Flavoured Water?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Miaka_M • May 9, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Water has certainly evolved into a luxurious good. I mean, we have companies selling one single glass bottle for like $10+ and who knows what they actually do to it. Then we have flavoured water. Sometimes there are little packets that you can put in your water, or pre-made flavoured waters, or your own version. I never liked flavoured water but now I've learned about lemon, mint, orange and cucumber flavoured water that I can just make myself. Its actually quite refreshing! How many of you like these flavoured waters?

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought any of the products on the market for flavoring water. I just use slices of lemon, lime or stems of mint from my garden. Usually the mint is just called mint tea, but isn't it really just flavored water? For that matter, isn't water flavored with pretty much anything just flavored water so long as it doesn't add caffeine, sugar, etc? I think the marketing experts have struck again making something out of nothing.

That doesn't mean, of course, that anyone who wants to shouldn't take advantage of the convenience of using the water flavoring pills or packets. Or of buying the bottled waters already flavored. It just means that there are other ways of flavoring your water than the ones the experts are glamorizing.

And yes! It is refreshing! Way more so than any soda or such could ever be.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like flavored water myself. I prefer water to taste clean, or maybe a little taste of natural mineral. I don't understand why people spend so much on water. If you don't want to drink tap water, buy a filter, it's so much cheaper. You can also flavor your own water by adding a splash of lemon juice to your water bottle or canteen, or adding mint leaves or whatever you like.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whilst flavored water certainly tastes better than normal water - well, I used to think that, but I'll get to that - it has been proven to be not nearly as healthy for the body as pure water. I don't trust these people who provide 'pure' water in any event, which is why I have a water filter in my home. Anyway, since beginning to drink a lot of water daily, I've found that it tastes really refreshing and nice. Flavored water is not for me.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve never tried the flavor packets, but I’ve bought pre-made flavored waters while I was out and about and I craved something other than plain water, but couldn’t handle strong flavors *cough* hangovers *cough* I prefer homemade flavored water, though. I use lemon and mint most frequently. Tasty, refreshing, and cost-effective to boot!

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like flavored water as a treat, often when it's hot instead of a carbonated drink as they can be refreshing. I only like lemon, lime or elderflower water. These I find are lighter and are also healthier.

There is a growing market in flavored waters, but they can be expensive for what they are. I wouldn't buy any flavored sachets because I would rather have cordial instead.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm like you, @Theo@Theo, I don't want to make drinking flavoured water a habit. I also have it only as a treat, very occasionally. I love melon water, it tastes and smells divine! Lemon is also not too bad. I've never had elderflower, but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

8. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Good point! Basically anything added to water is flavoured water, I guess there is a lot of hype going around about this new "item" for nothing. Maybe they associate "flavoured water" with something that has a lot of vitamins and minerals instead of something like coke and coffee?

I think that artificial flavouring for the water is unhealthy, but I believe that if you add in your own flavours like a lemon slice, mint etc, they actually provide the body with nourishment. I don't believe this "pure" water nonsense myself, filtered water is the way to go.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the wholepoint of drinking water, for me, is to flush my body out. So I don't particularly want to be adding any chemicals to it at all. I have tried strawberry water and it was really nice but it was probably just as unhealthy as soda really.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have tried a few of them.

My problem with them is that they use fake sweeteners usually and those tend to make me sick. Sometimes I just stick with adding lemon or lime juice instead.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    I would be inclined to agree with what you are saying. I'd also be inclined to agree with what the poster below you said. When I drink water, it is for maximum health benefits. I don't want anything messing with that formula, otherwise I might as well not drink water.

I don't think that it hurts to add your own flavoring to water. At least then you know what is going into it, and if it is juice from healthy fruits then even better.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am in a similar boat with some of the people here. Flavored water is nothing new to me but this is the first time I'm hearing about packets you can pour into a bottle of water. In the past, a local bottled water manufacturer produced flavored water versions. Though the flavors were limited, I did enjoy the taste of apple, grapes and lemon whenever I drank water. They must have been too costly to manufacture because I hardly see bottled flavored waters at grocery stores these days. Now I just settle for Gatorade and natural fruit juices.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    If companies are selling packets of whatever to pour into bottled water, in order to add flavor to the water, or sweeten it, then I am willing to bet that the stuff that you are pouring into the water is unhealthy, and full of additives. Flavored water can taste nice and refreshing, but they have be shown to be bad for one's health. Some more so than other drinks that you'd expect to be even more unhealthy.