Fiction or non fiction books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by doney96 • Sep 24, 2013.

1. doney96

doney96Banned

Threads:
    I fell in love with books at a young age and my favourite genres became horror and sci fi fiction books, these genre's have been my favourite for years and it's only recently that l started reading non fiction books and l have to say l really enjoyed them so now l read both, what's your favourite type of book?

2. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    Aren't we allowed to say both? I mean I don't think I could do without one or the other. Fiction fills the need for stories that all people have, but when you want to learn about something you buy a book about it. These are very different needs, and just because they come in book form does not mean they can be compared like that. In my thinking fiction is closer to TV shows and non fiction to TV documentaries than to each other. And these would probably be better comparisons than fiction vs non fiction in books.

3. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say both also :). For me it depends on the author. I must admit I am a big fan of sci fi fiction books myself though and also horror stories. I tend to love all kinds of authors. I like reading book reviews these days to see if a book will interest me.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am a professional proofreader, so I get to see a huge number of books now that I would never had gained access to during my childhood and young adult years. Of course, I love fiction. There's nothing better than getting your teeth into a good story, and really getting to know the characters who are involved in the story. However, in my opinion, some non fiction books are wonderful as well. I am lucky to be educated, and there are so many people who aren't. But, they don't realise that education is in their local library - for free! You don't need a badge or a certificate to prove you've read up on things, and the world of non fiction gives you a great deal of scope to learn things that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

5. SierraW23

SierraW23New Member

Threads:
    My favorite genre of books is fiction- hands down. Though I also love non-fiction books as well. I really love fiction because the imagination is free to do whatever it wants. I am a writer myself, and to me you can write about almost anything and make it good, but when you create something from a mere thought- you basically create something unique. You can create things that are unheard of and that's what writing is about. Writing fiction is my deepest passion. It looks easy, but it is actually tougher than writing non-fiction and quite competitive to succeed in. Speaking of which, I went to a Creative Writing workshop today and I absolutely loved it. :D I will be signing up for a class or two soon!

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like self help, educational, and new age books nowadays, but when I was younger, I was into fiction books like Sweet Valley and Goosebumps. I also liked reading Archie.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sweet Valley. It's a shame they screwed those books up. . .

I used to read a lot of fiction until I'd read all the good books. Every other book I'd buy couldn't match the quality of the books I'd read previously so I quit reading fiction.

These days I read only non-fiction [self-help books, business idea books, etc.] Good thing is with these books I am able to kill a number of birds with one stone. For example if I read an SEO book and use it to improve my search rankings, I get more traffic to my web-site. . .see where this is heading?

8. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer fiction, but I've read a number of non-fiction books too! I like sci-fi too. I don't know what my favorite genre is, I just like a good book! If someone recommends a book to me, I'll read it! I love to read! I wish I had more time to read though. I haven't picked up a book in weeks. That is sad.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love mystery ( i.e. Nancy Drew) and I read a lot of young adult fiction - really I've read all kinds of fiction. By the time I was in Junior High I started working my way around the library alphabetically. Whenever I would find an author I liked I would read everything else there was from them that I could get my hands on. At some point I switched from mostly fiction to mostly non-fiction. A lot of the books I buy now are how-to and reference titles.

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    While i can enjoy both, i think i am more a person of fiction. What i really can't take is education and self-help books. They are a dime a dozen and all they serve is to rip you off.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite genres are science fiction and mystery. I don't get to read much fiction nowadays because I'm more focused on business and marketing books. It's been awhile since I read a book for the pure enjoyment of reading. Time to take a trip to the library.

12. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I love historically based fiction books! So there is a little bit non-fiction, like some true historical characters, a well-known event as a plot device, and so on. Then there is the main character and a few supporting characters that are fiction, but blend into the history flawlessly. My favorite version of this is in The Walking Drum, by Louis L'Amour. I've heard his other books are similar, but more Western based. The Walking Drum is based in medieval Europe, and the story is incredible! I definitely recommend it, and others like it!

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer fiction because I like devouring into someone else's story. I read a lot of Young Adult Contemporary novels, which all of them are fiction. These novels are similar to real life stories, which give me opportunities to learn from the characters.