Four Gift Rule For Christmas

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by prose • Nov 17, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of the Four Gift Rule that some families use for their kids for Christmas? The Four Gift Rule is as follows:

1. Something they want.
    2. Something they need.
    3. Something to wear.
    4. Something to read.
    I really like the idea behind this rule, which is to take away the great amount of focus on receiving gifts on Christmas to focus more on the true meaning of Christmas. My son is too young to understand gifts this year (I think he will simply enjoy tearing in to the gifts), however I am considering using this rule in the future. Do you use this rule or a similar one for giving gifts to your kids at Christmas?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Being a writer I like the list a lot. When it comes to buying gifts it's not that easy as it seems. The fun part is window shopping for gifts I'll admit it! Unless you really know the person the gift is for it's not wise to buy gifts for rule #3 though, I feel. Sometimes a gift card will do for most people because they can get what they like with all the rules. Happy Holidays!

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I live by this rule too! The only thing is that my family does not like to read. I am the only reader in my family and my boyfriend's family is the opposite. They love to read! The four rules will work for them!

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, it truly is as easy as that! I have observed this rule for quite a long time and it seems to work well each time. Of course, you do also need to know the kids you're buying for. I don't have kids of my own, but we do have a lot in my family. So far, I've never noticed any one of them hating anything I've bought, so I must be doing something right :)

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any kids yet, but I think the 4 gift rule is a nice way to decide what you want to buy for your kids, since you have to make sure that it will be useful for them whether it's toys or clothes. I think clothes are the most practical gift for a kid.

6. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    This sounds like a great rule. My daughter already gets her fun stuff from Santa and then her clothes and noty such fun stuff from mommy and daddy lol. She has started to like reading more so she got a few books too. Idk if I could limit it to 4 though. I tend to spoil my little one :/ lol

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never used the rules when buying kids gifts but even without knowing of their existence I always bought kids only things which I knew they'd like and at times if one of them told me they wanted something [not necessarily as a gift] I'd surprise them — get it for them. It's a good list nonetheless. Parents and anyone unsure of what they should buy a child will find it very helpful.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this four gift rule is a cool idea but I won't be using it with my daughter because my limit is based on my budget, not the amount of gifts. So if my budget is, say $300, and I happen to get a good deal on 30 used video games on eBay,
    I'm not going to turn it down because of some limit on the number of gifts. As long as I stay under budget, I don't care about the number of gifts.

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I really love these rules alot. If it is something they want, the gift won't be regifted. If it is something they need, well that is self explanatory, they need it! If it is something to wear you can't go wrong with something comfy like pj's or practical like socks. I'm afraid rule number 4 will most likely apply to book lovers such as myself.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think I've been applying these rules subconsciously. I tend to think of the other person and what he or she wants or needs. If all else fails, I give them clothes or toys or even books. Kids are especially great examples of these rules because they can be quite difficult to gift especially if you don't know them too much. At least with this list, you're able to cross out what they don't want or need. If you can't think of anything else, clothes and books are pretty much good choices.