Food that you would like to grow in your garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Aurora • Nov 6, 2014.

1. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    People are growing more concern about eating healthy today. Some even insist on buying organic food. Have you ever thought of growing some food in the garden yourselves? This may be healthy too because you can avoid using chemical fertilizers to grow your own food. What food will you grow if you do not have much time to take care of your garden?

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I am growing a vast majority of my food and it does take up a lot of time. I am not sure what foods would not take much time to take care of them because if you have a garden that is actually on the ground, you have to tend to it a lot. You have to weed and prune. Maybe if you grow in boxes or containers, it might take less work.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would like to grow almost everything in my garden as it is not worth it to keep buyimg food from stores when you can very well do the task in your own home. However due to the climate where I live I do not think it s very easy to grow stuffs and maintain it. If I really wanted to grow something it would be all sorts of fruits and vegetables.

4. adbutler0104

adbutler0104New Member

Threads:
    Growing food in my own garden would be so lovely! Since our family had a tragedy in the early part of this year and lost our entire home to a fire, we've been in the process of relocating and one of the main concerns of our new location is to have enough land to have a small garden. My children love to dig in the dirt and help me outside with our potted plants until we move and can plant them, so I'm sure I'll have little growers on my hands when the time does come.

A few of the things that I would love to plant are potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, watermelons, and a few others that are seasonal. I have been searching online for new and innovating ideas to grow these plants in. One idea I came across was using old tires for potatoes. It's on the list of things to do when we move. The kids are very interested in watching things grow and I hope that we can all use our garden as a family experience and a learning one for them.

5. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I must say every one here is having a huge interest in gardening as well. I Personally didn't take care of my garden but i haired two gardeners for it. My garden offers me a completely relaxation and peace of nature. Nowadays We are working for oranges and guavas trees... what do you say??

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Anything that can be grown, I would like to grow, but particularly the leafy greens. They are so nutritious, but so expensive. I would like to save money by growing things like lettuce, kale, chard maybe spinach. It's a lot of work though and I have very limited space and limited sun, so I don't have too much I can work with right now.

7. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Many of us who live in urban cities find it difficult to grow their own food. But some people are so clever and they use empty containers and their walls as their garden. There is really no excuse when you are serious about what you do.. and YES, we have to spend time growing our foods as it is more safe and organize rather than rely on the fruits being sold in the supermarkets that were mass produced.

8. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    hy owesem75! I totally agreed with you some people grow plants in containers of within the support of walls, But i think better option is to grow planets at a wide place. In this way we could enjoy an unusual and exciting views of natural beauty...... Isn't it?.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I was a little girl, my grandfather has been growing all sorts of fruit. All of the grandchildren wold be playing in the back garden, and we would have to avoid stepping on the sprouting carrots and potatoes, and turnips. He would grow all kinds of produce, but those are the forms of produce that stick out in my mind. So I feel like growing my own food is already a part of me just due to that lol. The other part of the story is how they are tampering with our food these days, to our detriment. There has never been more cancer, and I am linking it to te food - especially GMO food. If I grow my own food, I know what the food went through from conception to harvesting.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly I have had to give up on the idea of growing veggies and fruit in my garden because a lot of people around me have cats who love to use my garden to do their business and although we have a big garden and only a little section of it was used to grow food, they would always go toilet in that section!!

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I plant vegetables, but I just started. :) I have tomatoes, okras, and kale! It's very nice to be able to grow what I eat because I can be sure that it is not loaded with pesticides and other artificial fertilizers that have health effects. :D

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I really like looking at the green gardens that people have in their home. I rarely tell people this, but I am very passionate about gardening. I always find new things to look at when I go gardening, like lizards, grasshoppers, butterflies, and bugs. That's why I don't go gardening often. I would like to grow coconut trees, banana trees, gourmet tomatoes, avocados and carrots. :confused: I can only imagine growing potatoes, though, because there is not enough land for community farming near the areas where I grew up and where I live.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to grow potatoes for several reasons. I consume a lot so none of them would go to waste for starters. Also they are a very efficient use of small space, so in my garden alone I could probably grow 4 sacks full. I know potatoes are not really expensive anyway, so I would probably be saving less than £50, it's cut's a lot of dependency.

14. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    With a newborn at home I really dont have the time or energy to dedicate to a garden, but I have always wanted to have a potted herb garden and I think that I might try my hand at this project this year. I love to cook with fresh herbs and they can get pricey when you have to buy them constantly - but the materials and seeds are much cheaper in the long run.

15. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    This year I grew chives, green onions, strawberries, tomatoes and lettuce. I grew them all in pots and it came out wonderful. The tomatoes I should have planted earlier because I only actually got to enjoy a few of them before the rain started. If you're a beginner, I would start with all of those! Very easy and low maintenance!

16. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hy i am also interested to grew tomato as well, but that would be my first time. I searched all method form searching engine. But i think you could provide me some best tips regarding to it. :rolleyes: will you????

17. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I would grow anything that could be grown in a pot with little effort. Tomato plants (of nearly all varieties, including the five-foot tall kind) grow vary easily in a pot and grow lights work wonders for them. The fruit isn't quite as succulent as the sun-kind, but they aren't bad if you consider the source. If I actually had the room I would love to try my hand at pumpkins and watermelon. They are big enough you don't have to worry about weeds much. About the only thing you need to do is occasionally redirect the path of the growing vines.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fast-growing vegetables like lentils, onions, arugulas, mustard greens and radishes are ideal when you live in a city setting and do not have enough time for raising plants. Also, unlike other greens, you can harvest them after a few weeks or in a month. In fact, you just see about pouring water over them regularly and thye will just grow on their own.

19. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hy primalclaws1974! I am glad to read your info about your interest, it seems to be you had huge info about growing different plants as well. and thanks for sharing such a useful info buddy....

20. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There are a few things that I would love to grow in my own garden. Though, I probably wouldn't use the dirt around my house without having it tested first. I'd love to have some tomatoes and a few peppers just out in the back.