Fine Dining

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Adeal4u • May 19, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a nice restaurant in my whole life. I always thought Denny's was upscale. :D Has anyone been to a nice restaurant before? If so, is it worth the extra money?

2. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah maybe twice a month if the eatery is lucky. It is much cheaper for me to get something from the grocery store and fix it for myself and my family. It costs way to much to eat out and you never know what some moron is doing to your food. You should figure what you wantt to eat and get the recipe on line and make dinner for your family one night. They will love it.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I do like fine dining...only very occasionally though. I just cannot make any excuse to myself to spend so much for dining more than once or twice a year. If you choose correctly, you do not even have to spend that much. Groupon even has some 5* restaurants on their list of coupons now.

It is good for the experience, and the food is sublime. If you are not convinced, don't bother though...as it is more experience than anything else. Only spend disposable cash there. Although, I must admit...nothing beats what one serves at home.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It has been a very long time since we have been to a fine dining restaurant and even back then it was only once or twice a year. It is very expensive and you can make just as nice of a meal at home for a lot less money. It is like Linky said, it is the experience that you pay for.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually have eaten at fine restaurants before, but it was always a family affair like after graduation or other milestones. I really did not have to pay anything since my parents or uncles/aunts were the ones that paid for it, but I don't think I would want to splurge my money on food. I'm content to just eat in fast food chains.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Heh heh, if Dennys is the most upscale place you've been to, you're in for a treat if you decide to venture out and go to a fine dining restaurant. I was going out pretty regularly due to my job for a few years and got to try out a lot of the nicer restaurants in my neck of the woods. Thankfully the vendor I was meeting with either picked up the tab or my employer would.

If you plan on going, I would spend some time doing some research online first to get a sense of the menu, prices, dress code, etc... Also, I would suggest going during the off hours, so the place isn't slammed. Sometimes going at like 3pm vs. 6pm can make a huge difference for example.

I love going out to eat at a nice restaurant instead of blowing a bunch of money at a dive bar. I look at it this way, I can easily drop $50 at a bar after ordering a few weak mixed cocktails and tips. I would rather put that towards a nice steak dinner instead sometimes, and forego the booze - unless you decide to splurge on Wine too.

Also, budget enough money for the trip so that you have more than enough on hand - if you are going to treat yourself, go all the way, don't spend the whole time worrying about what the check is going to be.

7. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I used to do it like on a weekly basis before but not these days. I have been really tight with money but once in a while we go to this Japanese restaurant in our place and the price is not so bad although it's already considered one of the high end restaurants here.

8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! I once was taken on a dinner date that cost $900 after a $700 dessert wine. It was at Ruth's Chris and I swear the filet minon melted in my mouth. I have never had such a delicious steak in my life, and the creme brulee is the stuff dreams are made of. Even though I didn't pay for it, it was worth every minute with a date I was not very attracted to. I personally wouldn't spend more than $200 on a meal for two and even that is a very very rare occassion.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Longhorn is about as far up the fine dining ladder as I've gotten so far, and that in the afternoon when the prices are lower. So, no I guess I've not done what most would consider really fine dining in my life. I doubt that I ever will. Unless you count my kitchen, which most times is pretty fine I'm told.:)

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've been to places that cost amounts you would shake your head at. However, I've never preferred eating out. My form of relaxation is the cooking itself. If I can do it for the cheap & make a delicious meal double to great feelings it gives.