Food Trucks

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Oct 12, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Im not from U.S. But for a few years now I've been watching food trucks get more and more popular seeing it on my food shows. I've always wanted to try a lot of me but unfortunately I'll have to wait for my trip to get to do that. In the meantime, however, I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with food trucks such as if the wait is long or if you have any minor complaints or even praises. Any particular food trucks you love or hate? Any dish from them you find noteworthy?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy food trucks, but it's not a place to go if you want comfort. You usually need to sit on stools if you can find them (otherwise you have to stand), and the food is not usually very cheap. They can get quite expensive.... At least that's the experience I had going at food trucks in California several times. But they are cool and it's a nice experience. You can usually try out different and exciting new food.

3. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Here in California food trucks are quite common. They mostly sell authentic Mexican food, especially street tacos. They can be really good although sometimes you worry about their cleanliness. I think the simplicity and casualness of food trucks is really charming. In Portland, Oregon food trucks are even more of a big deal and they offer a wider variety of cuisines. I unfortunately did not get a chance to eat at one although I definitely will next time I visit. A lot of them have creative and funny names, like Potato Champion, which just cracks me up. I think they specialize in baked potatoes, lol.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    At one of my former jobs which was for a very large company, we were lucky enough to have many of the food trucks here in Cleveland pull up to our campus each day for lunch. On any given day of the week there were at least two parked out front, and we would follow their Facebook pages to see who was coming and when. I suppose it makes sense to park outside of places like that instead on some random street, so you know you will get plenty of business.

They were fun for the most part, sometimes they had really well composed sandwiches and other meals, other times the stuff on their menu felt more like stoner food thrown together, and yet other times, they simply took junk food like Tater Tots and sprinkled some Rosemary on them and sold them like some gourmet product for $6. The quality of the food really varied. You could start to tell which ones had decent restaurant quality equipment in their trucks and which ones were trying to wing it on a little George Foreman grill and a Presto Fry Daddy Jr.

It can get pretty expensive ordering from them several times a week since they often cost quite a bit more than your standard fast food. One of my favorite trucks sold an incredible Banh Mi sandwich that had really soft roasted pork and a crispy french roll, which was well worth the cost, while others might sell something silly like a grilled cheese sandwich with Fritos in it and a fried egg on top, then squirt Srirracha on it and try to charge you like 10 bucks for it.

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    The food is always really good, it seems, but definitely not a place to go if you're looking to be comfortable and relax. Of course, you can sometimes sit in your car and that's perfectly fine, I don't mind it at all, it's always well worth it.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I like food trucks. They serve food fast, and they are very cheap. I hate going to canteens because I don't like falling in line for a long time. :)