Food In The Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sunflogun • Jun 4, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    When you are going to the movies do you buy popcorn, water or something else? The prices there are surreal, super expensive and many of them forbid us to take food even if alike from home. So what do you do, just the movie or you pay some more to have some popcorn?

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't need snacks at the cinema -- I'm here for the movie experience and the snacks and drinks are really very expensive like you say. Plus, this kind of unconscious eating and drinking really becomes mindless when put in that context (studies showing that we drink more and eat more, regardless of taste, if we are absorbed in a movie and the container is right there).

I do sneak candy sometimes, though.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to go to the cinema, I would just buy junk food and soda at the supermarket, and then I will just eat them there. I don't buy any food at all from the moviehouse. I'm not even fond of popcorn.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy popcorn, candy and Icees, but they’re just too expensive anymore. Plus most of the concession options are pretty unhealthy. So if I do want to eat something, I’ll sneak it in. And I don’t really like to drink during a movie because I don’t want to risk having to use the bathroom during an important part :p

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, sneaking in is a really tempting option, but at the same time and considering I don't go that often to the movies, I might indulge myself and get some popcorn, it's a small luxury, but the kids to love them and me too. :)

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's absolutely no reason why anyone should be chewing anything as they watch a movie.

Does it add anything to the experience? No.

Most people buy popcorn and soda or either of the two because everyone else is doing it. I never used to buy popcorn or soda when I went out to watch movies but right now since I live in a town where there isn't a theater, that needn't concern me anymore.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nah, I don't usually indulge in any of these types of snacks unless I have a coupon that greatly reduces the price.

I usually have dinner right before a movie anyway, so I'm not particularly hungry.

I may occasionally buy a water if I'm really thirsty around that time, though.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a Dollar Tree in the same shopping center as my local movie theater, so I just buy boxes of candy there.
    The only thing I sometimes buy at the theater is a soda because sneaking beverages in is awkward.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Some cinemas here allow us to bring in fast food and some also offer membership plans that give us discounts on tickets and snacks so for the most part we have a bit more options on how to save. I admit it's getting more and more difficult to find cheap options now though since even with those options everything is getting a lot pricier.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    This reminded me of a memory with my sister:

I believe I was sixteen years old & she, being my older sister, told me for my birthday she was going to take me to see whatever rated R movie I wanted to see. Before going into the movie we stop at a Chinese restaurant & she picks up two containers of take out & walks out. I tell her I'm not going to eat that after it's been sitting in the car for two or more hours. She ignores me, walks into the theater (with the containers in hand mind you), pays for tickets, finds seat, & commences the eating of Chinese all throughout the movie. Just hilarious.

11. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I totally sneak in food! The girl brings her extra big purse and we put out favorite treats in there. First off the movie food is way over-priced. Second there isn't really healthy options. I like to bring some nuts and some dark chocolate.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    My whole cinema experience wouldn't be complete without munching on a box of popcorn, but sometimes I am fine with eating just tacos or cheeseburgers inside the theater.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently went to the cinema to see Poltergeist. I paid £8 something for the ticket, and then I ordered a medium ice blast, along with a medium sweet popcorn, which came to another eight pound something. It is absolutely terrible, when you can get a bag of cinema style popcorn - which tastes better and is the same size - for £1 from your local shop. I have been known to take food into the cinema because of the prices, and I am not sneaky about it either. If they want people to buy from them, they need to lower the freaking prices.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to buy pop corn and drinks but realised we were being ripped off. So when we go to the movies these days, which is rare, we usually have a meal first and then go onto the movie. That way we're so full, we don't need anything else.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea, but I couldn't do that. I love to eat a snack whilst I am actually watching the movie. I am the same when I am at home, and settling down to watch a television show or a movie on my laptop. I always want something scrumptious to eat. Getting a bag of sweets or popcorn from the corner shop sure beats out the cinemas extortionate prices. I couldn't eat a full meal before hand though, because I'd likely want to then skip the movie, go home, and sleep lol.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe, I know what you mean, DreekLass! A full belly and I'm often ready for a nap. But what we tend to do is mooch around the mall first before the movie, so that by the time we get to the cinema we've worked it all off and are alert. We also like to snack while we watch a movie/TV series, but we refuse to continue lining the cinemas' pockets. We do that at home though, as we get our snacks cheap from the supermarket :)

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    It may seem evil, but I actually do bring some food from home, usually chocolate covered raisins that fit nicely into my purse. I usually do buy a popcorn bag and a drink and share with either my brother or my boyfriend so that we don't waste money and food unnecessarily. But, I do agree that it is quite pricey at the theaters.

18. peter021

peter021New Member

Threads:
    For me its a good choice to have foods(pop corn,soda) while watching movie it gives me additional unwinding, however i concur its costly to have one while watching movie as you have to purchase ticket. be that as it may, some of the time its good idea, as to treat your self :D

19. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Lucky for me and my family, a theater near us has deals where we can watch a movie and also have popcorn and drinks for a lower price! We really hated buying snacks in the cinema because of how expensive they are so with that amazing deal, we always have some snacks and drinks with us when we watch a movie! I really hope they don't discontinue the promo or I'd be really sad watching a movie without my snacks and drinks.

20. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The issue for me here is that I love the popcorn from the movies, so sometimes when I am passing by I even buy popcorn there. I know it's expensive, but I don't do this often and it's a small luxury I like to have. I usually don't smoke or drink so... :)