Fitness Trackers

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Happyflowerlady • Apr 1, 2016.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Several months ago, I got a small fitness tracker called a Fitbug Orb. It is a little round device that can be worn on a wristband or as a clip-on. I didn't like the feel of the wristband, so I always just used it as a clip-on and that worked fine.
    I really like how it tracks all of my steps, and it also encouraged me to walk and move around more. Since we started going to the fitness center late last summer, too; I was also able to add in the exercises and swimming that I did, by using the online app for Fitbug.
    It was actually fairly cheap, as fitness devices go; but i found mine at the liquidation store; so I got it for only about $15.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use a tracker device of any kind yet. I like to wait a bit to see what other people experience with it and then buy one if I feel it's necessary to have one. For now I don't feel that a tracker is necessary in my life. I ride the bus so whether I like it or not I walk and walk some more, lol!

3. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I think that it is a personal decision, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe . When I was able to walk (which I love to do), I would just walk for an hour, and know that I had walked about three miles.
    Now, my knees will not allow me to walk like that anymore, but I do use the Gazelle Glider, and also exercise in the water when we go to the fitness center.
    I like the fitness tracker because I can enter any exercise that I do, and it helps me to keep track of it better. Swimming for an hour is equivilant to walking 4 miles, according to the tracker, and I can even add things like gardening or other exercise or activities.
    The fitbug also has a place to put in the food that I eat, and then you can also track how many calories you ate and how many you actually burned up each day.
    I need to do that part, too; but I just get busy and forget to put in meals.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady :)Fitbug sounds very good to have.

#4Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  5. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    The one that I have is called a Fitbug Orb, and it is just a little round device that clips onto your clothes, or it can also be worn on the wrist like a watch.
    It has one button, and when you press that, it syncs with the fitness app that comes with it; so it is very easy to use. The Fitbug will also measure the quality of your sleep, and tell you when you were in a light sleep or a deep sleep. I don't have any sleeping problems, so I don't bother doing that part, and you would have to wear it to bed for that to work.
    Amazon has the Fitbugs for about $18; so they are actually really cheap as well.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if a fitness tracker is really necessary for me. My weight is at a normally accepted level, I exercise at least three times per week, and I do a lot of walking. However, out of curiosity, I may acquire one after all. Maybe it will be able to give me some useful information that I would not be able to acquire otherwise.

7. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    Since I am a senior, and don't have regular exercize each day like I did when i was younger and a lot more active; it really helps me to know how much exercisse that i am getting each day.
    My Medicare Advantage plan has th fitness membership as part of their benefits, and we go there every other day as a normal thing.
    It seems a little silly; but because I am wearing the tracker, I am more aware of "needing to get in my steps for the day" each day.
    Rather than parking close to the door of the grocery store, I will park further out in the parking lot where they keep the shopping carts, and then walk the extra steps to the store.
    When I was younger, i did that kind of thing without even thinking about it, and then when my health was so bad that I couldn't walk to the door, I got in the habit of parking in the handicapped spaces and not walking so far.
    So, now, I am healthier again, and re-training myself.

8. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot find a decent pedometer to use for my fitness goals. Is doing 10,000 steps practical or even achievable? I'm looking for a fitness app or tracker that can help me achieve my fitness goals and I haven't found a good one in local sporting goods shop. I suppose it's not going to matter and should just focus on the routines rather than the tools.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this fitness tracker until now. I only know about fitbit. This one seems interesting, i will have to look it up for further details.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been wanting to get one, but it's still a very expensive where I live. And we don't have that many options. I wanted the fit bit, but as I said it is expensive and I have other priorities to get with my money. But I think it's for interesting and whenever it is more affordable I'll make sure to buy one.

11. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I am trying to decide about. I wonder if I would use it or would it land in the fitness equipment graveyard, in the back room. I could stand to read more discussion on this topic. My son and his wife have them and they say they are worth it. It might be a good way to grab onto some fresh motivation, but if it would not be lasting, then I would rather pass. Maybe I'm just not ready for it yet.

12. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I can totally relate to what you are saying, and that is why I started out with such a cheap fitness tracker. Until you have actually worn one, you really can't tell if you are going to want to keep wearing it or not. I found my Fitbug at a liquidation store for about $15, and figured that was cheap enough to see if I would use it or not.
    It turned out that I really liked it, and with the app, I not only keep track of all my steps and exercise, I also can track my food intake with it, and it shows exactly how many calories I ate, and how many I burned up each day, which is pretty cool, in my opinion.
    After I had the fitbug for a while, I thought I would like a more expensive one, and my daughter bought me a Leaf; which is like a beautiful leaf outline and can be worn like jewelry.
    It was around $200; so you would think that it would be awesome for that price.
    However, the app didn't do anywhere near as much as the fitbug app does, and it turned out that I really liked the cheaper one a lot better.
    I definitely suggest trying out a cheap one and see how well you like it before spending a lot of money on a more expensive fitness tracker.

13. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    I wore the Fitbit for a while, and still feel that it is a useful bit of kit to the person who is casually interested in the amount of effort they are actually expending daily, with some additional utility for getting a bead on what a person's sleep cycle is like.

It is pretty limited when a user wants to really drill down into the data, and its metrics are limited.

I just wear my Polar V800 running HRM watch now instead. The analytics in the included tracking suite are fantastic and offer almost every detail one can imagine along with GPS mapping and sharing of maps with other users, and when I want to track high effort training exercise and activities, the chest strap offers exceptional accuracy. I wear it daily and would not think of training, hiking, or doing (most!), any other high effort activity without it.

14. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    There are so many different fitness trackers on the market nowadays that everyone should be able to find one that is in their price range, and will work best for them.
    I am now on my third fitness tracker, a Jawbone UP24, and I really LOVE this one ! The UP is a soft, flexible bracelet that can be charged with a usb charger, so I now do not have to worry about having to replace the battery ever like I did with the Fitbug and the Bella Leaf. This UP tracks my steps and my sleep patterns, and I can add in other exercises, such as when we go to the fitness center and I swim.
    It is comfortable to wear, and easy to take on and off when necessary, like for swimming. Since I am on a limited budget, the one that I got was a close out from last year's model, so it was even pretty cheap.
    Mine looks just like this, but a pretty pink color. IMG_0351.JPG

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of Fitness Tracker since you will be able to track your workout progress every day, your activities and it can even track how much calories are you burning each day. Well I've tried pedometer in my phone, I downloaded one from the Playstore and I don't even know if it's accurate or working fine. I've tried several apps but I don't think they do the job :( Do you know what's the best fitness tracker for Android?

16. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    That's actually really nice. I like seeing all my work and accomplishments by number or any sort of visual. It would motivate me more since I see my progress and next time, I can try and do more than what I did before. I would also be able to set goals like this without losing track and having to give up or start all over when I get frustrated from forgetting my progress.

17. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about fitness tracker. In fact I had never heard about fitness tracker. However, I have a fitness app on my phone and it tracks my exercise records. The app is also an exercise guide. It has a detailed animation for legs, arms and body exerciser. You watch it and copy the stems. In the mean time, the app tracks how many calories you have burned by performing those steps.