Free Entertainment

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Diane Lane • Jun 9, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I selected where I live for many reasons, one of which was the proximity to the Gulf Coast, nature trails, and parks. I love that I can go out and entertain myself (and others) without spending any money, other than a little gas, if I choose to drive to the park or trails. I can walk to the beach if I want, so that saves even more money.

What do you do for free entertainment?

Attached Files:

2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Play board games: Apples to Apples, Ungame, Five-second Rule. Outdoor picnics. Dance (our favorite song, "Happy"). Cubby house renovations. Read-alouds (children love these). Save money for seeds and seedlings and plant them in season. Rope swinging. Nature photography (husband's hobby). Writing outside while children play with our Border Collie. Scooter at the shopping strip in town while we do errands, and then, head to the park at the skate board ramp surrounded by trees. Bike or walk on our graveled road

These fun things have not lost their touch with us.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I like to go on walks around places that I have never been to before, and I find that exploring those places gives me hours of entertainment that I don't have to spend a cent on. Also, if you are in any kind of park during the summer months, you often find that there is a band playing, and this means that you are just able to sit and listen to them whilst enjoying the sunshine - if you're lucky enough to get any, of course!

4. Natalie89

Natalie89Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky I live close to the beach, so lots of long walks on the beach with my little boy. Throwing stones into the sea, paddling, finding shells, collecting stones then making pictures with them on the sand, taking one home to make a paperweight by cleaning and painting it.

I adore the simplicity of activities like this and love that they're cheap too.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If my family wants to be entertained for free or cheap, we'd usually just cozy up at home and get some snacks to eat and watch a movie or binge watch a whole season of a series. For times when we feel like doing more than just staying still, we'd just go out for a bike ride at the park or walk around a bit or just play some activities at home like swim or throw frisbees.

6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I do exactly the same! I love to walk around the city and there are so many places inside of it I have never been before, what makes enjoyable discovering.

When not walking, I take a random public transport network bus, or get into a subway station to reach distant places that sound appealing to visit. There are countless of free public events in my city, and even free food to stop for lunch at many of them.

7. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    When for free entertainment I really enjoy taking walks outside and biking to my local store to shop around or just to get fresh air. I also enjoy watching movies/anime on my free time because it really makes time fly while being very enjoyable.

Something I also enjoy is taking pictures with my camera because I really enjoy taking photos of scenery and posting them on stock photography websites. It's a big hobby of mine and very entertaining while also being able to try and get some money while I'm at it :D.

8. MLNewkirk

MLNewkirkNew Member

Threads:
    My husband, son and I usually go to parks or for walks. We have been playing around with idea of getting bikes so that we can ride them around a lake near by. We also would like to try hiking, my husband has been doing research and found a lot of kid friendly hiking trails. Also, in the summertime our community offers free concerts. A city about 20min away from us also offers free concerts. We love them because they are family oriented. Lastly, usually while my husband is at work, I take my son to local libraries and bookstores for story time.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nature nature nature! I always felt like I was a city a girl until I realized, I only ever left the house when someone asked me to lol. I don't like walking around town or shopping or lunches or.. well, basically spend spend spend. I find no importance in city life. But when I'm living nearest nature, I'm out every day. I grew up in nature.. it's where I belong. I think most of us do though. In the city though, the kids and I will head to movies in the park, down to the water to hang out.. watch the ducks etc. Sounds boring, but we're really good at entertaining ourselves wherever we are.. kind of like choose happy, but "choose entertained" instead lol. There are always fireworks and free concerts of some sort, which both kids are taking after me.. they appreciate all music and will be at every concert they can get tickets for.. we have to live in the city for the most part, so we made sure to choose a place with lots to do (when where I really want to move would have us too secluded to support ourselves lol).

10. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Beautiful picture you shared. I love that here in CO we have so much free entertainment as well. There are tons of hiking trails, bike trails, walking trails, mountain scenery, rock climbing, children's museums, jump places, etc. There's so much to do without needing any money, just for gas maybe. But there are also a ton of great parks for kids, and even dog parks. I love that. I grew up in a tiny town and there was nothing to ever do. I don't understand how people can continue to live there, especially with kids. I could never move back in a million years. Though it's expensive, I love where I live. There are a ton of free days as well. We love to go to the free zoo days, those are the best. Or the children's museum. My kids absolutely love that place. But regardless, there's something for everyone to enjoy here no matter your situation. There are so many huge parks people like to just sit in the fields and hangout. I'm very thankful for all of it.

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Glad you liked the picture, thanks. I don't know where you live, but I just posted yesterday that back home (Massachusetts) the libraries have passes that members can borrow, so they can attend certain functions or events for free. Some of the passes are usually to museums and zoos. Some libraries even have art work you can borrow. It's really amazing, and I wish all libraries did such things.

Here's another free source of entertainment. Be sure to turn up the volume, because there's sound, as well as picture. This is the

for Cornell University. They posted a video on their Facebook page earlier of a buck making its way across the pond, it was beautiful!

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bird watch in my back yard. I feed the birds some leftovers that we have from time to time and I've trained them to know when I put out some food for them. The stop by checking and I get to see the birds in the neighborhood. The birds are very nice here in Hawaii. I bought a camera a Vivitar good for beginners and take a few photos when I see interesting birds or interesting things the wildlife does from time to time. I had pictures of a praying mantis that ventured on to a railing where I was waiting for the bus. He was sunning himself and climbing up and down the railing posing it seems for me while I take his pictures. It's fun to see what wildlife will do.

13. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9hNew Member

Threads:
    Go for walks at the park or explore places. I love to take pictures and just be in nature. I also enjoy just listening to music. I love to be near the water also.