Free vs Paid shipping and shipping times

Discussion in Online Shopping started by nonsiccus • Jan 14, 2015.

1. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I see this often on Amazon where a vendor will sell a product for two different prices, one that is free shipping and another that is paid shipping. The total cost of the paid shipping item will be slightly more expensive, but have a much quicker turnaround time (say 3 days). The free option will be slightly cheaper overall, however you're likely to wait several weeks for the item.

What's your typical approach? Do you opt in to waiting for some savings, or would you prefer to have your item in hand?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm quite patient, so I prefer to just wait a while to get my items. But so far, I have never noticed any Amazon seller that offered free international shipping, so I tend to just shop in Ebay because of that.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always prefer free shipping, but it depends on the item and if it's bulky then it may be good value to have a flat shipping rate. My friend ordered some furniture and it was easier for her to pay shipping as she doesn't have a car so in the long run it saved her money and time. Even when you pay for express shipping it's not guaranteed if it is international because of customs, so you have to consider that as well.

4. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I will usually get an item with free shipping versus paid shipping. I do not mind waiting for the product unless it is something I need immediately. I would rather save money. Besides, I was without the item before. A week or two will not hurt. Also, I have Amazon prime so many of the products will arrive in a couple days. Prime eligible items have free shipping, too.

5. Birmingham

BirminghamNew Member

Threads:
    I recently had a need for a faucet and found the model on Amazon. As a prime member, I was hoping for free 2 day shipping, but I wasn't that lucky. I did however find one that offered Free Shipping and I was pleased, checked out, and then realized that my plumbing project couldn't be completed for 2 weeks. Yuck. I wasn't happy. It took them 10 days before they shipped the item, and it arrived 3 days later. If I need it now, I'll pay a little extra. I'll also read the fine print more clearly. I'm familiar with saving money and waiting for the item to be shipped from overseas, but this was coming from inside the US. Listings like this are subject to negative feedback, fortunately some sites make the sellers accountable for customer satisfaction.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have Amazon Prime, and most of the things we buy come with the free 2-day shipping. The items that are not prime often cost quite a bit more by the time you add on the shpping costs, plus you have to wait longer for the package to arrive. Some of thenon-prime items that have free shipping do take a long time to ship and be delivered, and it is always good to look and see if it is comming from China or some place where it will take a long time to get there.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon Prime is well worth it if you order a lot from them. You also get to use the Instant Video service for free. If you already use a subscription video service, there is a potential saving to be made.

8. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go for the free shipping option. The longest that I have waited for an order with free shipping is about 5-6 days (which isn't t really that long). There are some websites that deliver fast with free shipping, which is about 4 days. They aren't faster that paid shipping (of course) but it's still pretty fast.

9. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    If the price is under a dollar more than I will just go with the faster option. You just don't understand how impatient I am about receiving items through the mail. The simple fact is that if the faster option is just about a dollar more than why wait two more weeks to save a dollar?

10. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Generally I prefer free shipping option and wait a while to get my product. If there is expensive or bulky product then I think it's good to select paid shipping option, last month I bought some grocery products and so paid shipping was best option for me that time to get them early in my hand.

11. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    I would definitely invest in a prime membership - $70 for a year and if you do a lot of online shopping it's worth it. You also get access to the streaming video if you have a roku or other web streaming device.

The trick is planning ahead - with a prime membership you can get your items in 2 days with no extra cost. That's the site I do nearly all of my on-line shopping so I would say that is the way to go.

Paying for shipping - if you can avoid it, do it, but again, plan ahead. Groupon you have to pay but usually the savings is worth it - for instance you buy a pair of earbuds that sell at Target for $14.99 plus tax you pay in the neighborhood of $17.00 including the tax.

You can get the same item for $8.99 on Groupon and pay the $4.00 to ship it and you still come out about $3.00 ahead.

12. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    You are so right. I tend to be more of an impulsive person and want things right when the idea pops in my head, so it's harder for me to wait. I usually would want to pay more and have it come quicker. Patience is not my strong suit, lol. However, I don't always have the money to pay more for the expedited shipping, so sometimes I just choose the free option knowing that it will take longer. I guess maybe it's good to try to build some patience within myself, lol!

13. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely go with the free shipping because it's the best for me. I prefer to wait for my item to come to me but if I needed it right away then I would pay extra to have it sent to me sooner. I'm a very patient person so I don't mind waiting a little while longer for my product that is free shipping.

14. RobertCMcElveen

RobertCMcElveenNew Member

Threads:
    I can wait for several weeks if it comes to saving. I am a patient buyer. I always wait to buy items to get deals, coupons, so I can also wait for delivery to save some money.

15. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends. I like saving so I don't mind waiting. I think that there's always a catch somewhere but I'm okay with waiting. Of course, if it's something I've been hunting down for a while and need it for a special day then I'll pay the shipping to get it quicker.

16. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I just wait it out for the most part. I use to use Amazon all the time but overall their shipping cost more than Ebay. I recently switched to Ebay and it's been working out fine. Ebay has more free shipping options on the same products that Amazon has. Another reason why I like Ebay is the fact that they accept paypal. Amazon does not.

17. meenz

meenzNew Member

Threads:
    Even though I am extremely impatient, I do prefer to not pay for shipping. My policy is that if I can get it cheaper, I'll do it. I don't have too much money as it is currently, so I always try to find the cheaper deals. Though it may take a longer period of time to get my item, I will end up getting them eventually, so I'm fine with it.

18. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I purposely look for items that are free shipping and I haven't really noticed a delay in shipping at all; if I choose standard shipping (3 - 5 days) I will usually get the item within 3 -5 days if not less depending on where it is being sent from.
    I have noticed on some items that have paid shipping, the shipping is more than the item. Something is wrong with that picture.

19. Hurin

HurinNew Member

Threads:
    I usually just go with free shipping. If I really wanted the item that urgently, I would walk down to a local store and get it. Free shipping is usually really fast for me anyway. I usually get my items at the nearest estimated date. I've also heard that most of the delivery services that Amazon uses actually makes no distinction between expedited and normal shipping. So you are essentially paying for something that you would otherwise get. Of course if your item doesn't arrive in 2 days when you choose 2-day shipping, I think Amazon will refund you.

20. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It would depend on how much I need that item at the moment. I usually go for the free shipping just to save a few dollars but for that I have to make sure that the item I'm purchasing isn't of immediate need otherwise I'd go for the more expensive shipping option.