Fighting in a store.

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lady350 • Nov 1, 2014.

1. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I was at Walmart yesterday and a fight broke out by the checkout lanes. It was not even clear what the fight was about. The store rep told me that they are not allowed to stop a fight or touch a customer. They have to let them fight. They only call the police if the fight gets bad. Speechless! !!!!

2. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I can understand them not wanting to get involved for safety reasons, but damn. That's just crazy. I was standing in line at the grocery store when fight broke out. People are cutting in line or something. People are so on edge these days. They're so self-absorbed and lack any compassion or generosity. (Rant)

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Surely security get involved? I can understand staff not wanting to get hurt as their insurance may not cover it, but what if another member of the public gets hurt? They have a duty to ensure no one else gets hurt.

People should have more manners outside at least. Common courtesy seems to be have been abandoned and civil behavior doesn't seem to be important. I'm not saying it's the store and the type of customers in Walmart, but would people behave like that in say Bloomingdales or Best Buy? Maybe they would, but I don't expect to see people fighting or arguing in public at all.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I am surprised a store as large as Walmart does not employ at least 2-3 security guards. That seems like basic common practice to prevent/catch shop lifters and any other illegal activity that might be attempted in such a place. Security guards should be trained to deal with something like a fight, just their uniform would probably alert the individuals involved that they have to knock it off or face consequences. I understand it would be unsafe for a store employee not trained in these matters to attempt to break up a fight, but yes, security should be able to do something. Letting it happen could make other customers feel unsafe and uncomfortable shopping in a place like that.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, I think simple shouting and rude comments are tolerable, but when it gets physical, the police should really need to step in. I don't blame the employee though if they chose to not get involved, because they might get hurt in the process.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    This happens way too often and it's sad...too often it's grown adults doing the fighting, too! I guess I can see why they might not want to get involved though- they don't want to be accused of doing something wrong or hurting somebody if they are just trying to break up the fight. I think in certain situations people might be more inclined to try and get involved, but if it's just 2 adults fighting, I could see why they might be tempted to just call the police to handle the whole thing.

7. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    We appear to be de-volving as a species. If I thought for even one iota there could ever be a possibility of me getting into a fight, in a store, over some BS, I think I would just end it all right now.

The exception to this would be some sort of self-defense circumstance, and I obviously do not know the circumstances of this particular brawl, but if if was over something petty, shame on us all.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It surprises me that adults still consider fighting to be the best way to solve disputes. Quite obviously these strangers didn't know each other so whatever trivial matter that got them fighting could have been ignored by the party which was offended. What could have made the issue worse? Pride?

The store's 'no-intervention' policy is disgusting. Yeah they may care more about insurance and stuff but do they expect their employees to stand idly when someone gets pummeled to pulp?

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure it's a liability issue. If customers are fighting and it gets violent, if a worker steps in and gets injured, Walmart does not want to be responsible for paying for the medical bills. For this same reason retail workers aren't supposed to stop shop lifters incase the person gets defensive and violent.

I am amazed when I see fights break out in stores too. Some people have no shame. :/

10. polski691

polski691New Member

Threads:
    I really cannot grasp the concept behind a rule that would prohibit store workers from getting involved in a fight. Sure, they may not want to be held responsible for anything that might happen, but the situation could end up a lot worse if they do not put even the slightest effort to break the fight apart! What could end in a simple exchange of rebukes could end up into something much worse if not dealt with promptly.

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    You people do not understand why security guards do not involve their selves with a human fight or controversy, so let me explain in simple terms:

The people acting as security guards, do not want to get sued!!!

Also, Wal-Mart Security Agents are not publicly recognized and authorized persons given the jurisdictional capacity to stop and arrest any humans engaged in a fight, altercation, or controversy like a man or woman acting as a police officer. Wal-Mart Security Agents, are only hired to protect and secure Wal-Mart products and the store itself - they're not public servants, only employees of a corporation. Knowing this fact, maybe now people can understand why any security guards [most of the time] do not get involved with people's controversies, it's not a moral or ethical neglect, it's about business and Legalities.

12. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Well I guess that scene in Paul Blart-Mall Cop is fictional...the one in Victoria's Secret, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend. Ha!

By the way,what is Victoria's "Secret"...Queen Victoria, that is, that she was a man?

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've never seen a fight inside a store, thankfully. Considering the type of people who shop at Wal-Mart, it's not really a surprise to me that you saw a fight there. I wish people would learn how to behave. Fighting is unseemly period, but especially so in public places. It's pretty silly employees can't break up fights, but I can see the logic in that because stores obviously don't want employees to get hurt and have to deal with a lawsuit.

14. Lady350

Lady350Member

Threads:
    I totally understand that security guards don't want to put their lives on the line for silly fights in a store, but the police can at least be called. It wasn't the security guards that I was speaking of, it was store clerks. The store clerk told me their rules o fights in their store and I sheared my surprise with the rest of the world. I would not want to put my life on the line for a fight, but for as long as it went on, the police could have arrived. They did destroy store merchandise, the snacks by the check out counter. I hope this does not happen again. People really need to learn to walk away from silliness.

15. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    That's weird that the staff is told that they are not allowed to get involved when customers are fighting. I can see why they are told that because people can get hurt. You would think security would step in and do something since the clerks aren't allowed to do anything. I agree that the police should at least be called to avoid people getting hurt.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I can see and understand why they would not want to intervene. It's just too easy to get roped into a court case these days and it's much better to just have the fight peter out instead of jumping in and possibly risking getting used for hundreds of thousands If not millions of dollars. I think they are doing the right thing because if they risked themselves then they risk their employees' jobs and if it's just over something petty that the shoppers decided to fight about then it wouldn't really be worth it.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually cannot believe that the security guards would just stand back and let the fight take place! Are you kidding me?? Lol. What is the point of having security guards then?? Are they afraid that people are going to fake an altercation as a cover so that other people can steal from the store?? I have never had a fight in a store. I have never seen a full out fight, but I have seen disagreements. Nothing violent though. Did this happen in the USA?

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think I and other posters have mentioned why they probably didn't get involved in the fight, DreekLass. Companies are deathly afraid of lawsuits these days, and for good reason. It's way too easy to sue and win in America in 2014. People do it all all the time on frivalous grounds and end up winning anyway. It's a big risk for businesses to take, so they likely don't want their employees taking any sort of chance of getting injured.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess I can understand why Wal-Mart would not want their employees getting involved in any altercations - though I suspect it's less about the well being of the employees, and more about them being so tight with their money they don't want to pay for any lawsuits. Although I find it kind of hard to believe that they wouldn't be held liable in some capacity since the incidents are happening on their properties.

With regards to the people fighting, it's really tacky. Some of these folks are just major attention whores, and if there is a long line of people waiting to check out, they see it as a captive audience for their shenanigans and want to put on some big show. It's really pathetic.

Wal-Mart already has a reputation for attracting a rowdy bunch of shoppers, I suppose adding security guards would only make them look worse than they already are. That would be kind of like putting bullet proof glass and metal bars on the doors and customer service desk.

The sad thing is it's only going to get worse leading up to Black Friday. We can only guess how many people are going to be injured or even killed this year, as in years past.

20. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Most Walmarts do not have security guards or someone mentally or physically equiped to handle an outbreak of any kind. They pretty much depend on "John Doe customers" to stop a fight. The reason an employee is asked to stay out of it is pretty simple if you understand the liability issues at stake. I for one do not mind breaking up a conflict providing there are no weapons in the mix. But, like a few have states in other replies, it gets worse as the holidays approach. The stuff out in the parking lots of some of the larger stores is nothing compared to two people wanting the same pair of shoes in the shoe department.