Flexibility Can Save You Money?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Aug 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can only take advantage of great travel deals if you are flexible. You could always plan to visit a certain place but must also be willing to visit another place that's just as good if you learn that you'll save some money should you visit this other place. Can you change your plans and visit another city because you'll spend less money there?

How flexible are you guys? Can you change your travel plans overnight?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling is really great, but a lot of people do find that they cannot afford to go. You're quite right when you say that being flexible can save you a lot of money, and this might make the difference between being able to afford a break, and not being able to go at all. So, yes, flexibility is something that I would certainly recommend, as it can save you a lot of money in the long term. This is definitely how people can get the best deals on their short breaks.

3. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Being flexible can definitely save you a lot of money when travelling. For example, if you'd planned to visit one specific place and then you find out that it's pretty expensive, if you're flexible you'll just pull out and go somewhere cheaper. I can change my plans overnight, in fact I don't like having proper set plans for each day. If I set loads of plans, then I'm less likely to be flexible overall, whereas if I don't have a proper plan in the first place, I can just go wherever (if the price is right).

4. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Eh, I'm quite stubborn on where I'm traveling to because I much prefer spending the money on somewhere I'm really interested or I know I'll have a good time rather then somewhere I don't want to go. Even if it means saving money. But in terms of price, the cheapest plane tickets here are mainly within the states or Canada. Anywhere else farther away and you've got to spend quite an amount anyways. Since I'm not planning on exploring the states (because I grew up in US and I think it's that same everywhere), I'd rather go abroad international and visit countries of different culture.

I could save money but unfortunately I'm not too flexible in terms of travel destinations. Once I'm set, I'm set haha. So for me, it's more about saving enough money to go there to enjoy myself rather then thinking how I'm gonna save money on vacation. Vacation is 100% worry-free for me haha. (Not really good, but I prefer it that way :p)

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel for work so I can not be too flexible. I do plan to travel more and hope to be more flexible to be able to save a dollar or two. It will be nice to take a voyage where I an stop off when ever I want to in a few states along the way.

6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Travel is the one thing I am absolutely not flexible about one bit. I stick to my budget but I make sure to plan accordingly so that I don't have to make any changes.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard I try to be flexible with travel plans because I do belive that is the way to save money and get the best deals. It is one of the ways that you can often get the best deals. Sometimes it is being available for last minute travel. Sometimes it is traveling on the weekends. Sometimes you can get better deals on long range plans. Mid week travel is usually best with the airlines.

#7Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been in this position before, but it's certainly an interesting idea. Obviously if the offer was irresistible, I'd have to look at other factors including the safety and how expensive the country was. But I'd certainly be open to alternatives, just as long as I hadn't paid anything towards the original holiday.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard We have a trip to Vietnam in September and this early we are already planning to make a side trip to Seam Reap in Cambodia just to see the sights. A friend said that it takes only 1 hour trip by bus in going to see the old temples in Cambodia. It's ironic because we have an itinerary in Cambodia but none yet in Vietnam, hahahaaa. In fairness to Vietnam, the food there will be our hunt.

#9Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  10. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Flexibility is the most important thing for tourists, specially among for those who zealously wanna explore world's all wonders not a just few selected one. Yeah...I am exactly that kind of person. I just love doing this and wanna enjoy my life's every single moment. So being an amateur of traveling, mostly i used to book online tour, where i can save money. I focus one destination, where i am going. No matter if some time i may sacrifice for food or anything that doesn't matter for me. But nowadays internet makes it so easy for everyone but still we need to be more careful we have to check properly because there are lots of conflicting information out there so... be flexible don't just think about to save money and don't just think about your comfort. If you wanna explore the world then it's huge...
    Try to be flexible so you could make your dream true. Nowaday i mostly book my online tours on

and on

, I found there great deals at really reasonable pricing. What are your favorite ones, must share the names so i could get idea about some new ones. :D

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think being flexible in your travel dates can definitely save you money. For example, I'm a teacher and am limited to March Break, Christmas and summer to take holidays. March Break and Christmas break are the two most expensive times to travel. Flight costs are at least 5 times more than what you would pay in April or May. We traveled to Florida in April while I was on maternity leave and the hotel prices were very reasonable, Disney wasn't too crowded and flights were down right cheap.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to traveling, I won't compromise a lot with money. I plan and organize everything very carefully, and all the work that I put into it before I actually go, usually saves me quite a bit of money. Once I arrive at my destination, I like to do exactly what I dreamed of for a long time. Obviously, there is plenty of room available for surprises, but in general I don't change anything around unless I have to.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do think being less picky and more willing to adapt can end up saving you money. If it turns out that own trip can end up saving you some money and you think you'll still have the same amount of fun then it can be a good choice. Personally, I can change my plans if I think I'll be getting the same value but when I know I will have a better chance at relaxation I'm willing to pay more because I think that is a very important part of vacationing.

14. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to save money and try to found a way, where I could explore my selected destination at less pricing... I dreamed to explore world and for this i have to save money. Because if I will save I could make another tour once more. BUT QUALITY ALSO MATTER...

15. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, traveling is expensive but people can save money too. Travelers will be really conscious of it.

16. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    These words describes it in best way...

"Balancing your money is the key to having enough” - Elizabeth Warren