Free And Discount Books (and Possibly Some Freelance Work, If You Want It)

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Diane Lane • Dec 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently found out about Bookbub, and signed up for notifications about the types of books I like to read. I don't recall how I heard about them, but I'm glad I did. I receive an email a day, never more than that, and it contains information about one or two free books, as well as others that are low cost, usually around $.99. There are options such as Amazon or Google, so the books are available in different formats, and since I don't have time to read a bunch of reviews, or go looking for books I want that are free or on sale, I find it very helpful.

Also, I found out today that they are looking for some writers who enjoy books and reading, to hire as paid contributor for their blog. If you're interested, you can find out more information

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use Bookbub and check it daily, but hadn't noticed they are looking for contributors. I may apply, although I'm not so good on quizzes. Maybe my old HubPages book reviews will come in handy as a sample? It's hard to know what they are looking for, but it depends on who applies I guess and they pick from what they get!

Thanks for this @Diane Lane@Diane Lane , who knows what it may lead to.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    It couldn't hurt to apply @Theo@Theo, especially if you already have some writing samples available. I'm not sure how their vetting process goes, but they seem like a reputable company, and I really enjoy getting their emails. A similar sounding account following me on Twitter the other day, but when I clicked to see their reviews, they sounded pretty juvenile, and the books weren't anything I was interested in, so I'll be sticking with Bookbub. Hope it works out for you!

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is more to be able you say you contribute to Bookbub than the actual payment. I would eventually like to list my books on the site, so it would be good to see what direction they are progressing in.

Bookbub does seem to want to attract a more 'reader based' review section rather than a critic, because the authors pay a good sum to list the books if they get accepted. With more free and discount books available, they need to hone in on the market as that's how they make money.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haven't had a look at the site yet but I intend to. I'm always looking for sites where I can legally download free ebooks and if I can get one free ebook from the site every day, that's good enough for me.

The $0.99 deals definitely are great for people who regularly buy ebooks. Who knows maybe one day I'll read a review of a book and it gets me to buy the book.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I've already read several that they've recommended in my daily emails. I rarely peruse Amazon or the internet for deals on e-books, so this is one way for me to increase my reading, which had been waning over the past several years. I can usually spare $.99 if it's a good book, and might even consider going above that if it's an excellent read. It does seem to me that Bookbub has better recommendations than most of the other similar sites I've found.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the other ways to get free books is your local library. My library was offering free books the other day in one of their large rooms. I expected to see older books, out of date and unread for years, but they had many recent hardback best sellers, tourist guides and the like. I need books like a whole in the head...but hey the price was right! I was impressed enough I think I will wander back there...maybe I can resell some.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is funny that I should run into this thread, as JUST last night I was looking for a book online, and I managed to stumble across bookbub. I did not like how I was not able to search for the actual book that I was looking for though. You can only specify the genre of of book, and I was not quite sure what genre the book I was looking for would come under.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love Bookbub. They are a great place to get free ebooks. I have downloaded quite a few from them. Of course, I have yet to read all of them yet. I just keep adding to my books to be read pile. One day I will get to them. There were a few other sites like them but I think they are the best. You can find free ebooks through Kindle also. I might have to check out their wanting contributors and see what that is all about. Thanks for the information.