For anyone that games - which console is more likely to win the 8th gen race?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • May 14, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So there is now talk about the 8th generation of consoles and I have to wonder which console will end up reigning supreme this time. Last time Xbox jumped the gun, but managed to snag more sales then they might have if they had waited; Sony tried and mostly succeeded at becoming the Mac of game consoles; and Wii became a juggernaut if only briefly thanks to appealing to non-traditional audiences.

Do you think they'll continue those trends or will they try new formulas. I think that Sony might well take the crown this time if they remember that more then anything gamers like having a large amount of titles to choose from. Last time the launch library was too small and unfortunately it never really grew the way Xbox did so I never really enjoyed the PS3 the way I have the 360. As for Nintendo I think they are going to have to step up their game and start trying to draw in the old crowd as well as the new if they want to continue in the game rather than end up like Sega or Atari.

2. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    Wii U is definately a new system, but I'm not sure if it'll attract a new crowd, unless it adopts a more "traditional" controller that people can use as well, but at least it's less focused on using motion control. Expect the Xbox 720 and PS4 to both be pratically the same as the predecessors, just with higher graphics and better processing. Kinect & Move will most likely just migrate to the new systems, and will (hopefully) be readily compatible.

3. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I would say it all depends on the rumors about not being able to share your games. I am not sure if this holds true to for the xbox console but I have heard/read things about how playstation will have unique IDs for games that only your console will be able to play it once you have put it on your system. This could potentially destroy the used game market and I for one would not support it. I am the type of person that waits for games to go on sale to buy them especially if they are rehashed games like madden and CoD.

Nintendo really needs to do something different in order to get some new consumers. I mean I enjoy their games but how many times can they keep remaking the same game and people not get bored of it?

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't heard that PS3 was thinking of doing that, but I suppose it makes sense. I've long since come to regard the PS3 as the Mac of consoles and if there's one thing Apple is guilty of it's being something of a control freak about's its software. That said if there is one thing people are good at it is breaking through coding like this, so I imagine this would work for about ten seconds and then the internet would go to town.

As for nintendo they did well in getting the more casual gamer to join in with the wii, but they're going to need to do something to get more "hardcore" gamers to take them seriously. I mean they had a couple of games like the Silent Hill revamp and Mad World, but there really wasn't anything for say the COD geeks or the ME fanbrats. They really need to work on that for the coming console.