Flowers or Chocolates?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Athenagdlyt • May 27, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    A bouquet of flowers or a single rose has always been known as a traditional gift for women. However, not all women like flowers. Some women would rather have chocolates or a gourmet basket instead. Besides, flowers are getting expensive these days. At least, chocolates can be eaten, but can not be displayed anymore, unlike flowers, which have a longer shelf life.

How about you, women? Would you rather have flowers, or chocolates / food item as a welcome gift from a special someone?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer flowers, but do think it is the thought that counts. I know that flowers die, just as chocolates disappear when we eat them, but I love having fresh flowers in the house because of the way they brighten a room and can make the whole house smell good. Sometimes when I get flowers from my boyfriend I like to keep them in the bedroom on my bedside table so they're a nice reminder of him when I wake up.

3. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I too love fresh flowers. I do not want a whole box of chocolates because I will eat too much of it. At Easter I do like a single egg or chocolate rabbit, but just one item. A single rose is nice, so is a dozen long stem roses. I would love a dozen pink roses. Actually I have never received a whole dozen red or pink roses, but it would be nice. I also like jewelry for a gift. A silver or gold chain, or a nice ring. I also like bath products for a gift. My husband always buys me bath products for our anniversary and I love them.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like both, but if I had to pick one, I'd choose flowers. I think flowers are a great addition to the indoor surroundings and it's really best to splurge on them once in a while, and I think the best time to do this is for certain occasions wherein you can be gifted one. As for it being only temporary, I don't mind it that much either since it's not like the chocolates would last forever either, and at least I wouldn't have to consume calories to gain the necessary happy effect when it comes to flowers. :)

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Flowers are my choice. Not anyone likes or eats chocolates but most people like flowers. Plus, you can't decorate your house with sweets, can you? ;)

Now, if I have the time, instead of flowers or chocolates I usually buy something useful for the person I want to gift to. Flowers are expensive so I'll do better and use that money on useful stuff that I know a person needs. Sure, you have to talk in advance and 'dig' for information, but for close friends that's not a problem.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Funny, I prefer flowers, and he knows what I prefer, but hubby always does the chocolates thing for valentines day. At least I have been able to gently, ever so gently say, please look for those that have nuts in them. Frankly, they are easy to find, but he makes it hard so I don't get them too often. Sigh But I do have to say in his defense, he always gets me some birthday sweet of some kind because he knows it's important to me. It doesn't have to be a cake either. This year it was cupcakes. Ahhh....

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer chocolates because I really enjoy eating them. Although I must admit that flowers are much more romantic. I just really don't like it when it's already time to throw away the flowers because it has wilted already. I feel sorry for the giver that I have to throw it already but of course, I have no choice. I make sure that I take a picture of the flower though to have some sort of a remembrance.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother and my mom appreciate more flowers. So I would rather give women flowers than chocolates. Besides most women nowadays are very particular with their size and their diet. They would just find no use if chocolates were given to them. Chances are they would just gonna have it given to their siblings. Unlike flowers, they display it and they get flattered when someone sees it and ask who gave it to them. Also, I like chocolates, so rather to give it, I would just have it eaten myself.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I love and prefer chocolate haha! On the day I gave birth to my baby I received both flowers and chocolates as a congratulation gift. I ate and finished all the chocolate on the same day and left the flowers for my husband :D