Flea Medication!

Discussion in Pets started by SterlingJay0123 • Jan 17, 2016.

1. SterlingJay0123

SterlingJay0123New Member

Threads:
    Hey! I've tried several types of different flea medications on my dogs, and they seem to work for a day, but by the next day they seemed to have returned! I'm not really sure to do, but I'm about to get my dog shaved to get rid of them! I've tried several brands so I'm not sure why it isn't working. I've considered going to the vet to get an oral form of flea control, but I'd rather not spend that money for a doctor visit just to get medication. Does anyone have a relatively cheap alternative that I could try before splurging on a vet visit?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the flea comes back then that means there is an infestation in your vicinity. For fleas, my suggestion is for you to clean the surroundings (outside the house) with a water hose thoroughly. Water will drive away the fleas. But the inside of the house should also be cleaned with a very wet mop. Do it twice a day but keep the dogs first in a room or in another house. What we do is take the dogs in the car before cleaning the exterior and the interior of the house.

3. SterlingJay0123

Threads:
    Ah thanks, I keep vacuuming daily so I'm not sure where they're coming from, maybe watering outside will help a lot. I've honestly never had a dog get fleas before (very luckily) so I wasn't really sure why they were proving to be so problematic. :p If it's not too cold tomorrow then I'll spray outdoors. It's so cold I don't want to accidentally create a mini ice rink in my yard!

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hi!

Getting rid of fleas can be quite hard. We tend to shave the dog's hair completely, then get rid of the fleas if they're still in the skin. Of course, regularly bathing them with an anti-flea shampoo is a must. Though there are shampoos meant to be used once every 6 months only, because they're strong. Then, we also use an anti-flea powder to make the fleas slip out of the dog's skin. It's important to kill all fleas because they might replicate and reproduce if you don't. Have a daily flea session for your dog to remove the fleas. I hope this helps!

5. SterlingJay0123

Threads:
    Thanks I've been continuing to bath and brush them out, along with vacuuming them and I haven't seen anything recently, I was able to wash my back porch a little bit, but it actually began to snow and I was afraid the hose would freeze so I had to stop before I finished! Hopefully the cold will kill anything outdoors though!

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hopefully, fingers crossed! I think just continue on with what you're doing. Our dogs were infested with fleas last year and we got fleas all over the house, clothes and even bed. Eek! We have to put this one dog outside (we have four inside the house) because she is the source of all fleas, lol. And by doing that, all fleas were almost gone in an instant.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My cat had fleas and I ended up buying flea medication from an online pet store website. A friend of mine works for a vet and was able to get me a few viles of Advantage, the kind of flea treatment you put on the back of their neck. Then we ran out and rather than pay for a visit to our vet I started to look online. I could not find Advantage anywhere in Canada but I did find it at an online store. I ordered it online and had it in a few days. I was able to find it again at a Walmart in Syracuse NY so I bought a few boxes. I had to clean the house and furniture from top to bottom too. Good luck.

8. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    First, if you're getting that many flees, you should talk to your Vet to protect your pet and an exterminator to get your place checked out. That's not healthy for your dog or for you and your family. With that said, most Flea/Tick meds will give 28 - 30 days of protection. I would use CostCo/Sam's to get a good deal on 6 months worth of treatments. Within 24 hours of treatments any fleas and most of the time the places your dog frequents where fleas might be should have died. So, this is very odd, get a professional involved.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Bathe your animal regularly and then rub your animal with Eucalyptus oil after or add it to the shampoo. It should help keep the fleas at bay and make your animal smell wonderful and make their fur soft. That is what we used at an animal shelter I worked at. We saved some puppies from a puppy mill and they were covered! It was so sad, and their fur was stained with potty, and they smelled like smoke, it was awful. We used the oil and in a couple days all the fleas were gone, their fur smelled good, and the discolorment went away.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip. I have tried Dawn dish detergent as a bath supplement with my cat, but you know how cats hate to be bathed. I think that works pretty well, but maybe the Eucalyptus oil would be better. Dawn does make their fur fluffy, but I have noticed it doesn't work quite as well with flea prevention as the reviews I have read online. I am always on the lookout for something that might be better.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When my cats had fleas, I bought the type that you put on the back of the neck and it worked great. I did not have to treat the house at all. The vet told me that as soon as the medicine starts working all the fleas in the house would die. I am surprised that if it is cold that you are still having so much problem with fleas. I would definitely consult a professional though because it does seem a little odd that nothing has worked. Good luck.

12. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    This is a situation where you have to evaluate the pros and cons of your options. Your gut feeling may not be of service here, as it is subject to preconceived notions about what is and isn't a chemical (all compounds are chemicals, natural or not), and tends to fixate on risks even if the odds of them occurring are vanishingly small.

A monthly topical treatment (Frontline, Revolution, etc.) from your vet will work 99% of the time, has caused minor skin irritation in a tiny fraction of animals, and a major reaction in a tiny fraction of that fraction.

13. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Firstly, give them a warm bath with a medicated dog shampoo. This does actually wash off all the fleas and the majority of eggs. Then put some baby oil with lavender on them. Put a bit on the palm of your hands and rub them together. Then with flat hands, rub all over your dog. Lavender repels fleas.

My pup Carly had frontline but it irritated his skin so I stopped using it and now his skin is fine. Lavender has always worked brilliantly, I even squirt a bit of lavender baby oil on their bed so it goes over their fur while they sleep.

Also, you could get a special flea comb and go through the fur when you come in from a run. This helps to catch the odd one or two that the dog may pick up while you were out, and catches them before they start laying eggs.