Flavored Water?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jan 26, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no need to buy something when you can make it yourself. If you like drinking flavored water why spend a lot of money on it when you could make flavored water at home?

It's very easy too.

There are lots of "recipes" you could try. Start with the simple ones and try more difficult ones when you are ready.

2. valedevento

valedeventoNew Member

Threads:
    This is a great way to drink more water! A lot of people don't like plain water and prefer to drink sodas, this could be a good alternative. I would also prefer to make my own flavored water rather than buying it since it is so easy to make, it is cheap and you know there are no nasty preservatives in your drink. I love a lemon and mint combination on a hot summer day and the strawberry version looks great too!

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard :) There used to be a time when I hated plain water, and refused to drink lots of it. But now I love it and think it actually does 'tastes' lovely LOL However, Sometimes you do want something a bit more flavoursome. But with these store bought versions, we'll never know what harmful ingredients they've added. Sure, they do list them, but what else could they be putting in there that they choose to not tell us about? I really like the idea of the strawberry water, and it's easy enough to follow the recipe :)

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not only why spend money on it when you can make it yourself, but why spend money for all of the extra crap that they include in the store bought flavored water, when you can just make it at home, and know what ingredients have gone into it? Flavored water often carries more sugar than full fat drinks, or as soda. I always avoid flavored water, unless I have made it myself.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never thought of using cucumber to flavor water, until recently when I had to spend a few days at the Cleveland Clinic with my folks. They have an Au Bon Pain (similar to Panera Bread Company) in the hospital, so we were going there regularly to get something to eat, and that's when I noticed they had jugs of water flavored with cucumber. One was plain, the other was flavored with lemon slices, and the third was cucumber slices. The cucumber water was actually quite good.

I normally just brew my own iced tea, but I could see this as a good way of using up some cucumbers before they go bad. Often times I will buy them for salads, but never finish up the whole thing before it starts to go rotten.

I've tried putting lemon slices in my pitchers of iced tea, but later realized the lemons were actually "bleaching" the tea, making it look really weak, so I stopped doing that - and instead just use them as a garnish when I pour a glass.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently started putting slices of lime or oranges in glasses of water. I let it sit for a few hours before I drink it so that the taste is stronger. I am drinking more and more water, a good change.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love this idea, thanks for sharing. What a great way to save money. No preservatives, you know what you are getting, you are helping the environment by not buying another plastic bottle. I refuse to buy soda any more. I like to take my favourite fruit juice and add club soda to it to make a fizzy drink. It's healthier, has less sugar and you get a splash of vitamin C. I really like mango or pineapple juice fizzies.

8. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I really LOVE that idea! I cannot wait to try it out. I have always wanted to try flavored water like that. It's just every time I get fruit, I always eat it... So yeah it does not ever make it into the water haha. But I really need to leave it alone, and then just toss it in the water. It looks so tasty!

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Making your own will always be cost effective in the long run. The crazy thing is that most people refuse to do it themselves. I know that I've taken on fusion bottles which makes it easier to flavor my water.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have several lemon plants in our yard and it supplies us with lemon. We harvest about 1 lemon every 2 weeks or so. My father-in-law had taught me to use the lemon to give drinking water some flavor. No, it's not a lemonade, just plain water with some drops of lemon and that's it. I'm having that for so many years now and it seems to give me a little more stamina (psychological maybe).

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy squeezing a lemon or orange into my water when I have them. I also sometimes squeeze them into my hot tea, with honey. I've never tried cucumber water. I don't have cucumbers in the house much, but when I do, they never last long. I love slicing them up with a little oil and vinegar, sometimes alone, and sometimes with a small roma tomato and/or avocado. I think I'll have to pick up a few next time I'm shopping, so I can see if I like the flavor. I will occasionally use the MIO drops or generic store variety, and also recently tried the Nestle Pure Life Splash, which I liked. On a daily basis, I like my water plain, but it is nice to have something special occasionally.

12. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I always thought I was strange for wanting some flavor in my water, I always squeeze a lemon or put a cucumber in it. I bought orange flavored water once and it was just okay, I hadn't read the label then but now i wonder if there were chemicals in it to preserve the taste or something. I think it's far much safer and healthier to do the flavoring yourself.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting. I don't really like the taste of flavored water, but I might consider making one just so that I could try it out. I only drink juice and soda, which I admit is not that healthy in the long run.

14. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy flavored water since I do not like the bottled kinds. They just taste funny. I like to make cucumber, lemon, lime, and mint water. It is so good and refreshing. I would drink it all the time but I do not always have the ingredients on hand. I tend to drink a lot of water anyway but it is nice to have a change once in a while.