Foreign Tv Shows

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Mar 18, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been watching too many English tv shows and online videos lately so I decided to watch some Japanese tv shows for a nice refreshing break instead and I'm now on a binge so I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on some foreign shows that are entertaining.

My favorite things to watch are variety shows from every country, including Japan, Korea, and even Mexican TV, as usually they are very unique and filled with a lot of comedy and sometimes even a bit of kink, but unfortunately I just find them randomly and I'm hoping to get specific title suggestions. Also, any other type of foreign tv show would be welcome as well.

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    In my country Korean dramas are very popular. I think you would love it to. Try to watch Faith and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. Those two are my most favorite. They are romantic fantasy series from Korean available with English sub.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I admit that there have been times when I have found myself drawn to the Spanish Novelas that air on the Spanish channels here in the United States. The thing is I don't understand Spanish so I can't understand all that is going on in the story, but I sitll find these to be entertaining drama. I sometimes wish that the American Soap Operas were this compelling and dramatic. They use to be years ago, but now they seem to just be repetitive with the same old stuff happening over and over. I would love something like the Spanish Novelas give their viewers story wise.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I quite enjoy Japanese and Korean variety shows, there's all sorts of crazy and funny antics being performed for the sake of comedic effect. I would recommend the series Running Man to people who enjoy Korean pop culture.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am also a fan of Korean and Japanese television series. However, I am more interested in watching dramas than variety shows. I love watching Korean drama series which featured my favorite Korean actress, Ha Ji Won. You might want to see her portrayals in Memories of Bali and Secret Garden. She was kind of funny in Memories of Bali and Secret Garden was also hilarious. On the other hand, a good comedy-drama series from Japan would be Great Teacher Onizuka and Gokusen.

6. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Japanese variety shows are great as well. I've been a fan of Gaki No Tsukai and all their variations. They're very funny. Here's a link to their reddit page so you can check them out:

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only Japanese shows I've seen were My Boss My Hero (which was pretty funny, admittedly), Densha Otoko, and some of the sentai shows (mostly Kamen Raider GAIM). I don't usually bother with foreign live action, whenever I watch, it's either American or English production.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a massive fan of watching television shows from other countries. I usually only watch if there is a lesbian couple in a soap opera from another country? They have some of the best lesbian couple story lines, unlike the US and the UK, which heavily uses lesbianism to draw in viewers before killing one or both people in the couple, or just using it ti draw heterosexual men in. I watch Yuri when I can find it too, and have learned quite a few useful phrases in Spanish, Japanese, and a few other languages through doing so.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, that's interesting. I've watched a few things with subtitles, but they have to be really good for me to have the patience to deal with the subtitles. It is a good way to learn more about other cultures and pick up bits of other languages though, so that's what makes it interesting to me. Sometimes, I find myself having to go back, stop and start, to make sure I haven't missed anything when there's subtitles. I don't always have time for that though.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like Korean dramas and Mexican cheesy novelas like "La Rosa De Guadalupe." It is about the miracles that are made by Our Lady of Guadalupe. It is pretty funny and over the top, but very addictive!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch Thrill channel on cable tv, it's usually filled with either English or Asian horror or paranormal/suspense themed programs. Try tuning to it, I sometimes chance upon good Asian movies there.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, I've often been so thirsty for a good properly done lesbian story lines, that I have sought them out in via foreign countries, which almost always have subtitles. If the story is good, then I have no issues with reading subtitles. Usually the person who subbed the clips has the timing right. Other times it can be too fast or not fast enough with the picture. The only thing is that I like to observe the body language and facial expressions of the characters, and whilst reading the subs, you can't always do that in the way that you'd like to.

13. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well living in Ireland I love American shows on FOX. I'm I so glad we get FOX nowadays. I love Blacklist, Kitchen Nightmares, Walking Dead and anything else FOX have done really, like Fringe, I miss Walter Bishop, lol. Also 24 must of been the best show on the planet.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't watch many foreign shows, but back in the 90s, I watched one soap opera (telenovela) on Telemundo, called Kassandra. For some reason I loved that show. I don't even speak Spanish. I've taken it and can understand some, but I I think I watched with the closed captioning on, because I got the gist of it. I loved the characters and drama, and was very sad when it ended.

I don't know if the link will work, but it's the wikipedia entry for the show, it was Venezuelan.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've watched a string of Korean dramas lately and my recent favorites include My Love from the Stars (incredibly enjoyable and funny), Kill Me Heal Me (totally a masterpiece with a moving plot), Protect the Boss (Ji Sung at his best) and The Girl Who Sees Smell or alternately called Sensory Couple (suspenseful, funny and romantic all at the same time). As for Japanese shows, I'm fan of MatsuJun, Shun Oguri and Kame's shows so I can only recommend you those that they've starred in like Hana Yori Dango, Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, Gokusen (all three series) and Nobuta wo Produce.

16. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I love watching Korean dramas, though I prefer watching the old ones. The new ones mostly have members from idol groups, and they rarely know how to act. I will not wonder why Korean netizens complain about seeing these idol members whom I will not mention because I know they are popular (and I am not from the herd, so I don't patronize most of them, only some). There are idol members who can act, and have passed my hard-to-reach standards. Kang Minhyuk is one of them.

And speaking of old dramas, those from 2012 and back were so good. I watched "OB-Gyne Doctors" mainly because of Song Joongki. I really disliked Jang Seohee back in "Miss Mermaid," but she was so cool in "OB-Gyne." Even her choice of wardrobe had my thumbs-up. I also watched "49 Days" because I was intrigued by the story.

Only a few dramas from 2013 up are up to my standards, like "My Love From The Stars." Kim Soohyun and Gianna Jun had that undeniable chemistry.

Regarding Japanese dramas, I had not seen some from the 2012-present timeline, expect for "Bitter Blood." But that was because of Satoh Takeru, who became my Japanese bias because of "Rurouni Kenshin."