First Year Wedding Anniversary?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 27, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    What's the best way to celebrate one's first year of being married?!

A few years ago, my wife and I were faced with this very question, and it really did give us a bit of a challenge, because our financial resources were a bit strained, with it being our first year together, just starting out, and newly facing the world together, and still trying to secure a good job!

We kept it really simple, and actually saved towards it: just a meal with the two of us and a lovely drive out to the country. We loved it! Because it was just us, which is all we need.

How about you? Do you have any suggestions for other couples who would love ideas in celebrating their first year wedding anniversary?

How about gift ideas? Especially on a "first-year budget", lol.

wedding anniversary.

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the traditional wedding gift for a first year anniversary is PAPER, so it shouldn't be hard to find or that expensive in any case. If you want to go for the modern wedding gift list, CLOCKS are for your first year anniversaries. Which ever you choose will be fine, as long as you attach some deep meaning and effort into the gift.

3. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    The first year is represented by paper, so you could do something like framed pictures, tickets (plane, movie, concert, etc), personalized stationary and other paper products to be traditional. Or you can go the non traditional route and get lingerie, sex toys, tools or anything you know your partner will like. Pay attention to what they like and want and it should not be hard at all.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As noted, paper is for the first year anniversary. This could be a beautiful card made from handmade paper (Try Etsy), or even just a love note written in the mate's handwriting. I don't think the what and where are that important early on when things are new in the relationship. It's usually just exciting to celebrate those milestones, even if it means staying home and cooking dinner together.

One affordable yet sentimental option for a gift would be a nice candle. The couple can light the candle together every year on their anniversary. It isn't expensive, but it's kind of a nice way to begin a (hopefully) lifelong tradition.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe in keeping everything simple. Hence I usually buy something that would not cost me a lot of money. I do not think there is anything better than that.

6. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I think that finding the right gift for every occasion really depends on the couple. As you originally stated, you did what was "you" and really enjoyed yourself. I personally think, the first year is about really showing your spouse what you mean to them. In our house, actions speak louder than words and MUCH louder than money (Especially since we don't have any! ha!). Sticking with the traditional paper gift could be fun! It could be interpreted in so many different ways. Tickets to anything could count as paper, a hand made card, or monogrammed stationary could all be fabulous gifts!

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps some of those saucy vouchers? You know the sort I'm talking about, the ones that promise the bearer to "favors"! That's not everyone's cup of tea though, so how about a beautiful photograph or card?

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Spend time celebrating the fact that you made it to one year. Choose a good atmosphere that you both enjoy, eat good food and laugh a lot. Your gift can express your appreciation for a good year. Many people don't make it through the first year transition of getting to know, and getting accustomed to living with, etc.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Just be happy and do something you enjoy doing together. Enjoy each other's company and realize that you have many years before you in which to buy whatever it is that you'd like to buy but can't afford to buy right now.
    Actually, as you do get older, you find that it's not the gifts that are really important anyway. It's the remembering. And, hopefully, the realization that you're still in love after so many years.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    We are planning ahead to our First Year Wedding Anniversary as what you were talking the limited budget we have also. We're planning to spend just the two of us a simple dinner. We love going to a overview site at night watching stars, meditating and chatting.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am really not into gifts. Personally, I would just like to celebrate my first wedding anniversary simply, probably going out to the movies then having a romantic dinner together. What's important is that you're happy in each other's arms. :)

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is so true. The memories you are making now will outlast the material items that you give as gifts. Making memories doesn't have to cost a lot either. Watching a gorgeous sunset while holding hands is free!

Picnics can be very romantic as well as being affordable. If you find a nice spot, you can enjoy some treats and enjoy the company of each other. Dance in the moonlight.

Just use your imagination, and you'll likely be surprised by all the beautiful ideas you'll come up with that will create memories to last a lifetime.