Free Pet Scams

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Mudd04 • Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    Have you been the victim of one? Tell us your story.

The scammers place classified ads for free or for shipping only adoption fees for popular animals like English Bulldogs, Yorkies, Maltese, Capuchin Monkeys, Squirrel Monkeys, Spider Monkeys, Hyacinth Macaws, African Grey's and just about every other pet you might think you want using stolen pictures. They even steal information from real breeder and seller websites to help lure you in and then they make your money disappear while breaking your heart. The pet they are describing never existed and was all a ploy to steal money and never be seen or heard from again. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

These classified ads can wind up being most of the ads on free classifieds sites and target people looking for free and cheap pets to adopt. They will also target pet wanted ads telling you that you are in luck and even the sellers with the variation on the sending the check for more than I owe you scam.

2. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly have a hard time feeling sorry for people who fall for these sorts of things. I mean really? You thought you would just send someone from craigslist money and they would send you a pet back? A good rule of thumb is to never give anyone money for anything until you are actually exchanging goods or you know for fact the person is reputable.

3. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    This thread was the first thing I saw when I logged in. The title made me el oh el.
    "Free Pet Scams?" You had me at free.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    People are constantly coming up with new ways to scam innocent people. It is sick what they do to people, but unfortunately it is happening more and more. I never heard of the pet scam tho. I would not get a pet that I couldn't go in and see or buy in person tho.

5. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    If something seems too good to be true, it is. If it's not, then oh well, but usually it is and you will do well to stay away from such situations. NEVER EVER EVER give someone money up front. EVER. This is the hallmark for a scheme and will always end up with the buyer being left empty handed and a little lighter in the wallet. These scams abound because people fall for them...every time. Be smart and protect yourself.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt if the victims are innocent.

Scams do not work on sensible people. Scams only work on greedy people. They only work on people who expect to get a lot for nothing. For example, anyone with some sensibility, can immediately figure out that there is no way that a pure-breed Shih Tzu is being given away for free. Only a greedy person who thinks that the other person is stupid for wanting to give away such a precious dog for free, will be tricked.

As he deserves to be.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    This thread caught my attention when I logged in, too. I had never heard of "free pet scmas" before so was curious to learn about them. I would never get a pet without seeing it in person first so no worries here! I think if you really wanted to get an expensive breed for cheap or free, you should find a shelter or rescue group that caters to the particular breed.

8. Mudd04

Mudd04New Member

Threads:
    I am very glad to hear that nobody posting here so far has fallen for this yet but they do in droves as hard as it can be to believe. Someone to tell their story can serve as good warning. A search on a place like rip off report for puppy scams and Africa, Cameroon, Nigeria will net you pages of results. It's an everyday part of my life so I am surprised to hear how many people haven't even heard of it. When it becomes common knowledge maybe it won't be quite as profitable for them. English Bulldogs are extremely common and they are VERY easy to spot once you know what to look for. We get regular calls from people who have sent money and a friends sister did for a Maltese as well.

Another one is the free monkeys. I find the responses sad and disappointing but the ad posts hilarious having experience with dogs AND primates. They don't even use the right species in the pictures a great deal of the time. Then very little of the ads apply to monkeys or make sense and they will use a lot of their copy and paste from the puppy and dogs ads though the two have almost no similarities.

An AKC Capuchin, Squirrel, Marmoset, Spider monkey (etc.) baby that is already trained, well or respectful of other pets and children and comes with pedigree and dog shots and other applicable non primate boosters under a picture of a very different species cracks me up every time. I've seen AKC birds on their posts as well.

Brought to you by the same lovely folks that send you the fantastic emails that allow you to win non existent lotteries and need your help to get millions out of the bank, members of the FBI and IRS , that send you checks for items for more money than you owe them and generously allow you to keep a share, that hire you as a mystery shopper and other various schemes.

9. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    I had not heard of this particular scam. I thought this might be about "bunchers," people who collect free animals. They will follow up on ads on places such as Craigslist wanting to adopt your free pet. Sometimes they will even bring children with them to give the impression that the animal will be going to a nice family home. Instead they are collecting animals to sell to research facilities.

10. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I originally thought the same thing. But I am always amazed at the new ways people find to cheat people. Only the worst people have the time to sit around and think of stuff like this.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    EXACTLY, you hit the nail on the head. What greedy and lazy people fail to notice is, Most scams that run online actually give you clues to them being scams and the scammer even gives you the opportunity to use your brain and know it's a scam through what they say and explain to you.

E.G "Do you want to make money online, quick, easy and without putting much effort in?" "If you're the type of person who hates working hard to earn a decent living and would rather sit at home on the couch and make instant cash from your computer screen, then this is for you" "Keep reading if you're WILLING to purchase my secret formula to making quick, easy cash online, RIGHT AWAY"

Ya know who ends up buying from them? Greedy, Lazy people. The rest get sieved out half way through reading it and leave the site knowing it's a scam.

12. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't understand how anyone can fall for these types of things. The claims on ads such as these are so outrageous why would anyone who has above a 6th grade education fall prey. I can't help but wonder that the type of people who do allow themselves to be scammed are always looking for the easy and free road to get ahead. Which also leads me to believe that maybe they have some scamming in their closets as well. For those who play and get played on, you got what you deserved. Those that just didn't think, I feel sorry for you, not because you got scammed, because obviously you can't think.

13. rodnimac

rodnimacNew Member

Threads:
    One incident happen in my neighborhood but i have trapped those persons with intelligence.They try to sell Yorkie dog to old couple at high rate at that time i will be there so check out price on their online website which shows its cost less.So i am feel worried and say i don't want your dog also complaint to police and file a court case against company.Then they go back without selling dog.

14. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time believing that people fall for these scams as well. Some of them are so far fetched it's almost crazy but I imagine they catch some seniors from time to time. I don't know why anybody would buy a pet off of craigs list in the first place. There are lots of rescue and adoption organizations out there.