Free or Cheap e-Books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by kjscrafts • Apr 14, 2012.

1. kjscrafts

kjscraftsMember

Threads:
    Where do you find free or cheap e-books? Do you find they are mostly not worth reading?

I am still more into real books, especially since I can typically find used books for cheaper than e-Books. However, I have found some deals for free or cheap e-Books through Pixel of Ink. Mostly, though, it seems they are not that great of books, although I do like checking out the more independent/self-published stuff I otherwise would not have known about. Pretty much the only way I get a good deal on a good book seems to be when I get the free rental using my Amazon Prime membersh

2. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    You can go to Project Gutenberg or Open Library if you want free classic books. If you're looking for self-published books, then check out Smashwords. Amazon usually gives great discounts and some free ebooks. :)

3. kjscrafts

kjscraftsMember

Threads:
    Yeah, Project Gutenberg is great for classics. I usually get their books through iBookshelf, so I can easily read them on my iPad. However, I am not too much into classics. Amazon does have good discounts and free ones sometimes, but it requires a lot of sifting through to find stuff worthwhile sometimes. That is why I like getting the Pixel of Ink newsletter, as even though a lot of it does not interest me I can quickly look at ebook deals from my e-mail instead of seeing if there is a new worthwhile deal on Amazon. Overall, though, I mostly just stick to the library for free books and the local used bookstore for cheap books.

4. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the free ebooks are going to be by people publishing their own work and it's sort of like finding a diamond in the rough. I know a lot of people who are trying to get into the ebook writing scene and they will publish some for free to get a fan base and then start releasing them for 99 cents or so until they work their way up.

I think that the best way to get free ebooks is to go to your local libraries. A lot of libraries will let you check out books as ebooks! I don't care about owning most of the books I read, I just want to read them. So it's a great option and saves a lot of money.

5. Zacko

ZackoExpert

Threads:
    Before buying any sort of ebook or anything, I always check through a site called

to see if it's been freely uploaded on the Internet before, this has saved me literally hundreds of dollars, as I've even found some textbooks on it.

6. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    Scouring the free books at Amazon can turn up some really good free books worth reading. I look for books that are the first in a trilogy or series. They're often very good and they're free because they are trying to tempt you into buying the rest of the books in the series. Kobo has a large free book section, but be careful because many are just nothing more than free samples or a few chapters trying to draw you into buying the books. I don't find that problem at Amazon.

7. vxacid

vxacidNew Member

Threads:
    Amazon has a bunch of free public domain books, and has all kinds of discounts and sales going on year round!

I also just remembered, many libraries are starting to lend out digital copies of their books. Try looking on your local library's website, and see if you can get anything!

#7Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    If you've got a Kindle you can get a TON of free books. Most of the free stuff I get is nonfiction, history stuff that I'm interested in.

9. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    A friend pointed me out to this site. Every day it lists some free books for your kindle.

Baen has had free sci-fi ebooks for a long time. I downloaded a few for my kindle the other day.

10. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    If love e-books, I just need to read a book, not really own them so it does not matter. I do buy books but many have gone missing (the paperbacks) as I borrowed them to people and they never returned it. I mainly use the library. However, if you are looking for a specific book - you can try googling the name of it and free e-book with it, and see what comes up.

One of the best books I have ever read was a free e-book, so do not rule out anything. Happy reading.

11. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    There is a website called Scribd. They have many, many e-books (cheap and free). I would definitely check them out. I have gotten so many e-books from there.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not checked into getting ebooks from the library although I knew the service is available at the local library.

13. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Theses are really good to know about. I didn't know there were so many websites to get free ebooks from. My daughter has a Kindle so I will let her know about all of these. I also didn't know that you could get them through a library. I will have to check and see if our local library offers that service.

14. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Although I do not own an eBook reader, I know the Amazon Kindle offers thousands of free books that are out of copyright. For someone like me who enjoys the classics more than the neoteric selections out there, this is a perfect option! I'm sure there are various outlets out there that offer free books in all genres, like biographies, fiction, science, etc.

15. ebookshop4me

ebookshop4meNew Member

Threads:
    You can find many cheap ebooks online at

16. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey! I suggest maybe you could try looking for some free eBooks over at BookDepository.com, which provides over 11,000 titles of eBooks mainly by classic authors such as Charles Dickens and Aristotle. I've already posted this as a thread somewhere under the freebies section, but here's the direct link to the website. Hope it helps!

17. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well if your still into reading regular books,along with E-books, here are some suggestions on finding deals on these. Go to the library, its gotten to the point where some libraries are selling some of their books to raise money, and are even having book fairs, which is a great way to find book deals. Find a thrift store in your area, these usually have a book section and can have many variety of books at good discount prices. Another suggestion, go to yard sales, these also can have books that can be at a great discount. Check your local grocery store, I know that mine has had some discounts on book in the front of the store. One last suggestion, check out the dollar stores in your area these can also have books, maybe not that wide a selection, but some can be found there.

18. gwydion

gwydionNew Member

Threads:
    Amazon will have lots of eBooks available. Many are classics out of copyright, others are books that Amazon has discounted, others are books that the authors have discounted to bolster sales or to get their names more widely know. I write recipe eBooks myself, so I know these practices well!

Project Gutenberg has loads and loads of out of print books available in many formats and as most eBook readers handle PDF files you can also search the web for 'free eBooks' or 'free PDF'.

If you want to convert a PDF file to something that's easier to read and handle on an eBook, just do a web search and look for 'Free ebook converter'. I use Epubor on my Mac that will convert to both nook and kindle versions.

Google also have free eBooks available both through Google books and through Google Play.

With eBooks becoming ever more popular, there are more and more sources appearing each and every day so finding free books will not be a problem and as you can convert between formats you need not be stuck with a single platform or eReader type.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually found a lot of good ebooks on amazon that were free and they were good books the ones that grab your attention and leave you wanting more.

20. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I found most of my ebooks online for free. I always go to google.com and search the name of the book followed by eBook at the end. 9/10 times I find it free or very cheap. There are plenty of site you could get them free but I'm not at home at the time, so I can't tell you now.