Food Prices

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by romanesc • Sep 18, 2013.

1. romanesc

romanescNew Member

Threads:
    I went to the store today and was absolutely shocked to see regular bacon priced at almost $10. I thought almost $6 was bad enough, as this price was the average for a long time. With the food prices going up, Americans are surely headed towards poverty.

2. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the economy is getting really bad, but are you sure that what you saw was a pack of regular bacon? Maybe you saw some of that premium stuff that is really expensive...

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm in Canada but either way, I don't really buy grocery store food. Everyone says eating real food, from the growers etc is more expensive and they would eat healthy otherwise, but I haven't used a grocery store in a long time and we're spending far less on our groceries than we were.

4. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    Were you at Whole Foods? That place is ridiculous! As much as I would love to shop there, there's no way I can possibly afford to. Where I shop bacon is around $4 or $5 depending on what kind you get. I do shop at one of the cheaper stores in my area. For the most part that works out. But on occasion the quality is severely lacking. More than once (and in fact, far too often) I have bought meat that is already bad, or goes bad the day after I buy it. I guess that's the price of shopping at the "cheap" store.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried couponing. There are a lot of couponing sites that teach you the nitty gritty on how to save on your groceries. Although food items like meat, vegetables and such rarely gets any substantial discounts when couponing the other items like soap, deodorant, shampoo, detergents and such do so you can save around 10 to 20% of your shopping costs on those items. It might not seem like a lot but if you divert your savings to say your credit card debts then that can further increase how much you can save as a whole.

6. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I think the price of the groceries are getting higher and higher. I have a budget set for a week, but now that budget is not enough anymore. Instead of a week, it will just cover for 4-5 days. I don't know, the prices are going up, but our salary is still the same. :D

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I would suggest that it was some organic kind of bacon, that organic stuff is VERY expensive, no wonder not many of us buy it.

8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Kitkat, this quote is interesting because many people in Jamaica, where I'm from, are experiencing this. The food and utility bills are getting higher but the salaries are still the same, and in some cases, are reducing.

9. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Goodness, was wondering where you may be that it is priced that high! I am in the midwest (us) and can get bacon on sale for $1.99 per lb! I always stock up at that price, otherwise you pay $4-6 when not on sale

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Especially from a grocery store. Their suppliers are allowed to throw around the word organic.. hard to find anything these days that actually is. We get our bacon from a farmer nearby. One of the things we spend a little more on, but I'm not worried about what I'm ingesting anymore either.. worth it.

11. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    You're right; that is outrageous. Where are you buying bacon at that price? Please don't pay that.
    I know all the cheap places to buy food in this city. I know where the sales are and I jump on them! I have a teenager in the house and you know they eat day and night!
    Look around, even if you have to travel a bit (don't burn gas to save four cents of course), Find those cheap places. don't worry about brand names either!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not from the US, but I think that as time goes by, prices of food and other commodities will rise, and there is no way that it's gonna go down. My parents always said that during the 70's, food was so cheap that they can fill their market bags with fish, meat, chicken, fruits and veggies for a fraction of the amount of our current grocery expense.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've definitely noticed food prices rising and rising....it's awful. My husband and I both love cooking and getting healthy, good ingredients for our family is important but it takes some finessing these days.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I saw bacon at Walmart it was still $5. What store did you shop at, and are you sure it was just regular bacon? I agree that the prices of groceries are going up. Even cereal prices are rising, but $10 for bacon still seems kind of high.

15. gracie

gracieMember

Threads:
    I like Festival for meat and vegetables,the prize seem reasonable ,I don't remember seeing their bacon for 10 dollars..I agree that prices are going more and more insane, I think it's a lot when my husband pays 5 dollars for a mix vegetables with spinach for his salad.I told him to go start planting his own veggies in our backyard lol. I'd assume that 10 dollars bacon has to be organic. I am annoyed with some stores like Walmart in our town,loves to re-arrange their stuffs !so you always have to watch out for the sign of organic or non-organic.

16. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    Food prices are rising every month it seems food is more expensive. Then if you buy whole foods or organic they are even more. I am grateful that I have a garden and can get fresh vegetables without having to spend so much. The other day I went to get peaches, which are in season and locally grown. Usually they are about .69 cents a pound. They were $2 a pound. That translated to a dollar a peach. Can't make a peach pie like that!

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like prices will always go up and we will have no day in this as always. It's just part of that cycle that we call life at this point. It's almost as if when we get the bonus in our job the prices of everything begin to increase as if its a curse.(haha).

18. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Here in Portugal we have some aggressive campaigns. Big supermarkets chains offer client cards and products with discounts up to 75% on client card, what means that the next time you return you will have 75% of the value of that product to spend.

On the other hand, it also depends on what we buy. The other day I went to buy just vegetable to make a soup and it was super cheap, just around $5 for everything for a big soup and some other things...

19. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I actually noticed this earlier in the month when I went to do my major grocery shopping trip. I was commenting to my fiance how food was noticeably more expensive from just the month before. I don't know how a family larger than ours, which is only three people, can survive. I'm pretty thrifty too, and I buy in bulk. Forget about eating super healthy too, because the prices on a lot of the produce are obscene.

I'm really thinking I'll need to start cutting coupons. I just don't see much way around it.

20. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    A person really has to learn how to shop and stick to it. Prices are ridiculous and if you find a sale on meats, freeze em. If burger, make your own patties and freeze em. Easy to fix and saves money. If other cuts, freeze em for roasts and stews. Don't waste anything, grow or buy veggies on sale and freeze them. Also pick your store. There was a thread here on Fresh and Easy and I have one in my little town. $5 dollars off $25 dollar purchase and you can use it again (another 5 off 50, another 5 off 75) and they have a bargain section from food to fruits and veggies to bread. They also have a "Friends" of F and E, that build cash if you pick online coupons for bonus points in addition to any purchase made. I like it better than Whole foods since they have organics and international food and all these perks in addition to decent everyday prices.