Flat-iron Hair Straightener/curler

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Happyflowerlady • Feb 2, 2015.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently went in to have my hair done, and when they were styling it, the stylist was using one of the flat-iron curlers like you would use to straighten your hair.
    I had no idea that these could also be used for curling the hair; but they not only are great for curling the hair; it looks to me like they will do a better job than the curling iron that i have been using to curl my hair.
    I watched a few tutorials on youtube, and then ordered myself one of the flat-irons from Amazon, and am hoping to be trying it out by tomorrow.
    I only have short hair right now; but it looks to me like these irons will also do an awesome job for curling longer hair.
    Here is a short tutorial showing how they work.

2. brreeves

brreevesNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried to do this with my Ultra Chi, but I always end up getting creases in my hair instead of nice, round curls. :( I wish I could make it work!

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've known for forever that you can get curls with straighteners. It does take some practice, and a lot of bending your body into all sorts of shapes, burning many parts of your body etc. But once you get the hang of it, you'll be very happy with what you can do with your "irons". I like to watch YouTube videos for inspiration, too.

4. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I have been using my "Herstyler" for about a month now, and I really like how easily it works. I think it will do even better as my hair continues to get longer again (I am letting it grow back out ). It is very easy to use, and you just take a section of hair, put th flatiron at the base of your hair, turn it into a loop around your hair and pull it through the hair. Mine is so short that I just continue to rotate the iron until it has gone all the way through my hair; but for longer hair, you just rotate it once and then slowly pull it through the hair. Since the iron is only hot on the inside, you can touch it anywhere and not burn yourself like you might with a regualar curling iron.
    I still use the small curling iron on the very short parts of my hair, but mostly, I can do everything with the Herstyler.

5. Katt

KattNew Member

Threads:
    I used to curl my hair with my flat iron as well, but it smelled funny and i think it got really damaged, although I used heat protection serum. I may be wrong, but I think that curling your hair with a straightener damages it more than a curler or than just using your straightener to...straighten.

6. Emma Watson

Emma WatsonNew Member

Threads:
    I have used a lot of flat irons/hair straighteners, including Sedu, Solia, CHI and T3 from Folica. You should get a Professional hair straightener, they style much better and faster, and most importantly, they protect your hair.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also worry about the smell of the hair burning. It basically means that we're frying our hair, no wonder we end up with dry brittle hair with split ends. The protective serum doesn't seem to do much in the way of protecting the hair! So I've cut right back on the amount of times I straighten or curl my hair. I now use a fantastic Babyliss curling wand, which claims to have protective properties, but I still limit my use of it.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use my straightener to curl my hair, but then I stopped doing anything at all to my hair. Stopped dying, stopped styling, just washed and left it. Lately though, I've been curling the ends a bit, just to tidy it up and give me a change. If I pay attention to my hair, it's either stick straight or has a slight wave to it, but I'm in the mood for bigger waves or a beachier look lately, so I've been switching between a wand and my straightener depending on the look I'm going for.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:A new product that I saw on television that's an iron, Max 2 way rolling iron to be the best kind of styling for it curls and straightens too. I've very straight hair and it's past shoulder length. I like to have it curly once in a while so I too am considering an iron or the other commercial that curls hair. My hair is so straight that I take perms, but now I'm tired of perms. Thanks for the info.:)

10. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    I prefer the curl I get from the flat iron a lot better than the Shirley Temple look the actually curling iron gives me. As long as your patient and don't have the flat iron on too high a temperature it works perfectly after some practice.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several different kinds of curling irons and flat irons. Actually, I recently sold a few on Facebook, and made back what I'd paid for them plus more. I don't do much to my hair these days, other than cutting and coloring it. I don't even use any products on it other than shampoo and conditioner, unless I'm going out, and then it's just a little something to give me lift and a tiny bit of hair spray. My hair is baby fine, so if I don't actually style it, it gets very limp, but thankfully it has a wave to it. It was stick straight growing up, but ever since the first time I lived down here, the texture has changed, and it's wavy.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have wavy hair so I am not drawn to curly hairstyles, but once I feel like it I will refer to these videos. Right now I am just using a regular hair iron to straighten my hair when I feel like it.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gifted my niece a hair iron last Christmas. This summer when we were in the beach resort, I noticed that she was using it one morning. I told here that it might not be good to use it everyday and she agreed by saying she uses it only once a week. But I didn't know that it can also be used for curling the hair. For me, I don't need it because I sport a short hair.

14. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    My hair is naturally slightly wavy; so the flat iron is handy for when I want to have it styled straighter as well as the places that I want to have with a curl.
    I think that my curling iron actually works better for curling the shorter hair on the top of my head; but it does take a lot loger to heat up than the flat iron does; so I usually just use either one or the other of them when I am styling my hair.
    Most of the time, I do not use a heat styler becausse i think it is much better for the hair not to do that. I usually jut wash it and let it air dry, and them maybe use the blowdryer to just puff it into shape around my face when it is almost dry.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen this several times, but honestly couldn't reach the same results with my straightener. I would say you need a thin and very potent straightener to succeed, and mine is thick and from a regular brand, nothing too fancy or expensive.
    But I do like the effect it gives!

16. Happyflowerlady

Threads:
    I got my flat iron from Amazon, and they have an awesome selection of curling irons of all sizes, shapes , and every price, from the cheap ones to the expensive professional irons.
    I chose one that was very expensive; but was on a clearance sale, so I got it as cheap as one of the cheaper brands would have been.
    That is one of the great things about Amazon, you can find some amazing bargains for just about everything that you might want to buy, you just have to shop through and look for theones that are being closed out for a newer model, and sometimes, there are reconditioned ones very cheap as well.
    I still use a variety of the different curlers for my hair, and do not use the flat iron excessively. Mostly, I try to just let my hair dry naturally, and them maybe use the blowdryer and round styling brush to get it into the shape that I want it to be.

17. Eva_Eva

Eva_EvaNew Member

Threads:
    But be careful with the old flat irons, don't overheat it too much and always use thermal protection. Also, take some time to learn all the possible and the best options.

Good luck with perfect curls and flat iron!

#17Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Curling or straightening the hair in a normal routine can damage your hair. I personally not that type of guy who will suggest someone to iron the hairs daily.