Free games and micro-transactions.

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by prettycolors • Mar 15, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I was reading recently about Flappy Bird and how the creator made over 50000$ dollars per day with this free game. The only add he had was a top banner. Now, there are a many other mobile games that are free but make an income through micro transactions. Want more experience points? Pay real money. Want more time? Pay more money. And yes, there are people that pay. Me. I'm cheap and don't spend a dime.

I'm curious what you think about this type of transactions.
    Do you pay money for in game items?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I don't, but I know many who do. I don't support games that use microtransactions simply because 99% of those games are made with profit in mind. Two currencies... one allows you to do normal things and one is clearly overpowered. Want the overpowered one? Pay $$$. It's the olderst ripoff trick in the book and it's horrible.

Never made an in-game purchase, never will. If they create a game worth paying I'll pay for the game. I won't pay for additional content / power ups.

3. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    I don't make any in-game purchases unless it's an upgrade for the whole app/new chapter-type DLC, ad-free, and unlocking whatever was restricted before. I haven't downloaded any games that are like that, though, so I haven't spent money in a long time. I hate when developers create their game and poorly implement micro-transactions. You know it's poorly implemented when using real money seems to be the only way to progress, such as Star Girl. Haven't bought anything and reached the level cap, but I'm nowhere near a quarter of unlocking the clothes and accessories because most require diamonds and diamonds are rare to come by in the game, so need to be bought with real money.

I wouldn't mind if there was a game that tried to make micro-transactions fair. Can't think of any at the top of my head, but I personally believe this'd be fair: In a game where you can change clothes, weapons, accessories, etc. and it'd change how your character looked. There's a free sword and it's the most powerful you can equip. There's another sword, with the same power stats, but is stylized to look wickedly, crazy awesome compared to the free one. It's at .99 cents though.

Extra content should be for those that have the money to spend for it, not be necessary to progress in the game. Or they should give an option to earn premium currency by means such as viewing ads or downloading apps, so as to not take out your wallet. It'll be a while before anyone learns how to make micro-transactions work, though...

4. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I don't play games where you can pay for power. Microtransactions are a valuable way for smaller games and game companies to make money, especially when they are cosmetic or are used to circumvent grindy aspects of the game. For a community that often struggles with getting new developers off the ground, this can be a lifesaver.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. I mean I would pay for the game itself but having to buy in game items and all that stuff is, I think crossing my credit card. If it is a sort of DLC or expansion for the game then I guess I would throw in some money bit if its just a mere hit of XP then I just close the app.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used any of these to get more apps, I'm more than happy to wait 24 hours for a free spin to get more coins or earn them playing the game.