Food Prices

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Bolt • Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Food prices continue to rise. We are paying more for less and the current situation will not be changing, it will only get worse.

How are the food price rises affecting you? Do you have any tips for reducing your food bill?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do ad match and coupons to lower my grocery bill i haven't found any good websites for coupons i would like to so that i can print some more coupons instead of just using the ones in the paper which sometimes isn't many that i can use.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I find that when I stick to simple things that I can cook rather than prepared foods, I'm not affected as much by the rise in food prices. The price of eggs, for example, has been pretty stable, I think.

4. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I agree that eating out becomes more of a serious drain than a fun time. The silver lining to this that it motivated me to learn to cook better which saves so much money. I also take advantage of deal coupons like Living Social and Groupon for food specials and such.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's definitely harder to pay for groceries now.

One of my biggest tips is to shop at Aldi's. The food is high quality but a fraction of the cost as other stores around here.

I like to make sure at least 2-3 meals throughout the week are rice or bean based, too. They're super cheap and good fillers to stretch other foods a bit farther.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Food is more expensive now a day for much less. I'd rather fix heavier foods that keeps you full longer than to buy and serve light foods that don't last long. Anyway, it will make your food bill much cheaper like long ago. If you can make yourself a garden, that will save you a lot of money and it will be fresh.

7. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    Yup- they continue to rise.
    My way to counteract this is to shop at different stores. I know what Aldis has that is cheap, and I know what is on sale. I like to shop online and order my groceries, so I pick them up and therefore I'm not going up and down the aisles. (One of my stores does this.)
    I also coupon and match up to sales and stockpile. So, I have ingredients on hand.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Inflation in the price of food products is a phenomenon that extends in various countries worldwide. I live in Argentina and the increase in this type of products is remarkable. The cost of living increases and salaries don't accompany this growth process. However, there are always simple strategies to get quality products with reasonable prices. We must go several different stores and compare prices. Faced with situations of this magnitude, we must learn to diversify our purchase and take advantage of discounts and deals offered by department stores. Buy at wholesale prices is another viable option. :)

9. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know, I do pretty good at Walmart. They usually have the best price, and if I can find it cheaper somewhere else all I have to do is tell them in most cases or show them the ad and they match the price right away. When you combine that with coupons it really stretches a dollar.

10. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of Aldi. It must be a local or regional chain.

I shop at Trader Joe's. I buy what's on special for the week. Most of my food items are basic and their prices are stable. I have given up meat and that has drastically cut my grocery bill. I eat a lot of beans, rice, lentils and soups. The cost of processed food has gone up dramatically in my area. I have cut those items from my grocery list.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was pretty shocked when I went to buy a head of iceberg lettuce a few weeks ago and they wanted like $2.50 for it. I usually get those for 50-75 cents a head! The store had some sign stating that abnormally cold weather has caused problems with their supply temporarily. This better be temporary, lol.

I do still hit fast food once in a while though to save a little here and there. You can't beat a McDouble and a small fry for only $2.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree on Aldi, they offer good value when compared to the big supermarkets and the quality of their products is usually quite good.

I don't bother eating out now. I think to myself I could cook that for a third of the price and it will probably taste better as well.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot more cooking from scratch these days than I have ever done before. I also try to plan out meals that use similar ingredients so I can buy in bulk. I also try to utilize all of our leftovers and make soups and stews. We don't have Aldi's or Trader Joe's in our area and right now Walmart has the cheapest prices. If prices go up much more, we may have to start buying a lot more ramen and mac & cheese again!

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    DontPayFull.com is the best site to print coupons. If you are signed up with rewards sites, you can print coupons through them and get rewards. So if you're on Swagbucks and print grocery coupons there, not only do you get the normal discounts on your groceries, you also get Swagbucks for each coupon redeemed.
    If you're on Sendearnings or Inboxdollars and print your coupons through them, you get the grocery discounts and 10 cents added to your Inboxdollars account for each coupon redeemed.

If you're not on any rewards sites, you can print your coupons on DontPayFull.com or Walmart.com.

16. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Aldi is all over the world - it's a German company - but they don't have as many branches as LIDL. For example, I have 3 LIDL stores within ten minutes' drive in different directions from my home, but only one Aldi. Their profits have increased substantially since the start of the recession, so they may look to expand their network of stores.

Back to the topic, I'm coping with higher prces by cooking more foods from scratch, and using more eggs, chickpeas and rice as the base for meals rather than as sides. I also go for lower priced cuts of meat, and cook them in the slow cooker. I buy all my fruit and produce from the street markets rather than the grocery store, and I only buy produce in season. In fact, because I'm being more selective and careful with my food shopping, I'm actually spending less now than I was two years ago.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, and the prices will only go up as time goes by. Not only the prices of food, but everything will be affected. I think that if you buy in bulk then you can save a little money and also if you buy the cheapest brand of whatever food you are buying, but you should also be aware of the quality of what you are buying, if it's acceptable.

18. super7

super7New Member

Threads:
    With rising grocery bills and no raises for some time now, we all have to tighten our belts and we found this coupon site

where we save 90% off on many grocery items that we use daily.