Free Or Affordable Self-care Rituals

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by LeopardJones • Apr 14, 2015.

1. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think it’s always important to be good to yourself, but even more so when times get tough. I know it helps keep me grounded, even if only for brief periods. Care to share some of your favorite low-cost self-care and/or pampering rituals?

One of mine is sitting on my bed or in a comfy chair, cuddling a fuzzy blanket, drinking tea, and lighting scented candles or incense. Sometimes I’ll have my laptop with me, though I disconnect the internet and just read or write. Other times I’ll curl up with a good book.

Playing dress-up has always been therapeutic for me as well. If anything, it’s even more of a winner for me lately, since I’ve noticed myself gaining more muscle tone from my anxiety-induced workouts of late. Experimenting with makeup, or giving myself a fresh mani-pedi, are other coping strategy that rarely fail to work. I guess I enjoy knowing I’ve made an effort to look like I’m not royally losing my you-know-what. That, and reminding myself I do have talents. “I’ll find love in vanity,” I suppose.

Yoga has been a huge help since I started my practice a few years ago, but I’ve found I need to switch my routine up depending on the situation. Normally I like to strike a good balance between various asana types, but if I’m in an anxious state I prefer to focus more on the strength-building asanas. Depression calls for more flexibility and relaxation.

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    It's less of a ritual and more of a "thing", but I love coconut oil. I buy a big tub and it lasts a few months so its cheap for me. The thing I love about coconut is that it has all kinds of uses. I cook, clean, use it as a make up remover, hair conditioner, lotion, you name it.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Coconut oil is indeed a wonderful thing. I have yet to try cooking with it, but I use it for skin and body care, mostly makeup removal. It makes my skin feel so soft. I’m pretty sure coconut oil makes my skin more resilient when it comes to healing hormonal acne and such, too.

Another thing I like to include in my self-care rituals is Freeman’s avocado and oatmeal clay mask. I don’t use it too often, mostly when the hormones hit, but I can always tell a difference in my pores. Plus it’s cheap and the tube lasts ages.