked potatoes, which I usually eat with sea salt and organic mustard. Also, I like to make potato puree with herbs and sesame butter, which is always a nice accompaniment for vegetables or a simple salad.

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love mashed potatoes. When I am just cooking for myself I will sometimes just make a pot of mashed potatoes for dinner. I like to add some butter milk and sour cream to them along with some garlic, salt and pepper. I make sure they get really creamy! I also really like steak fries, but don't make them as often.

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Having them boiled and soaking them in a mayonnaise or dipping them in a very good cheese dip. Either of the two is very sinful. If I am on a diet, I go eat them naked, or make my own good-tasting low-fat dip using the silken tofu. But if I don't have that plenty of time, I really eat them just they are after boiling them. They really taste good in every way that they are cooked. But I don't eat French fries and rarely snack on potato chips and those that have gone through a rigid process only to end up very oily.