Fewer Clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Sep 16, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why buy lots of clothes which you'll wear only once or twice in a month? Everyone has favorite pants, skirts, shirts - whatever - which they'll regularly wear. Wouldn't it be better, and good for your wallet if you bought only a few clothes that are just like your "favorites" and use them till they are worn out?

Would you do it?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't, just because I've already tried living like that in the past and it's just too limiting. I eventually found myself not wanting to go to certain places or occasions just because I had nothing to wear that my friends and family haven't seen ten times before and although I know it shouldn't matter I still couldn't help but feel embarrassed, so now I try and just buy cheap clothes but have lots of them so I at least can still have variety even without spending too much.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been living like that for about 6 months and I have had enough. I am ready to go shopping and would like to take all the pieces I have been wearing for the last 6 months and throw them away. I do not purchase cheap clothes because I want them to last for a while. The clothes I have been wearing for 6 months are cheap and have no more life to them. It is very limiting when I want to go out to only have a few pieces to be comfortable in how I look.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately I don't have any clothes like that - as apart from the fact that my main priorities when buying clothes has always been quality over quantity - along with whether something is versatile enough to mix and match with the majority of the clothes that I already have - as not only does it save a great deal of money with the added bonus that I never have to worry when reaching into my closet for something to wear either - but with a closet full of clothes that can all be mixed and matched as well as dressed up or down to suit every occasion - there is nothing in my closet that doesn't get worn regularly - especially as virtually everything I own easily falls into the favorite bracket

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to just avoid stores I know I will spend a ton of money at because that I such easier than trying to limit the amount of clothes I have. I must admit that I am a woman who loves to shop. I do try to find high quality clothes that will last me a long time though.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    This makes so much sense, but sometimes I just like getting new clothes. I do find that sometimes I buy clothes that I really don't wear enough and end up giving them away. Now I'll buy new clothes, take them home and think about it over night. I'll try the clothes on again the next day I'll keep it and if I don't love it I'll take it back. I've taken back a few items and saved myself some money by making sure I love the top or bottom and that I can get a lot of wear out of it.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I have a ton of clothes which I never wear not unless I really have to. Most of them are hand me downs so it's reasonable to not wear them since they're pretty much twice my size, not unless I'm just sitting at home all day by myself. But I agree, I only buy clothes that I'm 100% sure I can wear within the week of me buying but you have to admit, seeing that '70% Off' sign is very tempting.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:We moved just one year in June of this year just to an apartment that's across the parking lot. Same address just different apt. number is where we moved to. My family that helped me move made one comment-you've too much things! We gave a lot away to donations like Cerebral Palsy & Big Brother's & Big Sisters. My closet got very thinned out. Believe me when I say that less is more and you'll find out when you move that less is better than more. Save money & buy less clothes you'll be happier!

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I do find that having a smaller wardrobe overall has made my life easier in many ways, so I know I don’t need much to make me happy. They just all need to be my favorite pieces, and they need to work well together. It does take some work and thought for this method to be effective. So I think it’s perfectly valid to need some variety in one’s wardrobe.

10. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty much exactly what I do. I work from home, so my clothes aren't subjected to a ton of wear and tear beyond the kind that comes from cleaning my apartment or going out to get groceries. Most of 'em are in fairly good condition still, except when I spill food on 'em or something. That's what the washer's for, I guess.

I also don't like the current culture of discarding stuff that's not terribly old. We shouldn't be wearing through stuff as quickly as we are. It's not sustainable in the long run, especially with the Earth's population on the rise and resources slowly running out. But that's another conversation.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me but I love clothes so I buy clothes every once in a while. But in fairness to me, my clothes are mostly bought on sale and I rarely buy expensive clothes that are not on sale. Especially when I go abroad, I check the quality and the brand then computer the price in our currency before buying. That is one good way of getting a good bargain - wait for the item to be on sale because sooner or later it will go that way.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been times in my life when I've had no choice but to stick to the same few items and even though things are easier now, I still don't like to overbuy and purchase the majority of my clothes from the charity shop/thrift store. Also, I don't have a great deal of space at home.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes more as a therapy than anything else. If I am frustrated, a little bit down, or something like that I'll will usually use shopping as therapy. Which is horrible because I always spend more than I should!
    but also, if you're working person, especially in the corporate world like me, it's not well seen to use the same clothes every day. You need to have a variety of clothing otherwise people start noticing and gossiping. It's horrible, I know, but you have to learn to live with it.

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Space constraints are my number one reason that I find having a smaller wardrobe easier. I still remember the days when I had a teeny tiny stand-alone closet and it was stuffed to capacity. And I do not remember those days fondly. I work with the same amount of space but far fewer clothes now, and it’s perfect for my needs.

Truth be told, I would probably have far fewer clothes than I do now if I didn’t need to be seen out in public most days of the week. Haha. So I know what you mean there, too.