Free Internet Computers And Netbooks

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Krissttina Isobe • Sep 3, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:FREE internet computers and netbook borrows from the library is one of the greatest things of the age! With your library card you can borrow the internet computers at all your local libraries and even in Canada. My friend went to his library in Canada and borrowed an internet computer and wrote me about it! Here in Hawaii on Oahu we have internet computers at all the local libraries that you can have an hour session at a time and reset your card to go on for consecutive hours just have to reset your library card each time you finish one of the sessions. We can borrow netbooks that are about 12" long and with the free T-Mobile connect that's already equipped in the netbook your set to go. You borrow the netbook like a book with special contract signings for you'll be responsible for the little netbook till you return it. I'm on a waiting list for it at my neighborhood library in Kalihi.
    :rolleyes:Help your libraries here::D

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I knew about the desktop computers you could use with your library card, but I didn't know that you could actually check out a netbook. That is really good and very helpful for those that don't have computers at home.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if we have that option here. I know when I lived up in Houston, I could go to the library and borrow a laptop to use on site via their wifi, but it had to be returned after an hour. It's fabulous that they will actually let you take the netbook home with you. So, it sounds as if the netbook has internet access even when you're off site, via a mobile broadband card or some similar arrangement? That would be great for kids who had homework projects, who didn't have internet at home.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Internet use is the same at my local library too. We can use the computers for an hour at a time and keep resetting along as nobody is waiting. There's no hardware available to take off the premises though - but their free wi-fi can be accessed all over the city, the signal is that strong.

5. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Wow I can't believe they hand them out like that. They have computers set up at our local libraries, that people can use for an hour or longer. But they'd never hand them out. There's just too much risk in that. It's best to keep them in one spot so they won't get damaged, lost, or stolen. I'm sure they have insurance but still. Best to cut out the risk. You can sign up for an hour here with a library card and if you need longer you probably have to re sign up because a lot of people like to use them. But I love that they have that available in communities. It helps people apply for jobs, and put together resumes and other things. It also gives kids somthing to do so they're not out causing trouble.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think that would be applicable here because anyone who rents will probably just break or even steal it, so lucky for you it's something your country can do. I don't think we even have libraries here anymore, or at least not in my local area anyway. The last one I was able to go to was the one inside my university which obviously is closed to the public unfortunately. We did have computer and video rooms there where you could surf or even just watch a few movies, and they came in handy for me during long breaks.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing like that in my hometown.

But anyone who wants to surf the net without spending any money could do it since few people visit the local library and most of them don't spend much time in the library. If someone wanted to surf the net the whole day, I guess they can do it.

Anyway, borrowing Netbooks does sound cool. Hope we get some here soon.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is also nothing like that here in my area, and I think if there was an offer, it is very likely that these laptops will be stolen, lol. You guys have it good over there. I don't think 3rd world countries will offer such perks, we don't even have public libraries to begin with.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you can use the libraries at the computers here, but you are limited to a half hour or hour at a time. I don't know how long really, because I always bring my own laptop or internet device to the library in order to use their wifi. I don't like to be worried about how long I have to use the computer, or where I have to sit.

10. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t heard of anything like that before and I think it is an excellent idea. Rent a computer is a good way to embrace technology even for the common people. As OP already mentioned that it is preloaded all internet requisites it makes easier for us to use it. I think it will take time to replicate this practice in our country as computer literacy is still in the growing phase. But it is spreading at high speed and more and more companies like Facebook and Google are investing here keeping in mind the future potential. In that case rent a computer idea would also click in future I guess.

But I am a little bit concerned on the security factor. How we can know if the laptop we use is not preloaded with a program that can capture sensitive details we enter on this machine. It is quite possible in today’s world where scammers are always looking for new ways to cheat people. Is there any security measure against this?