Fitness Center Membership Sign Up Fees?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ABC123 • Mar 20, 2015.

1. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Over the years I have been a member of several different gyms or fitness centers. I am wondering how one month, the fitness center requires a membership fee when signing up and then another month they do not. It seems unreasonable that those who have been attending and paid lets say their $99.00 sign up fee are know workout with others who just have to pay their monthly. I feel ripped off when I join a gym and pay the sign up fee only to see posted the next month no sign up fee. Anyone else notice this?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Gyms offer months with no sign-up fees as a promotional benefit to get more people to sign up. They very often do it in January (to catch those with New Year's resolutions) and then again in late Spring or early summer, to catch people who might be thinking about swimsuit season.

To say it isn't fair is kind of stupid. That's like saying it isn't fair that a shirt you bought went on sale a month after you bought it. It has nothing to do with the people who are already members... it has everything to do with getting more people to join.

That said, it is probably worth the time to be a savvy "shopper" in the case of joining a new gym, and wait for a no-fee promo to pop up and snag it. You can also always try (any time) to suggest that they give you a deal even when they aren't running a promo, or ask when the next promo will be.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I also don't feel ripped off. You are paying for the service. If you want to save, then sign up when they have a free offer and workout out outside or run around your neighborhood. A gym is a luxury and not a necessity. It is pretty sad when you miss out on a deal, but try switching to a cheaper gym.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always look for a gym which doesn't charge a sign-up fee in the first place. Currently, I'm a member of the municipal leisure centre which offers discounted membership. It's great value and requires no joining fee.

One way you could negotiate a discount on joining fees is to take up the free trial membership that is often offered then when they try to get you to commit at the end of the trial, advise them that you'd love to join but the sign-up fee is too high. Quite often, staff will be able to offer a discount.