FitBit...is it worth it?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by dustysmommy2013 • Jul 7, 2014.

1. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I've recently started thinking about getting an activity tracker for steps counted and calories burned. Obviously, the most highly recommended product is the FitBit. Is it really worth it or would a basic pedometer be just as sufficient? I'm also debating between getting the one you can hook onto your clothes or the one that's worn on the wrist. I like the concept of the wrist band but its hard to believe that it could ever get an accurate reading of how many steps I take. Shouldn't those be counted at the hip.

I'm very torn because if I'm going to buy something, I'd like it to be a high quality product. However, there are instances when the cheaper product can do just as good of a job. Is this one of those instances? Do you have a FitBit? Do you recommend it and why or why not? Which model do you use? Thanks!

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, a simple pedometer would be sufficient obviously, if you're just looking for something to count your steps for you, but a Fitbit does so much more than that, now doesn't it? Last I checked, and I must admit it's been a while since I looked them up, they track your steps, how long you've been running and for how far. I believe the wristband Fitbit also tracks sleeping cycles, to tell you how well you're sleeping, if there's any issues and such.

I'd recommend looking into reviews of them. I'm considering a wristband one myself, so I'll be asking you for your feedback if you get one!

3. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    I've looked into several reviews and they are mixed. I like the fact that the wrist band does so much more like track sleep. I just wonder if I would actually use those features. Then again, I think I might regret not springing for a high quality activity tracker. I do hope that more members on here can provide some insight and I'd be glad to share my own experiences if the FitBit is what I decide to purchase.

4. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm that's understandable I suppose. Have you considered using it for a while and then returning it if you find that it's not to your liking? You might be able to find a gym or somewhere that supplies them, and which wouldn't mind giving you a loaner, as such.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so glad you posted this, as I've been looking into FitBit and Polar and such, wondering the same things myself. On the one hand, I don't think it's as much of a necessity as some people seem to...there are people who absolutely swear by it and insist they are successful in large part because of it. I think you can certainly be just as successful without one, but I don't doubt they could be helpful, I just wonder *how* helpful, you know? Worth the cost? They do seem to have quite a few good reviews.

6. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    I think it helps immensely in the sense of making sure you stick to your goals. Sure, I *want* to get 10,000 steps a day but who's to know if I actually did? A tracker would show me for sure and most likely motivate me to do it again tomorrow. I do like the idea of the Fitbit Flex which is worn on the wrist. Its very understated and doesn't look like a tracker because it doesn't have a face to it. All the information is sent wirelessly to Fitbit's app. I think that is so cool in theory but logic tells me that it wouldn't be accurate. How is it going to track steps if its on your wrist? Shouldn't it be on your hip? These are the things I think about. :)

This might be one of those instances where I have to bite the bullet and well..."just do it!" The amount of positive reviews makes me think its a good investment. I feel like I'm active and get plenty of steps in per day but I'm probably nowhere close to what I really need. This would help with getting there.

I am a big fan of The Pioneer Woman and her blog. She has recommended the Flex several times and she has yet to steer me wrong when it comes to products she loves. I always love them too. It would be nice to just win a Flex when she gives them away but I haven't been that lucky yet.

7. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    I love mine! I use it to track steps, sleep and as an alarm. My only complaint about mine (I got the pink FitBit Flex) is that the rubber bracelet is dirty looking now. It started happening just a few days after I got it. Other than that, I have no complaints!
    I reviewed it

a little while ago

8. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    This sort of technology will likely make some tremendous strides over the next few short years. With that in mind, most of what's out currently really seems limited and more gimmicky. Fortunately, smartphones are jumping on the band wagon and this will help accelerate things. I've glanced at the FitBit and alike and just feel it's better to hang on to that money for a bit longer. Most of these should drop in value rather rapidly.

9. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    If I was to buy one, the pink Flex is what I plan on going with. I wonder if you can take a micro cloth and wipe it clean. I would hope so considering the fact that FitBit assumes you will be wearing it most of the time.

So would you say that you use all of the available features? Would you say that wearing it on your wrist actually does provide an accurate reading?

10. Billynlex

BillynlexNew Member

Threads:
    If you're only looking to count steps and their conversion to calories lost/sustained, I wouldn't spend too much money on Fitbit. The problem is that Fitbit also tracks numerous other things, which usually aren't that informative to your average user.

11. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I just use a pedometer from Walmart or the one I downloaded on my phone. I looked at Fitbit and everyone swore by it, but I'm not shelling out money for something that expensive that I may quit using in a few months. There is just no way. I know there are some cheaper ones, but it just didn't seem worth it to me. But, if you're sure you're going to use it all the time, it may be worth it. It does have a ton of perks and allows you to connect with friends.

12. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    Do you use your pedometer all the time? Do you remember to put it on? Does it give an accurate reading? I understand what you're saying, especially since my main reason for needing a tracker is to count steps and calories burned. I just don't know if I would remember to attach a pedometer to me every morning.

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    If you do, as you say, bite the bullet and buy one, let me know how it goes as I've been considering picking one up as well. I'd quite like to hear from someone I know what they think of it, and if it's actually worth investing in one, you know?

14. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My sister had a FitBit for the wrist and it worked for a week and then just stopped. When she took it back to the store they told her they were all out of them--this was after Christmas--and the store actually recommended she just return it and buy a pedometer because they were getting so many FitBit returns. I don't know if it was a bad "batch" or if the kinks were worked out, but I wanted to share that experience because while they're not the most expensive they also aren't cheap and I think we all want to invest in good quality products. My Mom uses a pedometer and loves it, she just pops it on her waist band in the morning and off she goes.

15. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Don't they have free apps that track your steps? I would rather try those than shell out the money for a wristlet. That's just me though.

16. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    I have heard of several apps that do this and I have looked into them but gone no farther than that. They usually have pretty bad reviews and honestly, I do not want to keep my smartphone in my pocket all day just to keep track of my steps. I wear yoga pants or sweat shorts a lot so that wouldn't work out anyway. We are planning on upgrading our phones later this year to the new S5 that supposedly has a tracker built in so I am sure I will look into that.

Even after reading all this advice, I am still not sure what to do. I actually read an article last night about not discounting the sleep tracker because sleep does contribute a lot to health and weight loss. So, that makes me think I should get the FitBit and use the sleep tracker. Then again, reading negative reviews from you guys makes me think it might be better to just go with a simple pedometer that tracks steps and calories. I need to make up my mind soon!

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think so, as long as you have a smartphone you should be able to install some apps that do lots of tracking for you, it simply uses GPS instead of tracking you steps so it might even be better.
    Of course there is always some value in getting equipment specifically designed for a function but it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons of each option.