Fox, Raccoon, Squirrel for pets?

Discussion in Pets started by TuRon Davis • Sep 3, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered what it would be like to have a local wild animal as a domestic pet. To be exact a pet fox, raccoon, or squirrel. I understand that you can't take these guys in once they're wild, but I've seen videos where people actually domesticated them. If I had to pick one out of three, I would like to have a pet Fox. I think they are very cool. Which creature would you consider being a pet if you had to pick one?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We're more or less had pet squirrels for decades. My mom has been feeding them nuts and peanut butter sandwiches from our kitchen window for over 30 years now. We just don't allow them in the house (we're not chasing them around all day to get them out, plus we had three dogs). But our back yard is filled with them year round. They've gotten so bold that they will come up to our back screen door and bump into it then sit there standing on the door step staring in at us when they want more. They will also walk right up to us and take the sandwiches (sometimes peanut butter crackers, depending on what we make) right out of our hands.

Out of all the apartments I've lived in, Racoons were pretty much the norm. They were always in our dumpsters. I didn't mind them at all, I would just jiggle my keys when taking the trash out so they would hear me coming and get out of the dumpster. A few times though they didn't listen and a nailed them with the trash bag by accident. They did not sound happy, lol. We also had another tenant who was feeding all the stray cats nearby. Well, at least she thought she was, but it was the Racoons who were eating most of it. I would hear them fighting up a storm with the cats over the food, it was pretty funny.

I love the videos on Youtube with the little red foxes who let people pet them. You can see they are still wild, but they also remind me of my jack russel terrier a bit - something about their eyes and their facial expressions.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've personally never had a domesticated wild animal, but if I had to choose I would definitely pick a fox, they're so adorable and they seem so loving when they're domesticated. I've spent a good amount of time watching Youtube videos of them. I absolutely love the noises they make.

When my grandmother was a child, she had a pet skunk, which they had fixed so it could no longer spray. She said it was one of the sweetest animals she had ever had. and I know when she got a bit older, they had a monkey, but for some reason they didn't keep it very long.. But when she was an adult and had children (my mother and 3 uncles) they had went to look at a monkey, because they were considering it for a pet and everybody had went into the house and the monkey was sitting on the table, and it grabbed one of my uncles, and it basically traumatized him.

My other grandmother had a hybrid dog that was a Malamute and wolf mix.. I absolutely loved that dog.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely would get a squirrel out of the three. They are so adorable to me especially when they're standing there munching on their nuts. Foxes are pretty cute too but I find squirrels more appealing. I don't know if I would take any of these wild animals home though because my dogs would want to chase them. They already try really hard to when they see the squirrels outside.

5. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    My cousin had a squirl that was mean when it got older. It always waited on top of the kitchen counter and dived bombed there dad every morning. That little squirl hated men for some reason and was always trying to attack them.

My husband had a coon growing up and said it was like taking care of a toddler. They got into everything. I thought it would be cute to have a raccoon, but my husband said there a lot of trouble.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think squirrels would be nice pets as long as I can keep them in a cage, because I think if I let them loose they might chew on any part of the house. And after a quick Google search, I think they will be kept in a cage if ever I get a chance to take care of them. Just look at these squirrel horror stories:

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I've always wanted a fennec fox! They're SUPER adorable. They're legal to own as pets, but require a license. They're miniature foxes with adorable, large ears. A fennec fox would be my top pic for a 'wild animal' as a pet.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think I would prefer to have a squirrel as a pet. I think they are really delicate and very quick and active. The worst part about them is they live only for two years. I think they would make for a great pet and one that you could enjoy playing with.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think squirrels and foxes are really cute. They could make a fine pet for someone. I wouldn't get them as they are not part of our local wildlife and it would be very bad for our species if they get lost or are released. We already have a big problem with iguanas that where introduces as pets and are now everywhere.