Flat Shoes and Jeans

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Sep 14, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I saw an infographic online about shoes and the kinds of clothes that they match. I'm not really a fashion enthusiast, so I always end up wearing jeans and flat/ballet shoes. Sadly, I saw on that infographic that flats and jeans do not match. In fact, it's a fashion faux pas. Am I the only one who does this? Does it really look that bad? :(

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course not. Many people wear flats with jeans, especially ballet pumps or flip flops. It does depend on the style of jeans, flares may look a bit silly, but skinny jeans will look fine. Many people wear loafers and jeans for a smart casual look.
    I would say wearing stiletto high heels and jeans is outdated and more of a faux pas and was a trend in the 1980s. Platform heels and wedges look okay with jeans though, so it depends on the type of shoe as well as the heel height I would say.

3. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am surprised that this is a fashion faux pas as this is how I dress all the time. I either wear trainers/ sneakers or ballet pumps. I also wear leggings a lot at the moment. I wonder what shoes I am supposed to wear with them?

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I think what's fashion faux pas is SO subjective. I like to wear what makes me feel comfortable and if that doesn't make you feel okay because it doesn't LOOK good, well...that's really not my problem.

I'm not one to wear flats though; I've never grown on them and it feels like I'm walking barefoot (I used to be a runner so I'm very protective of my feet). Maybe I'll get used to it one day, but not today!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They can say what they want to say, but if looks good, then most people will wear whatever looks good to their eyes. Wearing flats and leggings seem to be the fad nowadays, but I don't like tight and leg-clinging pants, plus flat shoes don't appeal to me, so I wear something else instead. However, I think flat shoes worn with leggings is ok to look at.

6. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a big fan of flats. I do not like the way they feel. I normally wear Jordan shoes/flip flops with jeans. I normally dress the way I want to, if I feel like it is cute then I wear it.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am just running around to do errands I will just wear my tennis shoes with my jeans. If I am trying to be a little more dressed up I will wear wedge type shoes with my jeans. During the summer I am in sandals all the time. It may not be the fashion right thing to do but I like to be comfortable.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Flats and jeans are pretty common. Wear what makes you feel good! Everybody has a different sense of style. I think flats work with jeans just fine. I like wearing flats because they are so comfy.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    What is considered "fashionable" changes so often, that I would say ignore that infographic!

I see lots of people wearing flats with jeans, by the way, and I have no problem with it.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of flats, but I think they look cute with jeans. Flats look great with skinny jeans. I think it looks weird to wear heels with skinny jeans. Fashion really is subjective. I don't believe in being a slave to fashion too. Just because something is in fashion doesn't mean that it will look good on me.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that I see people wearing flats with jeans as often as I see people wearing heels. I alternate between the two but like flats because they are so comfortable. I tend to pair ballet flats with skinny jeans or boot cut and not only do they look fashionable but they are comfortable.

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Oh no !! I hope not !! :) That is all I like to wear especially when the weather starts to get a bit cooler here in Florida. I love the way it looks, cute and classy. :) I am not one for wearing high heals anyway, I love and need comfort. I have 4 kiddos and I am running all day long so high heels would be disastrous for me! ;) I know when you watch those fashion shows you end up actually feeling bad about yourself after listening to what they say is "in".

I say be comfortable and wear what you are happy with!! :)

Danyel :)

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I know right! I really love wearing skinny jeans + ballet shoes. I do not understand why some people consider this wrong.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think almost every type of shoe looks good with jeans. Be they flat or with high heels, boots, sandals or platform shoes. I even think that certain rubber boots look great with jeans. I mean, let's face it, jeans have been around for a while now, and they are extremely versatile. So nobody can tell me that jeans look better or worse with a particular shoe. It's the style of the jeans that may be more or less suitable with certain shoes.

15. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I wear flats and skinny jeans all the time and plenty of other people do it too. I don't understand why those 2 aren't supposed to go together. Flats are the most comfortable shoes for me, and jeans the most comfortable and versatile bottom, so for me it makes sense to combine them for ultimate comfort.

16. Juan Flores

Juan FloresNew Member

Threads:
    The Daily Fashion tips

I’ve always been a fan of the casual look or what some may call street-style. I think wearing jeans with flat shoes depends on the cut, fit and style of the jeans and not to mention the type of shoes you’ll be wearing with it. For skinny or tapered jeans a cute ballet flat is ok but you have to take note of course of the shape, please choose something not too chunky. A nice pair of canvas sneakers or a sneaker is good to wear with it as well, but take note of the style, not too chunky. For flared, straight and boot cut pants, I have to say a high pump or a wedge best suits these jeans not so much for flats. The reason behind this that these type of pants, although it is very flattering for girls with wide-set hips, small hips, or gifted and non-gifted in the backside, it makes you look a bit sloppy or frumpy, it weighs you down. So for flared, straight and boot cut jeans a high wedge or a pump is best.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it looks that bad, and on some people it kind of even looks good, but in admit that it's probably not the best combination. I wouldn't necessarily call it a faux pas though. I think there are infinitely more combinations deserving of that title. Jeans go with everything, so I wouldn't really worry about it that much if it were me. If you think it looks good in the mirror, then chances are it will look good to those who will see you too.

18. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm wearing flats with a pair of jeans right now as we speak! Honestly I'm just coming onto the trend. Normally I only wear jeans with a pair of converse, but I decided to try 'prettying up' a bit and bought a pair of pink flats. It's a small, simple pop of color to an otherwise dull, wall flower outfit. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. In fact, I think it's perfectly normal for casual wear and very commonly done by many people.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think the whole concept of things being "fashionable" changes so often and so randomly that it doesn't really warrant worrying about too much. I don't think it looks bad at all most of the time, I usually wear boots or sneakers with jeans, but I'll wear flats on occasion too =).

20. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well I hope not, flats and jeans are what I always wear, unless I am going out to a party or a job interview, :D. I have always thought that jeans go with everything shoe wise. I see people wearing different types of shoes with jeans most days. People wear boots, trainers, flats, anything really in this country.