Fifty Shades of Grey

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by katharinemae • Jul 11, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading "Fifty Shades of grey" by E L James. I expected some serious heavy drama and take on the topic of bondage, sex, discipline, masochism and sadism but I was wrong, its actually enjoyable and entertaining. It has some explicitly erotic scenes but its an easy read and a page turner. Will definitely read the next two books of this trilogy. Has anyone read this book?

2. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    Wow, everyone I know is reading this! It makes me want to go out and buy myself a copy to see what all the hype is about. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it, though. I think I might wait until it goes on sale, or until I can find used copies of it at places like Half Price Books and Amazon.

3. katharinemae

Threads:
    I know right, you'll get hooked for sure. Btw, if you know someone who have it on their ebook or ibook i think they can mail it to you in pdf form. Haven't really tried it but some of my friends did and they have read it using their pc or ipad for free.

4. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I'm too scared to read the trilogy because I've read mixed reviews about it. A friend of mine said that it's bad. So, I don't know anymore.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I read all three of them. They were OK but certainly not in my top 10 books I've ready this year. The writing was mediocre and the story line seemed to get a bit repetitive. I did like that it was something different.

6. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I started to read a sample of it on my phone and it stopped right when it was getting good. I'm gonna buy it next paycheck cause i keep hearing everyone talking about it and how good it is and so far what i read i have to agree.

7. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm waiting for my friend to pass it on to me. She's not normally a reader, but she read the hype about it, so she bought a copy. She's absolutely mesmerised by it, and she's going to get the rest of the trilogy. She says the writing isn't brilliant, but it's a compelling and entertaining book. I'm looking forward to reading it - although as a writer I'll probably pick up on the instances of poor writing. I hope it doesn't distract me from the plot!

8. katharinemae

Threads:
    I guess it really depends on the reader and what styles of writing, story line and flow best entertains them. What kind of genre do you read? I read any kind of book from sci-fi, romance, thriller you name it and i'd be reading it as long as it is interesting and entertaining. I don't blame you, iv'e read books before that i thought were good because of the hype but were actually a drag.

9. katharinemae

Threads:
    Good thing I was not an expert writer, didn't even noticed the brilliancy of the writing or lack thereof. I can say that it's not really over the top but it got me turning one page after another. I love to write, i can express myself more in writing but i'm not a "writer" who really knows about the rules of writing-- if there's any. I just write what i feel and think. I'm just curious or the writer in me is curious, how do you rate a written material? I know it's not all about sentence construction, spelling and grammar. I'm really interested and wants to learn. Sorry if i'm a little off tracked from the topic. I guess i have to post this in a new thread. Lol!

10. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I'm currently reading the book now. I just started the book a few days ago. It was really difficult getting through the first couple of pages - mostly because I found the female lead really annoying. It's gotten more interesting now, but the writing and language is terrible. I heard the book started from a "Twilight" fan fiction site, so I shouldn't expect any literature greatness. I do have a copy of Anne Rice (under a different name) writing erotica in the "Sleeping Beauty" series. I think I will read "Sleeping Beauty" after "50 Shades of Grey" and compare the two. Anne Rice is an incredible author so I expect to be impressed.

I have to admit, the only thing keeping me going in "50 Shades of Grey" is the prospect that Alexander Skarsgard is rumored to play Christian Grey. I picture Alex as Christian all the time!

11. katharinemae

Threads:
    I don't think "50 shades of grey" will ever measure to any of the works of anne rice. I've read the first book and yes it was entertaining but it didn't quite reach my expectations. I guess i have conditioned my mind too much that it will be a good read that i actually believed it was good. Looking back, i can say that it was ok but it lacked the "wow factor" and the writing was indeed mediocre. Now i'm having second thoughts if i'll continue reading the 2nd and 3rd book.

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    For all the reviews of this book, there isn't a single one that makes me really want to read it. Most of the people I've heard critique it said at worst "don't bother" and at best "the writing is really bad, but you'll get so hooked that you won't notice it."

13. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I only heard of this book a few months ago? Coincidentally, when it got most popular. Perhaps it was released for spring/summer to take advantage of the "I want to read a trashy summer novel" crowd. I'm still reading it. It's mediocre and mildly entertaining. I admit, if Anastasia says "oh my" any more I might have to scream. It's annoying! Doesn't she have other phrases to use?

14. katlynelyse

katlynelyseNew Member

Threads:
    I finished the series a while back, and it may not be the best written series on the planet but I did enjoy the story line. For it to be Twilight fan-fiction I was surprised since I didn't really care for the Twilight series (although I did read them all). The second book, "Fifty Shades Darker" was my favorite. It hasn't been that long since I finished them but I'm already considering re-reading them.

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I finally got the books, and I read all three in just 3 days - I couldn't put it down. Yes, the writing wasn't the best, but the storyline is compulsive, and the characters grow on you. Remember the first book of the trilogy was E. L. James' first novel - she gets more assured as she progresses to books 2 and 3. I was sorry to finish reading, and I'll probably revisit them at some stage, which is always a good indicator.

16. slamoutte

slamoutteNew Member

Threads:
    I have not read this book because of the sexual nature. The buzz of my facebook page has been tempting me to check it out and see what all of the talk has been about. There is a bit of mixed feelings I am getting from it. Some people seem to be saying that they were disappointed with it and others are raving about it and saying how men need to read it so they know what women want.

I think that the people who are disappointed by it are so because of the high expectations that they had before reading it.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I read Cracked and so the first time I heard about this book it was listed as a Twilight fanfic... I have read exactly two good fanfic for Twilight, so yeah. From what I've had forced in my face by well-meaning friends and the general reviews I hate it. I mean if I want erotica then there is O and anything by Zane. Other than erotica there is nothing really in the book and it just sort of falls apart.

18. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't read it, but I my this book is the talk of the town! I am a little disappointed to hear that it isn't as racy as everyone makes it out to be.

19. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I just bought this book from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Yet to make a start, as I am still to finish reading another book that is overdue at the library. Eroticism is okay for me, as long as the book is interesting and makes for an easy read. For those in the UK, I found copies being sold for £3.85 at Asda, if you are looking for a cheap buy!

20. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    In my country this book is first in the list of bestsellers. I do not know if it is a result of my interest libroque. I think the story is interesting, and are encouraged to touch issues that are not spoken in other literature. I think the subject of erotic novel, everything is written. Anyway, if someone gives me I will give an interesting read. It seems that everyone is reading. The film is in preparation. We will see what it offers. :p