For your wedding - would you hire a band or dj?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Jun 3, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Weddings are a once-in-a-lifetime special occasion and for that reason most people tend to splurge on them to make them the most memorable moment of their lives. But considering the fact that most married couples get divorced within 10 years, spending too much money on a wedding would be unwise.

If you want to spend lots of cash for your wedding you can still do it but is there any point in hiring a dj or band when you can play the music yourself from whatever music player you already have? It's not that the music the band or dj will play is any better than music you play from your ipod or something else?

Question to you guys, is, would you hire a band or dj for a wedding [question is only hypothetical for those of you who are already married]?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For a wedding I prefer a live band. For me it's more "classy" to have a band on my wedding than a DJ. I don't think I'll ever consider a DJ for any of my parties. :)

#2Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    In my wedding there will be a live band for sure. You can't compare playing music from an iPod to a live band.

And I feel like DJ isn't fitting into the whole wedding setting, but I guess there are different weddings.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never gotten married so I'm not aware of the rates these bands and DJ's usually charge, but would it be completely crazy to hire both?
    I can see having a band for dinner service and until midnight or so and then they get off and the DJ starts playing music instead.
    But I bet that as in most weddings, I'd go for whatever my bride wanted :D

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably a band... a DJ doesn't seem like a good choice for a traditional wedding party. Now if you are having a cool wedding party just to gather friends it could be fun, but when it comes to weddings I'm pretty traditional so I would choose a band for sure! That is what I plan on doing when I get married!

6. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    It's 2014. Why spend money for either of these things? Most places you'd plan a reception have some sort of sound equipment. Just make playlist called wedding on your ipod and let it take care of itself.

7. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    I think I'd be much more likely to hire a live band than a DJ-- people are right that it would be easy enough to make a playlist myself and DJ the wedding. I could, however, imagine having a really amazing time with a live jazz band playing, as I think it would bring to my wedding the perfect mix of class and fun. I'm sure it depends on the person though, as I think there is certainly something to be said about having a really good DJ. I'm just a bit of a control freak over my playlists anyways so I could see myself butting heads with a professional hired DJ. :p

8. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't have any of that during my wedding day even though the party was on the beach side. We had all nice musics playing from the beach bar especially for us and I thought it was nice enough.

I was actually more worried if the foods and drinks were enough to all our guests. It is always a good idea but to hire a dj or a band for your wedding is very expensive nowadays and if I have to go through it all over again then this one will still be on my last list of consideration.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted a DJ for my wedding but my fiance only wanted a band, to compromise we hired both. I think either is acceptable for a wedding it just depends on what you're looking for in terms of atmosphere. One thing to note is that bands are much more expensive than DJs. Our DJ will be $1700 for 4 hours, the 10 piece band is $11,200 for 4 hours (it makes my stomach hurt to type that).

10. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I went to a wedding of a distant relation of mine and she had a DJ for the time when people would dance. The DJ played the music far too loud and the music hurt my ears! Should I ever get married and have a wedding I would request that the music not be able to burst eardrums and make it too hard for people to socialize.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    None of the both I will hire. I will hire an orchestra instead in my wedding. Because I want it to be very really formal and not the jagged type to have either a band or a DJ. It's not the kind of a party celebration, but a wedding. So I guess that it would have to look really mature, respected and really formal. So I think that orchestra will best fit into it.

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Ideally having a band is the best solution but it is always rather tricky. When you get a band you have to get the right kind of sound you also have to book the right type of venue and also at the same time you have to set everything up right for the band to be able to perform at a high standard. So for me it is a bit risky. If I'm on a limited budget and all I really want to do is create an environment when my friends and family can have a great time and we can celebrate the wedding then it's best to just find a great DJ and equip them with the best equipment. Also another thing is to consider what the budget is. If the budget is huge and I'm very flexible financially then I would get a really good band to do the job for me

13. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Hopefully, I'll be getting married in a year. I may be biased in my opinion but, I am a drummer in a band so I would prefer having a band play at the ceremony than having a DJ. It's more intimate in my opinion.

But, you know what? The things I like will not matter because, as always, the wife has the last say. HAHA!

14. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm...I think I'd go for a band, wouldn't you? I mean, it's more intimate and can be used for the other aspects of the ceremony, not just the dances you know? Although then again, bands usually don't want to stay for the entire event, so you end up booking a DJ as well to carry you and your party through to the wee small hours of the morning, you know?

15. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    We didn't have to pay anything for the music at our wedding because my brother-in-law had all the DJ equipment and took care of it for us. I loved having a DJ at our wedding because he was able to take requests and make sure that every song that was played was something I liked. I like live bands too but I find them hard and awkward to dance to.